Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Ham Radio technical forum for mobile installations

There is a ham radio technical site dedicated to mobile operations and installations. K0BG is the site and it is very detailed in every aspect of mobile ham radio.Really worth a look.
Regards 73 nm1oqrz

Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
i think ham radio is going like the cb. i was a cber when they first came out for a few years then they faded away.they are still hot for truckers and still good to have one in car when traveling just to keep up with road work and wrecks and jams. cellphone and internet and web cams have took over.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
i think ham radio is going like the cb. i was a cber when they first came out for a few years then they faded away.they are still hot for truckers and still good to have one in car when traveling just to keep up with road work and wrecks and jams. cellphone and internet and web cams have took over.
I was pretty much of the impression that Ham Radio as a means of emergency communications was on the way out due to Cell Phones, Internet and whatever.
There is certainly some truth to that, However a few years ago a series of Tornados in a neighboring county proved that to not be the case. Suddenly there was no internet, no power, no functioning cell phone towers, Public safety systems were down and Ham radio was an essential means of communications. I admit I was some what caught by surprise.

To me it is now primarily a social hobby, allowing me to keep in touch on a daily basis with friends all over the country and of course other Airstream Hams. I have participated in many facets of the hobby over the 55 years I have been licensed and found it to be a very valuable hobby on both a career and personal basis.

Operate from both the truck and the trailer (to stay on mobile topic)
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
k0bg has the best discussion of bonding (grounds) I have read. I might just be a rubber ducky, but I shore wan' it to work well.

And, as vehicles age, the importance of clean, properly-secured "bonds" (and some additions) seems to go hand-in-hand in inspections to ensure reliability of the vehicle as a whole.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
In Egypt now, the Ham(not Halal) operators are probably the only civilians communicating.
There is talk that our government may want to be able to pull the internet/cell phone plug in an 'Big Emergency'.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
Ham radio is certainly not on it's way out like CB did.

I think you will find that there are more radio hams now than at any time in the past. Ham radio is booming at the moment and it is at the forefront of technology
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The number of Amateur radio licenses (ham radio) in this country (USA) are at an all time high today.
Bruce
AB1KC
Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The number of Amateur radio licenses (ham radio) in this country (USA) are at an all time high today.
Bruce
AB1KC
Total number, or as a percent of the population?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Total number, or as a percent of the population?
OK,
You asked so here is what I can find.

US population is something like 208,000,000 people.
Amateur radio licenses held in December 1971 is 285,000.

US Population is in the order of 315,000,000 people.
Amateur radio licenses held in Dec, 2012 is 709,500.

The percentage of the US population that holds an Amateur radio license has risen from something like 0.14% of the population in 1971 to something along the lines of 0.23% of the US population in 2012.

OK?
Bruce
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
A big part of expansion is education, disposable income, and Internet sources for info in a non-judgmental atmosphere. At least that's my experience.

When I tried "ham" I found lack of ability to access info which was in highly technical jargon which was transformed into the "dark arts" by folks who Lorded over their domain of the almighty "meter".

Of course this was just a matter of "rite of passage" which was not important enough to achieve at that time in my life. The group was dying slowly because of this attitude as it was one of the few places the members had any sense of contribution.

It was an important lesson for me.

Perhaps I was the only one who had this happen.

My apologies to any HAM's who may misunderstand my direction here. The goal on sharing this is to bring awareness to how you and I engage those with shared interests. Both newbie and veteran can make or break a group.

In closing, I hope HAM grows even more and if possible one day be able to master the Art which, after all, may not be so dark, because good folks like found here shine the light...

Peace and blessings! CQCQ!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
A big part of expansion is education, disposable income, and Internet sources for info in a non-judgmental atmosphere. At least that's my experience.

When I tried "ham" I found lack of ability to access info which was in highly technical jargon which was transformed into the "dark arts" by folks who Lorded over their domain of the almighty "meter".

Of course this was just a matter of "rite of passage" which was not important enough to achieve at that time in my life. The group was dying slowly because of this attitude as it was one of the few places the members had any sense of contribution.

It was an important lesson for me.

Perhaps I was the only one who had this happen.

My apologies to any HAM's who may misunderstand my direction here. The goal on sharing this is to bring awareness to how you and I engage those with shared interests. Both newbie and veteran can make or break a group.

In closing, I hope HAM grows even more and if possible one day be able to master the Art which, after all, may not be so dark, because good folks like found here shine the light...

Peace and blessings! CQCQ!
I know what you are saying. I think the internet is helping by allowing newcomers to the hobby to find information quickly. It is also a lot easier to get a licence than it has ever been especially here in the UK. It is now possible to get a foundation licence in a weekend.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
I know this is not a HAM forum, but, are there local HAMs in the Central Texas area willing and able to teach a newsance.. er, newbie?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
The best thing would be to find a local club and go along for a chat.

Tags
ham radio