Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 187
Ham Radio technical forum for mobile installations

There is a ham radio technical site dedicated to mobile operations and installations. K0BG is the site and it is very detailed in every aspect of mobile ham radio.Really worth a look.
Regards 73 nm1oqrz
__________________

__________________
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 253
Images: 2
i think ham radio is going like the cb. i was a cber when they first came out for a few years then they faded away.they are still hot for truckers and still good to have one in car when traveling just to keep up with road work and wrecks and jams. cellphone and internet and web cams have took over.
__________________

__________________
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
i think ham radio is going like the cb. i was a cber when they first came out for a few years then they faded away.they are still hot for truckers and still good to have one in car when traveling just to keep up with road work and wrecks and jams. cellphone and internet and web cams have took over.
I was pretty much of the impression that Ham Radio as a means of emergency communications was on the way out due to Cell Phones, Internet and whatever.
There is certainly some truth to that, However a few years ago a series of Tornados in a neighboring county proved that to not be the case. Suddenly there was no internet, no power, no functioning cell phone towers, Public safety systems were down and Ham radio was an essential means of communications. I admit I was some what caught by surprise.

To me it is now primarily a social hobby, allowing me to keep in touch on a daily basis with friends all over the country and of course other Airstream Hams. I have participated in many facets of the hobby over the 55 years I have been licensed and found it to be a very valuable hobby on both a career and personal basis.

Operate from both the truck and the trailer (to stay on mobile topic)
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 TAC TN-2 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,442
Images: 1
k0bg has the best discussion of bonding (grounds) I have read. I might just be a rubber ducky, but I shore wan' it to work well.

And, as vehicles age, the importance of clean, properly-secured "bonds" (and some additions) seems to go hand-in-hand in inspections to ensure reliability of the vehicle as a whole.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Halimer
 
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 244
In Egypt now, the Ham(not Halal) operators are probably the only civilians communicating.
There is talk that our government may want to be able to pull the internet/cell phone plug in an 'Big Emergency'.
__________________
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Clueless but willing
 
mamos's Avatar
 
1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 51
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
Ham radio is certainly not on it's way out like CB did.

I think you will find that there are more radio hams now than at any time in the past. Ham radio is booming at the moment and it is at the forefront of technology
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 812
Images: 1
The number of Amateur radio licenses (ham radio) in this country (USA) are at an all time high today.
Bruce
AB1KC
__________________
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,442
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The number of Amateur radio licenses (ham radio) in this country (USA) are at an all time high today.
Bruce
AB1KC
Total number, or as a percent of the population?
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 812
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Total number, or as a percent of the population?
OK,
You asked so here is what I can find.

1971
US population is something like 208,000,000 people.
Amateur radio licenses held in December 1971 is 285,000.

2012
US Population is in the order of 315,000,000 people.
Amateur radio licenses held in Dec, 2012 is 709,500.

The percentage of the US population that holds an Amateur radio license has risen from something like 0.14% of the population in 1971 to something along the lines of 0.23% of the US population in 2012.

OK?
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar

 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,602
Images: 2
A big part of expansion is education, disposable income, and Internet sources for info in a non-judgmental atmosphere. At least that's my experience.

When I tried "ham" I found lack of ability to access info which was in highly technical jargon which was transformed into the "dark arts" by folks who Lorded over their domain of the almighty "meter".

Of course this was just a matter of "rite of passage" which was not important enough to achieve at that time in my life. The group was dying slowly because of this attitude as it was one of the few places the members had any sense of contribution.

It was an important lesson for me.

Perhaps I was the only one who had this happen.

My apologies to any HAM's who may misunderstand my direction here. The goal on sharing this is to bring awareness to how you and I engage those with shared interests. Both newbie and veteran can make or break a group.

In closing, I hope HAM grows even more and if possible one day be able to master the Art which, after all, may not be so dark, because good folks like found here shine the light...

Peace and blessings! CQCQ!
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Clueless but willing
 
mamos's Avatar
 
1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 51
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
A big part of expansion is education, disposable income, and Internet sources for info in a non-judgmental atmosphere. At least that's my experience.

When I tried "ham" I found lack of ability to access info which was in highly technical jargon which was transformed into the "dark arts" by folks who Lorded over their domain of the almighty "meter".

Of course this was just a matter of "rite of passage" which was not important enough to achieve at that time in my life. The group was dying slowly because of this attitude as it was one of the few places the members had any sense of contribution.

It was an important lesson for me.

Perhaps I was the only one who had this happen.

My apologies to any HAM's who may misunderstand my direction here. The goal on sharing this is to bring awareness to how you and I engage those with shared interests. Both newbie and veteran can make or break a group.

In closing, I hope HAM grows even more and if possible one day be able to master the Art which, after all, may not be so dark, because good folks like found here shine the light...

Peace and blessings! CQCQ!
I know what you are saying. I think the internet is helping by allowing newcomers to the hobby to find information quickly. It is also a lot easier to get a licence than it has ever been especially here in the UK. It is now possible to get a foundation licence in a weekend.
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar

 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,602
Images: 2
I know this is not a HAM forum, but, are there local HAMs in the Central Texas area willing and able to teach a newsance.. er, newbie?
__________________
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Clueless but willing
 
mamos's Avatar
 
1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 51
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
The best thing would be to find a local club and go along for a chat.
__________________

mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ham radio


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amateur Radio (Ham) Exams nm1oqrz Phone, CB & Ham Radio 4 11-30-2013 12:45 PM
Clipper, Land Yacht, Radio TV Speakers masseyfarm Audio, Video & TV 2 06-23-2013 10:49 PM
Radio antenna needed? SilverHoot Audio, Video & TV 25 01-19-2011 11:01 AM
The best forum ever Brianv512 Our Community 9 01-06-2011 06:42 PM





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.
Modal Click