Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
You can practice the exam at http://www.qrz.com/testing.html.

Just keep going over it until your comfortable with the answers.

Then you can check out www.arrl.com and find a local club that will usually offer the test for around $5 and help you fill out the forms.

You can get started with out knowing morse code.

Good luck!

Thank you for the info.. I will look into everything. I own an antique shop and would love to find old equipment, but need to get some basic knowledge, first.

Do you have to learn Morse Code to get a license? It seems the older I get the less my brain wants to hold!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Nashville , Tennessee
WW7N, Nashville, TN

Old 03-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
73's

N9NYA, Excella 500, Wisconsin.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
VE3CZN/VE3RAE
in Key West Florida
Old 03-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Reading this post brought back some memories. I'm not a ham but my father is. I vividly remember camping trips in the '60s with a Heathkit 20 Meter SSB rig mounted under the dash, and the whine of the inverter late at night while we kids were supposed to be sleeping in the trailer. You knew when he was working a far-away station when he would start the car to get enough juice out the inverter to get the finals up the full 100 watts.
73's, Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Antenna mounting on an Airstream Trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Okay,
how many A/S owner do we have out there who are Ham Radio operators?
K4NEH
I am KE5CKG in the Land of Enchantment. I am usually on 2 meters or Echolink. My node is 203290.

Now the question, how to mount the antenna on the trailer?

The standard 5/8 wave mag mount 2 meter antenna used on the steel roof of a truck wont adhere on the aluminum trailer. A bolt or screw on mount could work but would be in the way when trying to park the trailer in the shed. The trailer being so tall, removing the antenna is not convenient.

Suggestions??
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question How abt this..

KE5CKG ,
Greetings from NH`
Each unit requires abit of thinking about location of radio.
Mostly, you'll find it's all about where you're going to be operating the radio from when the unit is parked. I think once you've decided on the location, the rest should fall into place.
Not every unit is laid out exactlly the same but..close enough to warrant this: The most common entry point would be behind the frig.
Reasons:
1. There's a big opening on the top for cable to run into the unit without having to drill a hole. (Just be sure you use a "drip loop" when routing the cable.)
2.The access panel behind the frig is huge~ So it makes it easier to work there without busting your knuckles.
3. If need be, there's a 12v tie-in there for the radio as well. In my case, I had a 12v wall mounted outlet there already..
4. To drill a small hole for the coax cable is easy to do on the wall around the frig..(standing either outside or inside..)
As for mounting the ant..You can use a mount that is attached to the frig vent and, when traveling..Just disconnect the ant from the base for travel. BNC plug are great for this purpose, as well as other types.
I know you must have "homebrewed" your own ant as well...This could be the chance to play with some very lite weight ants to see what might work the best for you..I'd even play with some gnd plane types as well..
Note:
Somewhere out there is an Airstreamer whose unit sports a huge fold-over pole for low band operations. This I saw at the factory abt 4 yrs ago..Quite the set-up~ Maybe one day, he'll show up on the forum and share some photos of his unit's ant.
btw..I've forgotten what my node is on echo-link as I've not been on there for months~But..It was pure fun~maybe we'll see you down the road on there..
K4NEH...aka 53FC

Good luck to you~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
53 FlyingCloud,
I like the idea for using the fridge vent for the antenna lead a lot. For a newbie HAM could you please provide a little more detail on the drip loop. We'll be taking our radio with us the first time this weekend.
Thanks,
Ken - KE7DUI
Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
A 'drip loop' is a loop of cable that drops down below the wall entry hole in the side of the AS and then back up. Water will follow the cable to the bottom of the loop and drip off, rather then follow the cable into the wall entry.

Other mounting options to consider, I have a friend who has a folding antenna on his truck so he can park in the garage. You may also consider just bringing the cable out of the trailer, and connecting ANY antenna outside as needed much like TV satillite receiver dishes. Then you can change antenna from small portables to large wireline as your needs change. Actually, were you to connect as part of your set up, you might be able to run the cable from underneath the AS rather then up and out. Just a thought.

I have a 1/4 wave antenna on my truck, and would consider the same on top of the AS. It would not be as tall as the A/C unit so height not a real issue and the range would not be blocked much by the A/C unit. But I really think that I will have an external antenna, AWAY from the AS. This way, with a little rope, I can haul it up into a tree for more altitude.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleskeep
A 'drip loop' is a loop of cable that drops down below the wall entry hole in the side of the AS and then back up. Water will follow the cable to the bottom of the loop and drip off, rather then follow the cable into the wall entry.
Hey..troubleskeep
thanks for catching that..
Good luck on your first outing..KEN~
K4NEH
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Howdy Hams, Kb6oin In Napa Valley Here, Name Is Jim. Have A 2003 22' International Ccd, Looking For Ideas, Pictures Etc, For Setting Up A Hf Rig In The Airstream, Ant Ideas, Etc. Thanks, 73's, Jim
Old 02-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Echolink conference for Airstream ARC(Amateur RadioClub)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
Hi Vern and Igor
Great - I understand that a station will only show up on the station list if ON the air - But listing on the Alarms is great and we will connect! I agree. this would be great to unit a fraternity of A/S Hams on this program. Since I have been the Airstream ARC(Amateur RadioClub) I have seen no activity - this would be a great activator for interest - I had actually decided that being a member of the A/S ARC was pointless if there was little or no activity on the net. This program is so convenient and easy to use-beats the static and problems with radio and amp for sure.
The Airstream ARC(Amateur RadioClub) seems almost exclusively oriented to HF. This of course eliminates participation by all of us Tech class folks.
As a compromise, I had written them to suggest that in addition to their HF nets that they consider using an Echolink Conference Server for a weekly Airstream owners Echolink conference. This was about 6 months ago. So far, no action.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
KR4K (Gus) and K5MCL (Mary) from Central Texas. Son is KF6JDC adn daughter is W5MCL.
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:25 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Well, add me to the list of Airstream Hams here...

NC2F