Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Not yet, but plan to take element 2 & 3 next time the Dayton ARA tests (early February). Was a USAF 30471 Nav-Aids technician 30 years ago and could pass element 4 if I could only remember what I knew back then.

The FT-897D with a KJ7U 160-6m screwdriver and 2m/70cm dual-bander looks like a nice Airstream setup.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bryant , Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to bojeepers Send a message via Yahoo to bojeepers
N5NJZ....Bobby in Arkansas....73's to all.....

Bobby

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT Big Horn Editon,Crew Cab.6.7 CTD,6spd. auto. 4X4, Austin Tan Pearl

Location, Arkansas
bojeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:17 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Antenna Mounting

Gus - KR4K
Mary - K5MCL

Am looking for a good way to mount two antennas to our classic. Want to get the VHF/UHF Ringo Ranger up off the roof a bit. Also am looking for a place to mount an HF whip with the tuner just inside.

Any lessons learned on the mounting points, bringing the coax into the body, and running the coax to the front credenza?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:08 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Gus - KR4K
Mary - K5MCL

Am looking for a good way to mount two antennas to our classic. Want to get the VHF/UHF Ringo Ranger up off the roof a bit. Also am looking for a place to mount an HF whip with the tuner just inside.

Any lessons learned on the mounting points, bringing the coax into the body, and running the coax to the front credenza?

73/gus
I think while in camp the best solutions for VHF/UHF anf HF are the following portable antennas:

Arrow Dual Band J-Pole - such as this (I own 2 and they're great!):

Arrow Antenna J-Poles

reviews here: Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Product Reviews

For HF if you don't have the space or means to string a dipole, then a portable screwdriver with some portable ground radials is the next best thing. Alot of people I know also happen to love the Buddipole for portable ops which is another solution yet, but a little more costly.

Most ham antennas I wouldn't want to mount to my AS. I'd rather set-up a quick and easy antenna in camp that stores easy. I have seen some clean installations of motorized screwdrivers off of the bumper assemblies, but that's a personal choice. Again, I'd rather just set-up up an antenna in camp that takes no longer than 5 minutes to do. YMMV.

NC2F
Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Thanks Dennis.

Have been a bit worried about having any antenna that can be easily reached by someone walking around. Don;t want any accidental RF burns.

How do you bring coax cables into the trailer?

73/gus kr4k
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Thanks Dennis.

Have been a bit worried about having any antenna that can be easily reached by someone walking around. Don;t want any accidental RF burns.

How do you bring coax cables into the trailer?

73/gus kr4k
Hi again Gus,

I usally operate while sitting outside (enjoying the fresh air) and have no need to run the feedline anywhere inside. I also can see my antennas which prevents anyone accidently getting an RF burn by touching it while I am operating.

Though if you wanted a solution for having coax inside the AS, I would first determine where inside you would be operating from (i.e dinette, couch in front, or desk if equipped in rear), then choose if you want a temporary solution (i.e. window/door) or a more permanent solution such as having a coax connector such as a SO239, BNC or N-type on both the outside and interior wall and do your connection that way (similar to how the factory runs the Television connectors).

In most cases, you should be able to find a solution that fits your radio operating the best. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) just as a precuation, keep your antennas from being set-up near your propane tanks. I have seen some people mount CB antennas on their flag mounts next to the tanks which should be avoided whenever possible. Enjoy being on-air in camp no matter which solution you choose!

NC2F
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #67
red
red_wheeler

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Sovereign
1990 34' Excella
Vidalia , Georgia
Red - k4hvk in GA here. I've been a ham since 1956.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #68
Ernie & Madaline #3570

2010 30' Classic
Westford , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to bauere
New member of WBCCI Ham Radio Club

Ernie - N1AEW and Madaline N1JRG

We recently joined the WBCCI Ham Radio club and over the holidays I had some time to check into the 14.3075 net that meets at noon time EST. The sigs were good and Edna welcomed me to the net. Coverage was great. I have also done some listening on 7230 Khz. with lots of AS folks checking into nets and just hanging out up and down the east coast.

I am now thinking of moving my FT100 from the tow vehicle to the trailer so I can do more haming when we are parked.

Need to figure out the antenna mounts on the trailer.

73's Ernie - N1AEW
bauere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauere
Ernie - N1AEW and Madaline N1JRG

We recently joined the WBCCI Ham Radio club and over the holidays I had some time to check into the 14.3075 net that meets at noon time EST. The sigs were good and Edna welcomed me to the net. Coverage was great. I have also done some listening on 7230 Khz. with lots of AS folks checking into nets and just hanging out up and down the east coast.

I am now thinking of moving my FT100 from the tow vehicle to the trailer so I can do more haming when we are parked.

Need to figure out the antenna mounts on the trailer.

73's Ernie - N1AEW
Too cool Ernie! If/when you attend a 2007 NEU rally I'd love to have you "show me the ropes". I'm thinking becoming a HAM is right up my alley.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
I am a Ham - my callsign is KD8VD. I became a member of ARC
The WBCCI Amateur Radio Club expecting to see quite a bit of interest in Ham Radio in Airstreams, but todate the activity if Zero.
I probably will not renew my membership unless there is some activity in the club.
Winner, I fowarded this link to John O. in Dacusville...Ham nut...and I recently sold him a 1975 sovereign.

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

KE4GBS from Clayton, NC. Licensed since 93.... soon to be upgraded (thank goodness for the new code ruling!)
VSP Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
Ham

It's great to find other HAM's who share the Alum. Fever, my call sign is KI4QCU and I reside in Easley, SC
Member #9091

The difference between genious and stupidity is that genious has it's limits: Einstien
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #73
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Okay,
how many A/S owner do we have out there who are Ham Radio operators?
K4NEH
Wish I knew a way to find out. We are a very active Ham, was when we were an active Airstreamer, and am active on VHF, 2 Meter, etc. Perhaps we can encourage the managers of the Forum to set up an Index to Ham Operaters that are members of the Forum
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Natalia , Texas
Thumbs up

Hi N5CCQ here, located in S.E. Medina County, Texas. My Airstream (1964) has been gutted and awaiting a re-model. You say you want to mount a antenna on your Airstream ! If you are a ARRL member go to http://www.arrl.org/tis/Mobile-H.html and look at a full size Hustler 4BTV mounted on a Airstream on a fold over mast. The article is from QST Oct 1980 pages 38-40 looks FB to me.

Bill, N5CCQ
wohtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Here's how a guy over on Toyota Motorhomes forum (yes, I have a thing for Toyota MHs too) installed a mobile with remote head....

Getting my license - Toyota Motorhome Forums
VSP Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #76
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
laugh it up

Here's my set up, I entered it in the Jan photo contest also. thought it might better be viewed here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella 107.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	30691  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #77
red
red_wheeler

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Sovereign
1990 34' Excella
Vidalia , Georgia
I checked out the arrl web site as you suggested there in your post wohtex. The address is ARRLWeb: The HF Mobile Antenna
You left out part of the address, but I found it anyway... That's pretty awsome the way that antenna was mounted on his airstream... I may have to try something like that...
Thanks - 73's
Red - k4hvk
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #78
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
HAM Group Listing

I am encouraged by the recent posts to my query about findinw who (and where) all of our HAM Airstreamers are located, and agfain would suggest that our Forums Coordinators consider setting up such a group .
An Ideal place for such a group to convene is our newly established Chat Room. It appears to be rarely utilized by any organized group. The establishment of a fixed time and day of the week for convening Hams therein would get the job done very easily and at NO added managerial burden to the staff
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Location of Airsteam hams

Perhaps Airstream Forums is not the best place to accomplish what you are suggesting. The Administrator would have to modify the membership database to provide an entry field for your ham info then every member would have to go into their profile and add their ham info.

I think 2 other applications could accomplish what you want.
Echolink is a great place to have group chats on one of their under utilized conference servers.

Frappr maps is a great place to enter your own location push pin. See
Visitor Map, MySpace Map, Frappr Map - The most social maps on the Web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
I am encouraged by the recent posts to my query about findinw who (and where) all of our HAM Airstreamers are located, and agfain would suggest that our Forums Coordinators consider setting up such a group .
An Ideal place for such a group to convene is our newly established Chat Room. It appears to be rarely utilized by any organized group. The establishment of a fixed time and day of the week for convening Hams therein would get the job done very easily and at NO added managerial burden to the staff
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Bigjohn, I also live in Easley. It would be nice to see your set-up. If you are interested let me know. Member #1643 here.