Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Is your phone spying on you?

This popped up on my news page this morning...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/12...CNN+-+Video%29

Weirder than these examples, a couple of weeks ago I was with my son in his car....he had his phone with him, but I did not have mine with me nor my iPad.

We were discussing my aging laptop, which no longer allows some updates, and whether I needed to buy a new one at this point in my life.

I told him I had decided that a good refurbished one would do, and a couple of days later ads for refurbished computers started showing up on my Yahoo page.

I had not googled these nor searched refurbished computers at any time, but had asked him to look for one for me in the spring.

When I mentioned to him the ads, apparently targeting me thru his phone, he thought it was a coincidence....he’s a highly skilled IT guy, but had never heard of this.

Yikes.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
BIG TIME.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yahoo also now has me confused with my son, whose picture appears next to my name, and my name but an old email account of his showing up when I try to email him.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Nothing surprises me any more.
Remember the movie "Minority Report"?
As Tom Cruise walked through store, they did a retinal scan and targeted all the billboards/ads to him.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Apple has admitted they are purposely slowing down older iPhones. I read there have been over 100 class action law suits filled.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
This thread could go on for a month and we would be only scratching the tip of an iceberg.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If we knew what we don’t know, but only suspect...

Electronics eavesdropping on owners and anyone who is nearby...Mark Zuckerberg, who keeps a piece of tape over the camera on his laptop

UFO’s

Eavesdropping capabilities and usage in this country

Maggie...trying to ignore it all
Old 12-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Apple has admitted they are purposely slowing down older iPhones. I read there have been over 100 class action law suits filled.
They are slowing them down after upgrades to prolong battery life.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There is no conspiracy to sell more i-phones (at least, not from this) Here's the straight scoop.
Apple offers free upgrades to the software when they introduce a new OS. In other words, my I-phone 5 probably came with OS-3 and now I'm up to OS-9. However, all the new features eat up the battery faster, so older phones get slowed down so the battery doesn't die twice a day.

My ancient i-phone works just as well as it did 10 years ago. I'm no power user, I just want the ability to make a call if I'm stranded. All my android phones died suddenly.
the i-phone keeps ticking.
I'd love a new phone, but I'm sure not paying $700+!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
And/or they are slowing them down to get people to buy new phones.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post

Ok sure, that must be true, I read it on the internet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I feel like the refurbished computer ads would be a coincidence, unless you log into Yahoo on his phone, since that's the phone that would have been listening to you.

I've had two incidents where I'm pretty sure my phone overheard us. Once when driving home we saw a Taco Bell with a sign for breakfast, and we joked "TACO BELL, for breakfast?!" and laughed about what a terrible idea that was. A few minutes later I looked at my phone and it asked if I'd like to review Taco Bell, but we hadn't stopped there or been any closer to it than any number of other places we'd driven past, but we had talked about it.

The other incident we were cleaning house and I realized we were out of swiffer dusters and I asked my hubby to put them on the shopping list, then we turned on Youtube (a google product) on the TV to watch something and the first ad it served us was a swiffer ad. I don't think I'd ever seen one before on there.

So yeah, I totally believe my phone is a little spy for Google (and others).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If that is true then my phone would die of boredom.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The thing is, Stefroberts, Yahoo seems to have us mixed up...blending his information with mine, like it knows we’re related.

It’s more than a little weird...I’ve cleared cookies and cache, but his picture is still appearing on my email account, where I’ve never put a picture.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
If we knew what we don’t know, but only suspect...

Electronics eavesdropping on owners and anyone who is nearby...Mark Zuckerberg, who keeps a piece of tape over the camera on his laptop
He's not the only one.......I keep a piece of electrical tape on my camera after I spotted the light that tells it has been activated was blinking; who activated it? I don't know; all I know is that the light started blinking and I hadn't turned it on......The lamp never blinks, now that I put a bit of electrical tape over the camera.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

My personal (mil-spec ruggidized) laptop has a built-in opaque slide over the camera lens. It stays shut unless I really need to use it. Phone case has an opaque corner over the lens as well. As a practicing computer security professional, unless you are taking extraordinary measures, you don’t have any real privacy. All you can do is minimize the intrusions. Keep your anti-virus software up to date, any your operating system patched. Some security is better than no security.

“Just because you are paranoid does NOT mean they are NOT out to get you”. Words to live by....

I make my living by being a “paid paranoid”, and sadly I’m getting real good at it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Phone case has an opaque corner over the lens as well.
Front AND back cameras? One reason I haven't bothered with covering my phone's or tablet's camera lenses is that while I have found acceptable sliding covers for the lens facing me, I haven't found one that fits properly on the rear lens. Tape isn't an option because I don't want sticky residue on the lens when I use it to take photos or video.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

I have an iPhone and use an Otter Box Defender case. The belt clip covers the rear camera or front camera when the phone is in the clip.

Pictures of my ugly mug have been know to cause hysterical laughter. Pictures of my surroundings are usually the ceiling or the top of my desk. The rest of the time phone is covered by my shirt.

If I’m somewhere proprietary, the phone lives in an RF shielded locker and gets powered down.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Absolutely, spying in every way it can. And it's become a perfectly acceptable way of life here.

The refurbished computer scenario maybe just coincidence but it's game on when it comes to the googlization of the nation.

Put in an app and it wants access to things it should never need in your phone. Why should a level app need access to your contacts or photo's. (Just a hypothetical example)

Email someone and next time their photo is there.

Sign onto your desktop Google and it wants to know you other g mail address.

Google something and those are the adds you see.

Look up a phone number or location and it start suggesting things.

Ghost number calling where the prefix of the phone number looks like yours but the last four are different.

Look yourself up and find the relationships it connects you to.

Go to the doctors office and they take a photo of you assuming it's ok.

In today's world there really is no such thing as privacy anymore. Funny thing is every time we've been hacked or identity theft victims or credit card fraud it's always because of a leak at some major place where they claim it'll never happen.

It's funny you mention Minority Report that was one of my favorite movies. Yes the stuff happens to lesser degrees and not quite so spy movie like.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
For those who think they are being spied upon, here is a YouTube video that may be of interest, that was just released.

https://youtu.be/Fr0wEsISRUw
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote