Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Shack coming together (at last)

Have almost all the pieces and parts either here or on the way. Have my TS2000, my Henry 3KD Classic, My HI Q. Having my ant mount made up and my trailer brake controler installed. All I lack is my new (to me) Airstream. I'll be picking that up Saturday/Sunday. Then I get to install my station in her. Had pondered long and hard about the antenna. Originally considered a 30 foot whip and coupler but then decided to run some power and a coupler for legal limit is very spendy. Considered the Butternut but that just isnt "portable" enough.. The HIQ seems to fit the bill pefectly. It came in the mail yesterday and I am very impressed with it. We'll see how impressed I am after I get it installed and running. It is of course a compromise. Anyhow, I'm getting more and more excided..

Lee
NI7I
pixiehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Sounds like some kind of radio setup?
Can you explain a little more?
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
No Boondocking for you!

Lee,

Unless you forget the amp and go QRP on the TS2000!

You might even need to think about how to get more than 30 Amps to the TT when you are in a campground.

Looking at your background, I'll bet you have it all figured out...

Ralph
KI4KC
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Lee,

Unless you forget the amp and go QRP on the TS2000!

You might even need to think about how to get more than 30 Amps to the TT when you are in a campground.

Looking at your background, I'll bet you have it all figured out...

Ralph
KI4KC

Howdy Ralph,
Couple of things I can do. One, the amp draws about 30 or a bit less on 110v at 1500 watts. Dont need to run max smoke. could run 500 watts and still have plenty left over on a 30a service. Another thing I could do is run an inverter off the 4 deep cicle 12v batteries which should work. Some camp sites offer a 50a service which would solve a lot of those issues. Then, there is the possibility of not using the amp.. Actually the trailer will sppend most of its time in the back yard where I have all the amps I need. I baught the trailer with the idea of its primary task being my radio shack.. Camping will be secondary job.

Lee
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Sounds like some kind of radio setup?
Can you explain a little more?
Al

Yup, it would be that. I baught the Airstream to serve primarily as my ham radio shack. I just retired from a career as a merchant marine Radio Officer. Havent had a shoreside radio station for 30 years and this is my retirement present to me. the trailer and enough radio toys to keep me busy for some time.

Warmest Regards
Lee
Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Pictures, someday, when you have the chance!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Pictures, someday, when you have the chance!

Starting monday, when I have my new (to me) Airstream home, I'll be starting to install gear and will be phographing the adventure. Of course I have a strong union that enforces the strictest beer to work ratio during the day and Irish whiskey to work ratio when the sun slips below the yard arm.. photos may be a bit fuzzy..

Lee
Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
My new shack (27 ft 74 Overlander) is now in my yard. Just got her home this evening from Bend> oregon to Grants Pass. Long run for my first time with a trailer behind me. We survived quite nicely. The Yukon towed her like a dream. Even got her backed into the side yard with no misshaps. Was dark or I wold have started the process. Tomorrow will get her leveled, water / electricity hooked up and begin transforming her into a ham shack/RV. Need to figure out where to but the henry.. Not sure the dinette will hold the weight. May have to build a table. Anyhow, I ramble. Thinking of documenting everything with phots if anybody is interested..

Lee
NI7I
Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Good luck with your new 'StreamShack, Lee!

Don't expect the dinette to hold much weight. We'd love to see photos!!!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Put the Henry on the floor under the dinette... It can double as a foot warmer and keep your center of gravity low!
Between 'steams...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Put the Henry on the floor under the dinette... It can double as a foot warmer and keep your center of gravity low!

Good idea but I'm too old to crawl under the dinette to tune the thing.. Found a heavy duty metal bench that will work if I clean it up and paint it. It's about as big as half the dinette so I can fold the dinette over and
have room for both.. havent rally had a shot a checking it out yet.. jus t got in last night and have just now recovered from the 5 hourr drive over the mountains.. The pass was about 5000 feet and we were worried about ice. Made the trip stressfull but there was no ice.. Heck of way to find out that towing wasnt that big of a deal.. Goikng out to the trailer after the sun warms it up a bit.. think the first thing to to will be to figure out the furnace..

Lee
NI7I
Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Radio Shack Stuff

Have the Airstream and now have all the pieces and parts. Was almost 70 here in Grants Pass, Or and I managed to get in and do some work. didnt really get much done.. The Hamerhead Ale was there in the fridge and .... wll I am still a sailor at heart. All the gear is now inside the trailer except the 2 mtr / 70 cm ant which is on a pole propped up against the front of the trailer. Rewired for 50 amp service. Here are some pictures of the "stuff" Just laying around where I left it.

Anybody tell my why my fridge wont run on 110? Followed the instructions in the owners manual.. ONly thing I can think of is that the Airstream isnt quite llevel. Is that critical?

Lee
NI7I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	76885   Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	76886  

Name:	shack 3.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	76887   Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	76888  

Name:	shack 5.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	76889   Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 6.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	76890  

Name:	shack 7.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	76891  
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Looks like it is all coming together. I have found that the fridge does not have to be perfectly level, but close. Have you tried it on gas? Do a search for threads dealing with the problem... lots of good stuff out there like:

Why They Fail
Between 'steams...
Old 03-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Refrigerator problems

I have been reading up about the vintage refrigerators. They are temperamental. The thread I read said to put a level in the freezer compartment and to be sure that it is level from front to back and side to side. I also read that if the trailer has been sitting for a long period that the refrigerator may need to be burped! Yes, burped. One person said they drove around stopping and starting as though testing brakes and it worked. Others said they removed the refrigerator, tipped it upside down, let it sit upright for a couple days, then it started right up. Corosion on a panel on the back was also a problem, once cleaned off creating good contacts the refrigerator worked again. We are about to test out our 68 Avion refrigerator so Iam prepared for the worst. These solutions are discussed in detail on an Avion forum if you need diagrams and more details.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I like the picture with the beer in it the best.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I like the picture with the beer in it the best.

That's a brew from Mcminamins in Oregon.. Great beer.. it is, of course, gone to its maker, alas. Next group of pictures will have as a guest, on of my favorite Irish adult beverages. That's probably why it's taking me so long to get my radio station on the air..

Lee
NI7I
Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Been reading this thread with interest. But it seems to me that a lot of wiring, coax pulling, antenna tuning, etc. is gettin' in the way of the Hammerhead and the Bushmills. You need to speak to your union rep.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Are you going to mount the screwdriver on the Airstream roof with a lay-down mount? Tarheel has a motorized one that looks pretty handy.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiehat View Post
That's a brew from Mcminamins in Oregon.. Great beer.. it is, of course, gone to its maker, alas. Next group of pictures will have as a guest, on of my favorite Irish adult beverages. That's probably why it's taking me so long to get my radio station on the air..

Lee
NI7I
Sounds good to me! If you check my blog linked below, you'll see that my taste in photographs (and, likely, beers) runs along the same lines as yours.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Been reading this thread with interest. But it seems to me that a lot of wiring, coax pulling, antenna tuning, etc. is gettin' in the way of the Hammerhead and the Bushmills. You need to speak to your union rep.

That's one of the problems with retirement. the union officials dont pay much attention to youo onece you quit going to sea. May have to find another union. Or, I could find somebody who, taking pity of my advanced age, will do the wire pulling, antenna tuning etc while I attend to the more important duties regarding Hamerhead (and others) and Bushmills or even Tilamore Dew.

Lee
NI7I