Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
New AM-FM aerial

Just an update on installation of the Hirschmann 921 768-001 aerial on our 2004 Classic trailer.

Finally has been cooling off enough in the mornings to finish the replacement work for the rubber roof radio aerial. On our trailer you need to remove the Fantastic fan interior trim piece. I pulled off the vinyl trim that wraps around the roof. The trim fits into a track so easy to put back when the job is done. I had to drill out three rivets that hold the aluminum rail for the trim piece that is riveted to the roof support about six inches ahead of the Fantasic fan. That allows you enough access space between the interior foam roof material and the roof aluminum.

Removing the original aerial was easy, just unscrews and the base with the coax pulled out from the radio location. I attached strings on the old coax so I could pull the new coax down from the roof. I also installed a XM ariel while I had the space open. Wiring done, the worst part was to get my hands into the space between the roof and interior so I could secure the nut from the bottom. That done it was just a matter to connect the new cable and power wire for the aerial amplifier to the antenna power wire on the back of the existing radio.

So far, I have to say a huge improvement in station pulling ability on FM. I have not tried AM yet. Looking forward to remote camping and being able to receive distant stations.

I immediately picked up two stations from the bay area (San Francisco and Angwin) both over 75 miles away that I never received on this radio. KQED 88.5 the NPR station is 95 air miles away towards the SW. I also now get KDFC Classical at 89.9 which is a non-commercial station with 800 watts 75+ miles away towards the NE. Radio Locator.com says the fringe reception stops at West Sacramento which is another 20+ miles away from my location. Our trailer is located on the NE side of our two-story house. So yes, I am impressed especially when KDFC is between two semi-local stations one located at 89.7 and the other at 90.1.

Paul
tinearpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Use an existing pass through near the refrigerator vent and mount a removable antenna there as well ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinearpaul View Post
I am also looking for improved AM and FM reception in our 04 Classic. Currently we have the supplied rubber aerial that is about 12 inches long. Reception with the stock Sony radio is OK but I believe one of the new short rubber aerials used on VW cars like the Beetle and also seen on Toyota Prius vehicles may help in the boonies. These angled whip aerials, at least the VW version, have RF (Radio Frequency) amplifiers in the squat base. They can amplify the RF signals by well over 10 dB (every 3 dB is a doubling of signal) to the radio.

Paul/KA6NFP
...I realize that I am quoting a post from years ago, but relevant to my question...

I have the same complaint. I have an '05 with the roughly 12" flexi antenna at the front, top of the Airstream. It annoys me greatly that we pull into an area to camp and listening to a great radio station in the tow vehicle and then we move into the camper and cannot get the same. We will hit scan on the Airstream radio and get maybe 3-4 channels even when the truck will get 20-30 channels.

I have taken apart the radio area enough to verify that antenna cable is still plugged in to the back of the radio, but I have not gone to efforts to verify continuity between that location and the antenna outside. I figure if the issue is that bad, I'm not going to pull new cable. I can just play music from my phone :-)

Any similar experiences? Solutions which don't require a major tear-up of anything? Replace the head unit with another car-type radio because the Airstream / Sony one sucks (we don't use the DVD playing aspect anyway)?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Improved Radio Reception?

Today's radio receivers are not as good as those from the 1970s in my experience.

For GP, an FM antenna needs to be 31". For AM, as long as one can make it.

My 1990 Silver Streak and the older models I've had all were equipped with telescoping antennas mounted at the port bow. A pair of standoff plastic mounts. This is what I'd look for in your situation.

The best receivers were the early 1970s LEAR units.

AM radio programming has been ruined by capitalism (a handful of owners nationwide versus local). FM is barely better. Thus, not much call by the sheeple to address this.

FM shows up at about 1970. Prior to this was optimization of AM reception, thus the 102" whips on coaches before that date.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Crutchfeld carries a two point mount telescoping chrome antenna marked for VW. Same as what is on my trailer.

There are also single point antennas with swivel mounts.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote