Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Re-Purpose Telephone Jacks?

I'm astounded that my 2008 27FB was built with telephone jacks. Presumably an input outside and then jacks for extensions inside.

I'm curious if anyone has done anything with these jacks/wiring?

I don't think phone lines can carry much data - except back in dial-up days?

Or is is just a funny anachronism to look at for conversation?
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quit that, you're making me feel old.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They will carry quite a bit of data. That's how DSL works, after all.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
I'm astounded that my 2008 27FB was built with telephone jacks. Presumably an input outside and then jacks for extensions inside.

I'm curious if anyone has done anything with these jacks/wiring?

I don't think phone lines can carry much data - except back in dial-up days?

Or is is just a funny anachronism to look at for conversation?

Pop the covers off and see if they ran twisted pair and if it was 8 conductor or just 4. If it’s twisted you could use it for Ethernet. If it’s 8 conductor cat5 you could get up to 1gig; if not you might be limited to 10/100. But that’s assuming you have something to connect to on the outside. Everyone just uses campground WiFi now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Phone jacks! Imagine! My '69 has the funky three-prong jack for a TV antenna, and they even put 8-track players in some models a few years later! I think they still install RCA jacks and coax in them today.

Your ubiqutous HDMI and USB Type A jacks will soon seem just as anachronistic. The great thing about having solid technical standards is that there are so many of them to choose from -- AND they last at least a good year now before they are obsolete.

It would be great if AS just installed conduit and let us snake in and out cabling over time. Cabling? Ha! The future is wireless! Or was it "Plastics?"
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Phone jacks! Imagine! My '69 has the funky three-prong jack for a TV antenna, and they even put 8-track players in some models a few years later! I think they still install RCA jacks and coax in them today.

Your ubiqutous HDMI and USB Type A jacks will soon seem just as anachronistic. The great thing about having solid technical standards is that there are so many of them to choose from -- AND they last at least a good year now before they are obsolete.

It would be great if AS just installed conduit and let us snake in and out cabling over time. Cabling? Ha! The future is wireless! Or was it "Plastics?"
Indeed - a conduit would have been great for running whatever we want.

I do find it a bit odd that my 2008 model still had the telephone jack.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

^^^This! This would have been so helpful when it comes to adding external antennas, replacing any of the electronics, etc.

I’ve often thought this should be true for homes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Nowadays I just run lots of 'Smurf tube**' anchored properly to undedicated low voltage wall boxes in strategic locations...but minimize the bends--unless you LIKE not being able to use a pull snake to put wires in the stuff...don't ask how I learned this...

** The weird blue corrugated flex conduit available in nice handy rolls in the big box home improvement stores, preferably the bigger diameter the better.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Nowadays I just run lots of 'Smurf tube**' anchored properly to undedicated low voltage wall boxes in strategic locations...but minimize the bends--unless you LIKE not being able to use a pull snake to put wires in the stuff...don't ask how I learned this...

** The weird blue corrugated flex conduit available in nice handy rolls in the big box home improvement stores, preferably the bigger diameter the better.

Start running some pull string in those as well and you’ll have a really easy job.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've occasionally had the problem of pull strings cutting into the tube or tangling with existing wires. Nowadays I just use a nice electrician's steel snake to pull stuff, and lots of insulation-friendly water-based lubricant wiped on thinly with a rag as I pull the wires in. I also use a lot of good electrical tape to secure the wires to the snake to help prevent snagging. Seems to work a bit better.

If I could find my stashed bundle of dry-lubed fabric pull TAPE, it would be easier than the greasy mess I usually end up cleaning off the wiring, but, such is life...

I'm a little old-fashioned, and a computer security Wonk at my day job, so I tend to like nice, well-shielded and grounded WIRED networks. Call me paranoid if you wish, but I'm finding that paranoia pays quite well in this business...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Based on pulling wires here and there .... you likely will "discover" multiple holes that the wires pass through. If your luck is as bad as mine ... they aren't very big

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

Well what to use the old telephone wires for....

one use would be to put a intercom in the trailer.... that way you wouldn't have to yell from the front to the back.. and besides.. what other RV trailer has a doorbell as well as a intercom from the front to the back... 20 ft away...

Yep just what you need in a camping trailer ...

Just another example of how airstream is ahead of its time...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote