Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
as high as possible, attached my 108" whip, cranked up the Ratheon, and made contact about 150 air miles away!!

Like I said, the 'air' was quiet in those days, and I suspect you couldn't do that today with a 'legal' CB radio, with all the background 'noise' one has to try and cut through these days...

I've heard this from number of oldtimers. Nowadays we have to chase our tails for clean, noise-free power and be mind-numbingly perfectionistic about vehicle-bonding.

Radio Telephone / Mobile Radio Installation Guidelines

Welcome to KōBG's Web Site

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Atmospheric skip helps too. I was on I-70 passing through Hays, Kansas one night in 2003, and was able to talk to a trucker in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I was talked to a guy in Missouri once, when I was in high school, in Maryland.

I'll have to check out Ranger Hill CB Shop, when I get up there. The dual Firestiks look pretty sharp on my hauler bed...it'd be a shame to ditch one.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
In college in the late 70's I put a CB in my Triumph Spitfire and mounted a whip antenna on the back bumper. It looked like a remote control toy car! After a big snowstorm (lake-effect in northern Indiana) the only part of the car I could find was the antenna!

I actually applied for (and received) a license to operate it. I still remember the call sign and use it as my most-secret password.

Now I have a hand-held with a magnetic-mount roof antenna. I'm really surprised at how little chatter there is on the road compared the 70's - and its a lot trashier now.

I'm also surprised at how few RV'rs have CBs - let alone Airstreamers.
Just my 2 bits.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have a CB in my B-van. I rarely turn it on. I used to use CBs a lot, but in recent years there have been far more jerks (well, I could use much stronger words) on them. I get tired of the stupidity pretty quickly and shut it off.

Funny story: a couple years back I was on the PA Turnpike when a cop rolled by. One of the truckers said something like, "Why don't you just pull off and get some coffee so we can all get going?" The cop replied, "You worry about your ****ing job and I'll worry about mine." Score one for the PA State Police!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have messed around with CB's since the seventies and still have a couple when traveling I always have one cant hurt cell phones dont work everywhere.. I give a thumbs up for the Cobra 29 LTD Classic thats what I have and a Wilson 5000 magent mount antenna . I to also have a CB licience from the seventies dont use it as a password though...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
CB and Ham both

Stuck four hours on I-95 southbound for two overturned trucks. No amateur radio operators we talked to were aware of the situation. But we picked up the northbound truckers' CB talk and one of these said, as he drove by, "That's gonna take four hours to clear up". He was dead-on accurate.

So it helps sometimes to hear what's going on from the highway professionals, these guys in the big trucks.

We cannot always reach a ham (an amateur radio operator) when we're mobile but we often do, and have met some nice folks all over North America on the mobile ham radio. The mobile ham radio has a lot more range than the CB does (e.g., >50 miles simplex conversation driving up I-5 north, an hour or two south of Shasta, and regularly get 30 to 50 mile contacts with repeaters).

And if we need help and can't raise anyone with uhf or vhf, we can use the hf rig in the trailer. The contact we make may be 600 or more miles away, but they will help us connect with the needed contact.

We highly recommend CB radio for road news and are glad we have amateur radio for good connections.

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
This ex-trucker will always have a CB on while on the road. When there's a traffic jam you'll be able to learn which lane to be in. Truck drivers tell other drivers what the delay is & which lane will get you through it. It's easier when you can get in the right lane early. I turn the radio off when approaching exits where truck stops are. that's where most of the trash talk happens. You can also just talk while the wheels are rolling. This helps you stay awake if you start feeling groggy. If you get tired though, please get off the road. I've nere had a fellow Airstreamer try to call out to me on channel 14 (old time rally/camper channel) or on channel 19 Trucker & road traveler channel). Ocasional I'll hear a child talking on their walkie-talkies. (Chan 14)

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Thanks for the reminder...I've still got my old 60's CB license around somewhere...can't remember the whole thing...something like '---3206'
Ray
Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Any later model Silverado owners have experience with mounting a CB antenna on the driver's side hood mount? It sure looks preferable to a roof-mount magnetic antenna, if it's feasible. Thank you. -- John
Old 11-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The roof -- measured center of the vehicle -- is always the preferred mounting point for best reception/transmission. I use a hood mount at present because I do not have a magnetic mount antenna (but several others).

A mag mount WILSON "Little Wil" is a great (temporary) magnetic antenna; or for the occasional user.

About Magnet Mounts | Wilson Antennas

A better point is the truck bed stake hole on the passenger side, just behind the cab, for a regular antenna. The radiation pattern is better than with a hood mount.

GI JOE'S: Firestik Cb Antenna Mounts Parts & Accessories - Firestick

This is the one to have:

Breedlove Machine

You can run the coax into the cab thru the cab-rear ventilation exhaust. See your vehicle manufacturer guidelines for installation of two-way radios for best results.

You'll want the coax to have a bit of slack at either end, but measure with some rope or similar to have exact length, and order from:

RAR Experts Coax Cable : RadioActiveRadios.com

This is a FORD guideline for radio installation:

http://ddxg.net/files/mobile_radio_i...tion_guide.pdf

The difference between a good installation and an ordinary one is one of miles -- real honest-to-G miles -- and it matters. "Receive" trumps "Transmit" in this regard, so quiet power, no avoidable losses, and a very well-tuned rig will pay itself back when it matters. One can hear those voices of sanity amongst the idiots. A bad installation means one will only hear what is going on about a half-mile around versus 5-7 miles or more during the day.

A very good antenna on a cheap radio with a first rate installation performs as well or better than a high-dollar radio with a typical installation.

My posts above have more information as well.

Good luck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I took REDNAXís excellent advice and installed the Firestik Extended Stake Hole Mount, http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm. Also a Firestik antenna. With a Midland Micro Mobile-Portable CB, http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822, my reception range is good and transmissions are clear. A classic CB with a dozen controls might be preferred by some but I wanted simplicity and got it with this setup. Iíve enjoyed using the CB on caravans and itís reassuring to have a backup when I donít have cell phone service.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
A good CB is still an important tool to have on the road.
On Sunday, Aug 23, we got caught in a major traffic snag in downtown Chicago, and if it had not been for the CB, it would have been a dull 4.5 hours sitting in one spot on I-90 eastbound. In that type of situation, it is easy to keep informed as to what is the cause, and how the situation is progressing. Many funny stories also. Some of those truckers can be more entertaining than any adult comedy show on TV.
I travel with the CB on low volume, and when it starts to be active, you know there is something happening ahead.
Dave
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So how will the NTSB announcement today affect CBs.
They are calling for a nationwide ban on handheld ELECTRONICS while driving. Story focuses on cell phone calling and texting, but the phrase calls out ELECTRONICS......hmmmm....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
So how will the NTSB announcement today affect CBs.
They are calling for a nationwide ban on handheld ELECTRONICS while driving. Story focuses on cell phone calling and texting, but the phrase calls out ELECTRONICS......hmmmm....
No need for handheld... just plug your David Clark headset into the radio.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote