Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #421
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
I may go KK6CZA went last year it was nice.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #422
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
N1jbg here
DougHart352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #423
Phodeaux

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Greenville , South Carolina
Same boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Well, not a ham but I am a retired EE (Aerospace)

Can someone point me to a good thread here for the basics of getting started, what equipment / radio I might need, how small an antenna I can get away with...thanks!

Rich
I was in a similar boat a few years back. I too am a retired EE but was active in ham radio back in the dark ages (early 60's) in a high school station.
Flash forward a few decades and I retires, spending more time in the AS club. Several members are hams so I wanted to see what I remembered. I looked around and found some online sample test sites and wanted to see what I didn't know. I took several Technician tests and passed them all!
I then tried General and barely passed so I studied, again online. Later I took and passed both tests.
I got cocky and took a few Extra tests and failed pretty solidly. Went on HamTestOnline and studied for Extra, passing it two months later.
Now I am trying to figure out what I want/need for a home station. In the meantime, I bought a house in South Carolina and will soon be moving. Way too many decisions for now!

Gary
AB6GP
Old 12-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #424
de NO1PC

2004 30' Classic
1988 29' Excella
Campbell , California
Rich,

Can you be a little more specific about the ask?

What band(s) do you want to operate - VHF/UHF? HF?

Under what conditions - Mobile? In or outside the RV?

I've photo-documented my tow vehicle and trailer installations in the photo album on my web-site - www.no1pc.org, and also have a FB group: Amateur Radio Elmers (hoping someday the WBCCI ham club will have a FB group as well.)
JimAspinwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #425
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
KA4FOX. Ham since 1969. Started out with a novice license and 3 crystals.

So far, I just use a super cheap handheld dual band when camping with the Airstream.

BTW, anyone care to recommend a 2m and a 20m whip antenna for marine use?
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #426
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
MFJ makes "ham sticks" for 20M. Have several friends who use them on a mag mount on top of their cars with good results (sometimes).. On a boat I'd guess you would need a counterpoise of some type. If it is is a sail boat with a mast look at LNR's ended antenna's. I have a 20M/40 version and it is great for quick set up when working portable ( Elecraft K2). I tried an 80m hamstick using the shell of my Airstream as a counterpoise but was not impressed.
If you are working repeaters with the 2m, any base loaded antenna should be fine and better than the "rubber duck" stock antenna.
If you are cheap, like I am, I made a 2M j-pole using a piece of old 300ohm twin lead TV wire. Easy to find plans on the web for making one. It rolls up into a small sack. Just keep the feed line as short as possible. I hang it in a tree or a balcony when camping or traveling and it works great.

KF5IMA
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #427
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
"The WBCCI Amateur Radio Club expecting to see quite a bit of interest in Ham Radio in Airstreams, but todate the activity if Zero."

If my experience at the Boise '98 international rally is any indicator, the activity will remain low They didn't want anyone unknown checking into their 2m traffic net. (that rally really showed me why WBCCI is having membership and rally attendance problems in general, too)

Can you imagine a ham giving the cold shoulder to someone asking about his antenna? Happened there, too.

--
K1CD/7
Well the 40 mtr RV net has taken over for the wally bombers.... it used to be strictly for AS elete people... but most had snobish problems... and so went with the GOOD SAM group instead...

If you go to quartsfest... in AZ... they have both 2 and other bands that they use to keep you up to date with whats happening that day... only problem is its at 07 dark 30... and so with one eye open.. and the smell of coffee brewing... you try to listen... which is fun...

Ya the AS group seems to have dwindled... as the oldies who were productive passed along... of course ham radio is not what IT used to be either... these days...

Yet... we have better...more compact equipment... that is more effecent...that no one uses... go figure..

Ham radio and the others are what you make of them... not what others appear to be...

The adventure cont... 73's G.M> WA6CDE
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #428
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i am VE3 HIU, 40 years NOW SINCE I GOT MY LICENSE

yes , the good old days are gone, no seems too build anything anymore (;
my first rig was from an old ham. he gave be an WWII army tube based RCVT and XMTR that covered 40m and 80m along with a supper robust tubed based 30hz power supply he made when he was young. Back when he made it, NA was on 30hz , not like 60hz today.

i picked up a pair of these off amazon

BAOFENG uv-5r
FM RO and full 2m and 440Mhz coverage, full repeater support , plus cross bad split mode. call tone, single tone, and dtmf support

i ll look for a 2m/44mhz ant in 2018 when i take my as22Fb out of winter storage
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #429
de NO1PC

2004 30' Classic
1988 29' Excella
Campbell , California
Laments, nets, etc.

Observations and What-to-do, if anything...

FWIW - the number of amateur radio licenses has increased significantly in the past 5, maybe 10 years. I suspect that is because of "ham crams", CERT, and the 'Maker' community. (I'm guessing any prior lull, and general lack of awareness are due to 'devices', the 'consumerization' of technology, and sharp decrease in "shop class" and tech/trade schools prior.)

It's just taking awhile to 'recover' from this lull as more realize cell service can be iffy, expensive, not multi-point or point-to-multi-point (unless you look at what the "Cajun Navy" did with Zello recently.)

That a rally-net limited its focus to rally activities seems fine - on any given weekend there are probably 100 "special event" bike races, runs, walks, parades, etc. that are no more or less 'conducive' to non-event-specific traffic.

As long as 'CB' remains the only universally available non-licensed radio service that also allows external antennas, 4W, etc. and its the long-standing 'supported' means of comms for rallies, caravans, etc. - that's going to be 'it' for most 'campers'. Would that changes in GMRS/FRS opened things up a bit for a more or less convenient cleaner "UHF-CB" - but there are significant reasons in the GMRS community to not allow that spectrum to go "free range".

One plausible alternative would be to use the VHF MURS allocation - simple talkies, some mobile/external antenna provision. A rally activity with a lot of participants/logistics could do well with a stockpile of dedicated radios, issued for and recalled after the event - no CB/channel/license confusion, etc.

The RV services net is a tremendous resource, could be more - logging tracking long-trippers (like the maritime net), operating all 7 days, etc. Just needs folks who want to step up to net control rotation, etc. No reason we couldn't offshoot from there - it's not like we're locked to one frequency, couldn't shift bands with conditions, etc.

I think there is some traction overall for RV and other travelers to re-visit plain-old 146.52... just get on and make a 'monitoring' beacon call-out every 10 or 30 minutes and see who you run across. Did this on a two week trip to-from Tetons/Yellowstone and ran across a few folks in similar situations. Can't make contacts unless at least two people know they are on the air!

Since the WBCCI pres is also a ham, I may approach him again about a WBCCI Facebook page for ham radio - that suggestion seemed to die at the WBCCI ham club level. Visibility, effectiveness...

73!!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #430
Phodeaux

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Greenville , South Carolina
Ab6gp

I first got into ham radio in the fifties, (high school radio club) and returned recently. Took a few tests and the rest is history! I hauled my 25FB from California to South Carolina and am about to set up a station. I am considering the FT-991A for home and on the road use.

We are remodeling our new home now so not sure when it will happen, but it IS in the plan.

Lots of good information here so it should be much easier than doing it in the dark. Looking forward to the next adventure!

Gary Prideaux
AB6GP
Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #431
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
What's a pocket internet? I searched for it and all I found were devices that receive and play internet radio stations.

Ken
My silly term for a smart phone with an unlimited data plan (grandfathered AT&T) that gets me to the entire internet from my pocket...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #432
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAspinwall View Post
Observations and What-to-do, if anything...
Since the WBCCI pres is also a ham, I may approach him again about a WBCCI Facebook page for ham radio - that suggestion seemed to die at the WBCCI ham club level. Visibility, effectiveness...73!!
Hi Jim NO1PC,
If the WBCCI Amateur Radio Club wants a FB page they can accomplish it. Some of their officers are watching this thread, have spoken up on other points. I'm glad to mention it to to their officers. I don't see any barrier and agree with you on benefits to members and the ARC. Thanks for bringing it up.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #433
de NO1PC

2004 30' Classic
1988 29' Excella
Campbell , California
Hi Gary. A close ham friend is AB6PG... "police guy" I call him... for appropriate reason.

The rig is less important than a good implementation. Hope to hear you on the 'RV' net or other down the road sometime!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #434
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodeaux View Post
I first got into ham radio in the fifties, (high school radio club) and returned recently. Took a few tests and the rest is history! I hauled my 25FB from California to South Carolina and am about to set up a station. I am considering the FT-991A for home and on the road use.

We are remodeling our new home now so not sure when it will happen, but it IS in the plan.

Lots of good information here so it should be much easier than doing it in the dark. Looking forward to the next adventure!

Gary Prideaux
AB6GP
Gary... I saw a neat way to do the ham radio.. without cutting into the AS... they made a mobile shelf... that the radios mount to and all the wiring then goes to the shelf.. its made out of quality wood... with the old two level approch... so that the radios go up on the top.. and under them can be a lot of things like key, mic etc...
Also... I would not use the trailers 12 volt supply.. too noisy... and not regulated enough... ya I know it comes off the bats.. but.. then so does the heater motor, fans etc... and they all have their associated noise
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 PM   #435
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
Hi Jim NO1PC,
If the WBCCI Amateur Radio Club wants a FB page they can accomplish it. Some of their officers are watching this thread, have spoken up on other points. I'm glad to mention it to to their officers. I don't see any barrier and agree with you on benefits to members and the ARC. Thanks for bringing it up.
NOPE.. NOPE & NOPE No more facebook... too many hackers... put it on a web page... I gave up on facebook... the people over their don't understand that ident'y theft is a real issue... I got emails from myself... that I didn't write... go figure..
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #436
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I would much rather see them take out a section of the RV service net...page.. and their put the WBCCI radio information.. after all the service net covers good sam and others all at the same time... so it popular...
G.M> WA6CDE.. and yep been at it now for almost 60 years.. wow.. where did the time go...it has served well... and still going
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #437
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Won’t even consider joining or utilizing Face Book. It’s a security disaster, and I make my living doing computer security.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #438
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bump
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #439
de NO1PC

2004 30' Classic
1988 29' Excella
Campbell , California
Hackers?

HOW exactly are 'hackers' involved in this?

What evidence and how has identity been stolen there?

A (sad?) reality is that Facebook has accomplished and facilitated much easier and familiar access and sharing between family and friends than many otherwise 'private' or inconsistent forums.

There is NO evidence of 'hacking' of either personal information (because none of us gives up maiden name, SS#, credit cards, addresses, etc.) to post campsite or HF station pics, etc.

Sadly multiple different media and discussion thread forums have been intimidating to users for years. Granted FB groups and threads are not easily searchable, etc. - but most forums and Q&A are but for the moment.

WBCCI and Airstream and others have embraced and garnered a lot of participation because it is in the same FB context as family and friends and other affinity in one log-on experience.

Otherwise, why disallow sharing and deprive another large population of the benefits of communication?

yeah - it's a commercial revenue stream... and AirForums is unique in amazing participation? Just sayin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
NOPE.. NOPE & NOPE No more facebook... too many hackers... put it on a web page... I gave up on facebook... the people over their don't understand that ident'y theft is a real issue... I got emails from myself... that I didn't write... go figure..
Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #440
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Hmmmm been around long... FACEBOOK .. provides information that you give them... and now they want you to give them your address and personal data... ever wonder why ? ... and... they are getting around to you proving who you are...

They got nailed by feds even... yet your saying that they arn't hacked... wow...hard to believe...

That is why the air forum is more popular than the others... one would think that A/S would go back to having their own web page and message board... I know that several of the others like longlong honeymoon... have taken to the utube for info on their RV'n... but A/S doesn't seem to want to sponsor anyone anymore... its like they know they have and want it.. but if it cost or has to get involved ... nada... your on your own... so it seems..