Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I'm not a ham operator, so here is a rookie question or two.

How often if ever do ham operators get involved in assisting with comm during disasters? Ham was mentioned in a recent class as a possible resource for us in the fire service if our communications was severed for whatever reason.

If this occurs, how difficult is it?
Logistically - how would you provide this service?
Is it on a voluntary basis?

Thanks for your input,
Dave
There are several organizations that use amateur radio volunteers for emergency communications: Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES); Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES), Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) and the Red Cross. There is some cross over in the type of communications assistance between the organizartions but each has its own focus. Red Cross may request support from RACES and ARES units in lieu of having their own radio volunteers. In the event of a widespread disaster such as the Sept 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Buildings and the large hurricanes public agencies will welcome on the spot volunteers because of the large number needed and the length of time they must serve but in the case where the disasters can be managed by an agencies own staff and volunteers they usually won't request outside volunteers.

RACES is typically managed by a city or county emergency service, fire police or department and is only activated but the manageing department although the RACES volunteers can initiate emergency communication Nets in the case of a disaster. ARES is an independent organization of amateur radio operator volunteers that typically has a memorandum of understanding with local public agencies to provide communications assistance. ARES may also sellf activate to establish its emergency communiications Net and assistance to the public at large. Satern and the Red cross typically use amateur radio operators to support the emergency assistance and recovery support to affected areas and victums. Red cross may also call on RACES and ARES officials to provide communicaiotns support in-lieu of having their own volunteers.

I have been a member of the Riverside County RACES in Riverside, CA for about 5 years. We typically have four or more training drills per year including public sevice events. They may involve natural disasters , public unrest, man made disaster, walk-a-thons, marathons, bicycle races, car rallys, off-road races, etc. During that time I have only participated in two actual emergencies, fires in the Los Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests about four years ago and the more recent Esparanza Fire where five firemen lost their lives. For the Los Angeles and San Bernadion fires amaters provided assistance in areas where other communicaitons were not effective, communications for Red Cross & Salvation Army between their emergency shelters and emergency operation centers. In the Esperanza Fire we provide communications to Red Cross emergency shelters and their field evaluation teams helping with assistance and recovery for the victims.

The amateur radio role is to provide communications between different agencies, public utilities (water and power), school districts, park districts, emergency service agenices, hospitals, ambulance services, transit agencies, etc. by placing amateur radio operators at the respective emergency centers. This is done when agencies can't directly communicate with each other because of different radio systems and frequencies, poor radio coverage in the disaster area, overloaded wire and cell phone systems, loss of power, damaged radio repeaters and other loss of conventional commiunications.

It can be difficult if we have jobs or family commmitments or if we are affected by the disaster. We do provide our own equipment at no cost to the agencies we serve or the public (tax payer). I have personal radio equipment, antennas, generators, deep cycle batteris, 4X4 vehicles, my Airstream and mantain club radio equipmet, antennas and generators for such emergencies. We would drive to the are we support in our personal vehicles or be transported by agency vehicles. Our RACES unit has to complete training available free on the FEMA web site and will have to have background checks some time this year.

the following web sites will give you a perspective on each service:

RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service)
Riverside County RACES
Welcome to Amateur Radio Disaster Services - ARDS
SATERN
American Red Cross - Preparing Communities for an Emergency and Keeping People Safe - Preparedness

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #102
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Still Looking for a response from "The Front Office"

It is gratifiying to see new and interesting posts by Hams and Wanabee Hams to the Forums. This confirms what I have believed since my first posts regarding HAMs having a "Forum" . We have forums for everything from Motorhomes" "To Off Topic" It seems quite basic to me that we ought to have a Forum entitled "Airstream Hams" where any Ham, or any Forums member could go there to see what Amateur Radio in Airsteams might be all about, chat with other members about HAM problems in Airsteams and what all!
To that end, I addressed a post to the "Adminstrator" and received a reply that "they" would get back to me"
I would again present my suggestion - here - openly in the forum, and again request an advice from the Administrator (S) as to" Airsrtream Ham Forum" I am very willing to hear pros and cons
It remains however, that there is indeed an active interest in the subject as evidenced by the random posts regarding Ham Radio

A
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
GRAY COURT , South Carolina
Disaster Communications.

Excuse The Caps.

Depends On What Communications You Are Involved With. I Have Been Working Disasters Since 1955.
Amateur Radio, Mars (military Affiliate Radio System, Shares (dhs/ncs) For Years. Typhoon Marie 1955 Was Net Control Of Far East Typhoon Emerency Net For 72 Hours Without A Break Coordinating Communications For Western Pacific, Passing Weather Reports. (close To 100 Mil Aircraft Badly Damaged Or Distroyed). Huricane Camille 1969 Was Major Relay For Biloxi Area Comm As Local Stations Were Being Jambed And had To Pass Comm Over Emergency Landline Out Of Affected Area For Further Relay Via My Station In Kc, Mo.

The Last Biggy Was Huricane Katrina. I Don't Have To Define That One. My Station Was Coordinator For All Southeast Usa Shares Comm (combined Amateur,mars, And Other Federal Failities.) 2 Shifts Per Day, Yes, All Volunteer. Just The Highlights Since 1951 For Me

Spence
K4KEP-SPENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Spence, I am not familiar with and couldn't find a definition for the acronym Shares on the web. Can you enlighten us?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
And at least one more, SKYWARN! Most predomiently used in Tornado Alley, but is a national program where hams work with local National Weather Service offices to spot extreamely bad weather, like high wind, large hail, or tornados.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #106
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
cumberland co. emerg. com. group these guys don't seem to think of themselves as streamers but have a serious setup in their a/s ccecg.org I own an r v service and have been an a/s fan since 1975 my 1rst a/s and regularly provide service on same and was impressed with their conversion check out their web site
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Motoman and others,
Thanks for the work you do in emergency services. Your services are way under-appreciated.
Also, thanks for the explanations of your roles in the event of a disaster, and for the links for more information. I appreciate the responses, and hope to incorperate the information in our response plans at the local level.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #108
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Shares

NCS | SHared RESources (SHARES) High Frequency Radio Programs
GENERALY YOU NEED TO BE IN MARS FIRST THEN APPLY FOR SHARES AFTER BEING ON A WAITING LIST.

I HAVE ALSO BEEN IN SKYWARN SINCE 1970 AND SKYWARN COORDINATOR FOR OVER 25 YEARS.

SKYWARN WEB PAGE = K4KEP>

SPENCE
Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
KI4OKH learning code (23 letters so far) and can't wait for General Class ticket in ten days!

Jim
Charlotte, NC

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Ham Radio

Hello, I am WB3ATF from Harrisburg, PA. Using a TS-2000 from the interior of my 2006 22-0 CCD.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Alex
I am N6QYV and just bought a 2007 28' Safari. How are you running your coax into your AS? I, also, have TS 2000 and plan to run it in the AS with the matching power supply.
Thanks
"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #112
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEP-SPENCE
DR JOE ASK ME TO POST THIS.

THE AES RADIO (MILWAUKEE) BIGFOOT ANTENNA BASE
YOU PUT IT DOWN ON THE GROUND AND PARK WITH YOUR TIRE SITTING ON IT. STICK THE MAST IN IT AND ZIP YOUR ANTENNA IS UP.

2ND CELL TOWER ANTENNA CLAMPS ON EBAY LIKE PICS. CLAMP ON JACKSTAND ABOVE FRAME AND THEN CLAMP IN YOUR MAST. CAPACITY 1/2" TO ABOUT 6" PIPE.

SPENCE

UPLOAD DID NOT WORK
1010506.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1024 x 1024. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1280 x 960.
P1010507.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1024 x 1024. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1280 x 960.
GO TO MY WEB SITE FOR THESE TWO PICTURES

http://www.backroads.net/~K4KEP/HIDDEN/P1010506.JPG
http://www.backroads.net/~K4KEP/HIDDEN/P1010507.JPG

HOPE THESE WILL HELP. THEY ARE SOMTIMES USED BY CELL TOWER CONSTRUCTION AND BY OTHER SHORTWAVE VHF UHV INSTALLATIONS. WATCH EBAY. QUITE EXPENSIVE IF BOUGHT NEW.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
What a surprise to see this thread. About a week ago I met a Ham and asked a question about antennas. The CB antenna had broken off the Jeep and I hadn't replaced it yet. During the conversation I expressed disappointment in the language on CB channels and the poor signal quality. Well that was all the opening needed, he suggested 2 meter, and offered to Elmer. Short version, I am studying for the technician license and looking for a starter radio. Life is interesting.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #114
Rivet Master

technician update

Passed the technician test today. Bought a 2 meter 440 dual band last week. Enjoying the listening while waiting for the call sign. Scored a tower for free last week also.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Thumbs up

Welcome to Amateur Radio....

BCNU farther down the log,
Dave WV8P
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Thanks Dave for the welcome. The FCC is fast, I received my call sign yesterday.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
Scored a tower for free last week also.
While I'm not, I grew up acquainted with the community. Last fall we took down my father's (W9FPS) 40 foot, crank-up, fold over tower.
It's sitting in the back of the garden and the "Old Man" is looking to provide it with a good home.
If you're in the Chicago megalopolis, and looking for a good tower, PM me and I'll get the details out to you.

73's Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
On my "new" 58 Flying Cloud there are REALLY old decals in the back window: "KPA2355". Are these call letters? If so, do we know who they are/were assigned to?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
That call sign sounds like C.B. Radio call letters not ham Just my opinion..
my call letters for the C.B. was KBSR 2676 from the good old 70's...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
If it's a CB, is there any searchable registry on file to see if I can't find the owner's name?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote