Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Improved Radio Reception?

Odd as it is, I (still) like AM radio. Sometimes just to get the local "flavor" of a place. Sometimes to listen to news, etc. Anyway, in my trailer the reception is quite bad. I imagine there is a cool way to add a good AM antenna to an AS - somehow - isn't there?(Wishful thinking). Anyone have any recommendations? Found anything useful?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Why not an aftermarket automotive AM/FM antenna? Should be able to find one at a place that does car audio for a living.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Any auto parts store, Amazon or Walmart should have car radio antennas. Finding an antenna is the easy part, running the wiring is the issue with Airstreams.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I think I will need something more than a simple telescoping car antenna. Yes, that is one kind of minimal solution - for sure. I am looking for something that would add some real DX capability to a good radio.

As to the wiring - - ARGH, yes. That is going to be a challenge I think. I am definitely not going to drill a hole in the roof! :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Drill the hole in the side of the trailer. See some old threads around here (and as UT94 as well).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I took the old antenna off of this one, but what I did was tie a string to its cable and then pulled it through. so now I have this string that hangs out the hole ha! But later will find an original one to replace it.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings redwoodguy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
I think I will need something more than a simple telescoping car antenna. Yes, that is one kind of minimal solution - for sure. I am looking for something that would add some real DX capability to a good radio.

As to the wiring - - ARGH, yes. That is going to be a challenge I think. I am definitely not going to drill a hole in the roof! :-)
I don't know how much it improves AM radio reception, but my '64 Overlander has what was installed by the factory on coaches with radios . . . a whip antenna. I haven't had any problem pulling in a variety of radio stations wherever I am parked. I think that you can make out the whip radio antenna installation in the photo below:

It is probably a solution that would be too obvious on a late model coach, but it worked well for the Vintage Airstreams.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Thanks Overlander---
That looks like there is a coil on that whip about half way up - is there? So far, that's all I have found. Maybe that will be just fine. I have a message out to an old ham radio friend. I'll see if he has any ideas too.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I used the original whip antenna for my new Sony car stereo. Works great. Rewire was a bit of a challenge , but that's the fun of a vintage trailer.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings redwoodguy!

Quote:
Thanks Overlander---
That looks like there is a coil on that whip about half way up - is there? So far, that's all I have found. Maybe that will be just fine. I have a message out to an old ham radio friend. I'll see if he has any ideas too.
I had to double-check as I was nearly certain that it was a standard solid whip . . . what you are seeing is a guide that keeps the whip from vibrating against the skin of the coach.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
When it comes to DXing (listening to distant stations) the AM band is highly directional. The ideal solution would be a loop antenna that could be rotated. You could also try clipping one end of a long piece of wire onto the external antenna and fastening the other end to a tree. For that matter, if the radio has an attachment for a wire antenna you could attach the longest wire you can find to it (50' or so) and run the wire out a window, to a nearby tree. Move it around to pick up different stations. Just make sure it's insulated wire so it doesn't ground out on the window frame. There are probably dozens of commercial antennas and boosters available from Ham Radio Outlet and the like, but they would all need to be outside to get good reception. Or you can just sit outside with a portable radio. By the way, the old FET (field effect transistor) radios are a lot better at picking up distant stations than modern MOS (computer chip) ones are. My personal record is picking up a station in Regina Canada from my house near Oakland CA.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Mr. Bill,
That's helpful info there. I think I will give that a try next time. I have a few portable AM radios and will try jacking in a long wire from outside. Can I assume the gauge of the wire is not crucial? I have some long spools of wire that are maybe 22ga. insulated.

I didn't know that about FETs.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
When it comes to DXing (listening to distant stations) the AM band is highly directional. The ideal solution would be a loop antenna that could be rotated. You could also try clipping one end of a long piece of wire onto the external antenna and fastening the other end to a tree. For that matter, if the radio has an attachment for a wire antenna you could attach the longest wire you can find to it (50' or so) and run the wire out a window, to a nearby tree. Move it around to pick up different stations. Just make sure it's insulated wire so it doesn't ground out on the window frame. There are probably dozens of commercial antennas and boosters available from Ham Radio Outlet and the like, but they would all need to be outside to get good reception. Or you can just sit outside with a portable radio. By the way, the old FET (field effect transistor) radios are a lot better at picking up distant stations than modern MOS (computer chip) ones are. My personal record is picking up a station in Regina Canada from my house near Oakland CA.
Okay, you made me throw out my brag: my personal best is from the early 90's, visiting my sister in Seattle and then listening in the car to KGO AM from San Francisco to get info about the giant Oakland Hills fire from "back home."

I just took a quick look at one of my vendors: Crutchfield has a variety of amplified antennas and they have good advisors: you can phone them up and discuss your needs.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Back in the 60s, I was a teenager in Denver, Colorado. On warm summer nights, we used to drive up to Lookout Mountain where you could see the city lights spread out below, watch for shooting stars, contemplate the origins of the universe, and tune in those distant rock-n-roll AM superstations that you could only pick up late at night, like KOMA in Oklahoma City!

This is where I first heard Wolfman Jack booming in from some overpowered transmitter across the border in Mexico. We were living the movie "American Graffiti" -- a much simpler, but troubled time in history...

=====================

KOMA, Oklahoma City: http://www.komaradio.com/komainfo.aspx

"Throughout the 60’s and 70’s, KOMA was the favorite of teens all across the western US. With the big 50,000-watt signal and the relatively few rock-n-roll radio stations across the plains, KOMA was the main station for the hits. KOMA (along with handful of other legendary stations including 890 WLS, Chicago; 1090 KAAY, Little Rock; 1060 WNOE, New Orleans; 770 WABC, New York; 800 CKLW, Windsor/Detroit; and 1100 WKYC, Cleveland) could be heard on car radios, in homes, and everywhere a kid could tune in. Often teens in New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and other western states would eagerly await sunset when the mighty 1520 would come booming through with the newest hits of the day. They would sit in their cars on hilltops, turn it up at parties, or fall asleep with the radio next to their beds as they listened to Chuck Berry, the Supremes, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and the Beatles. Soldiers in Viet Nam even reported tuning in KOMA to give them a little feeling of being back home.

"Led through the 60’s by Program Directors Dean Johnson, Dale Wehba, and Perry Murphy, some of the best-remembered DJ’s spun the hits each day and night. Charlie Tuna, Dale Wehba, Don McGregor, Paul Miller, John David, Chuck Dann, J. Michael Wilson, Johnny Dark, Buddy Scott, John Ravencroft, and many others were among those who played the hits from the studios in Moore, Oklahoma. And everyone remembers “Yours Truly KOMA” and the “kissing tone.” This was definitely an era where radio was fun. It was more than just the music. It was a magical blend of personality, jingles, contests, and fun mixed with the greatest music that defined the era and continues to live today.

"These were considered by many to be the best years of radio. And for baby boomers across the western US, KOMA was king."

=================

Note: I don't think KOMA broadcasts were actually received in Vietnam. Recordings of US radio station programs were rebroadcast on U.S. Armed Forces Radio.

(Sorry; didn't mean to hijack this thread.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
"Throughout the 60’s and 70’s, KOMA was the favorite of teens all across the western US. With the big 50,000-watt signal and the relatively few rock-n-roll radio stations across the plains, KOMA was the main station for the hits. KOMA (along with handful of other legendary stations including 890 WLS, Chicago; 1090 KAAY, Little Rock; 1060 WNOE, New Orleans; 770 WABC, New York; 800 CKLW, Windsor/Detroit; and 1100 WKYC, Cleveland) could be heard on car radios, in homes, and everywhere a kid could tune in. Often teens in New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and other western states would eagerly await sunset when the mighty 1520 would come booming through with the newest hits of the day. They would sit in their cars on hilltops, turn it up at parties, or fall asleep with the radio next to their beds as they listened to Chuck Berry, the Supremes, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and the Beatles. Soldiers in Viet Nam even reported tuning in KOMA to give them a little feeling of being back home.
I grew up listening to The Big 89 -- WLS in Kankakee, IL (about 60 miles South of Chicago). Much to my parents' chagrin, I had the middle button of every car radio setup to The Big 89. When we moved 300 miles South to the family farm near Carbondale, IL . . . life wasn't the same as The Big 89 could only be received after 10 PM in good weather. Trips to Chicago aren't as much fun since The Big 89 converted to an all-talk format.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Wolfman Jack on XERA, he had a CA studio but the transmitter was in Mexico so it was, I think, about 100,000 watts or more. He had a great bit in American Graffiti, and I heard some rebroadcasts in the 60's. I was in Connecticut, listening to WABC: cousin Brucie, Dan Ingraham, and of course, Murray the K and the swingin' soiree, billing himself as the fifth Beatle. Jean Shepherd was also out of NYC on WOR, doing an hour of extemperaneous [sic] story-telling. (Jean created and narrated the "Christmas Story" movie.)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Odd as it is, I (still) like AM radio. Sometimes just to get the local "flavor" of a place. Sometimes to listen to news, etc. Anyway, in my trailer the reception is quite bad. I imagine there is a cool way to add a good AM antenna to an AS - somehow - isn't there?(Wishful thinking). Anyone have any recommendations? Found anything useful?

Have you looked at AM Antennas - C. Crane Company (800) 522-8863 AM Antennas ?

I have heard their antennas are good, but haven't sprung for one. I am a big am radio fan and have found the old 5 tube radio not only gives you a sence of nostalgia but also a better sound and ability to get those distant stations.

I just use the longest piece of wire I can hang (the extra in the coil just stays wrapped up at the end) and use an alligator clip to attach it to the current antenna.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Wow! Nice trip down memory lane guys! Loved reading that. I have done a couple things. I ordered a nice high quality loop antenna that i will try inside the trailer, and i have read up on using long wire diy antenna. I will report when iget them. I bought a new radio too--- the much touted Tecsun PL660. Big fun. And yes, there still is some life on AM (and on SW).
Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
I am also looking for improved AM and FM reception in our 04 Classic. Currently we have the supplied rubber aerial that is about 12 inches long. Reception with the stock Sony radio is OK but I believe one of the new short rubber aerials used on VW cars like the Beetle and also seen on Toyota Prius vehicles may help in the boonies. These angled whip aerials, at least the VW version, have RF (Radio Frequency) amplifiers in the squat base. They can amplify the RF signals by well over 10 dB (every 3 dB is a doubling of signal) to the radio.

You can see detailed drawings and mounting information by looking up a Hirschmann Hit Auta 16V Flex aerial part number 921 768-001 on Google. Usually Hirschmann and the part number will work for Google. I plan to swap my standard aerial once the weather cools off a bit. These are made in Germany and seen on many newer cars especially ones with the aerial mounted to the roof. The whip is 38 cm long or about 15 inches so a bit longer than the stock aerial but not enough to get caught on trees.

You'll note the added wire for providing +12V for powering the RF amplifier in the base of the aerial. That circuit draws less than 50 ma of current so could be left on all the time or, you could wire the amplifier power through the "+12 V amplifier turn-on" lead in the back of the radio.

Unfortunately all I have been able to locate places that sell these aerials are in Europe but have found a few places in the UK for about 60 pounds. I checked at the VW dealer and they want almost $200 for the whip and base. I'm sure examples of these could also be found in wrecking yards for considerably less money. Just make sure it has both the coax cable for the radio but also the wire lead used to power the amplifier as shown on the Hirschmann documentation. I can imagine some models may not be amplified and have no idea what Toyota is using on their cars or who made them.

Paul/KA6NFP
tinearpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I've had some luck just making a 4- to 6-inch "flag" with foil wrapped around the straight antenna. Cheap -- easily replaced -- can be moved directionally -- and sometimes helps.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote