Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #393
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I run a little Elecraft K2 when camping in the Airstream and love it. It has the 100W amp built in. I have experience with the 897 doing work with the State medical assistance team. I do not like the radio. I have to keep the nifty-fifty book handy as nothing about the radio is intuative to me. I'm not saying it is a bad radio, just hard to use unless you use it every day. I run a TenTec rig at home and I think if I were going to buy a new radio for camping I would get a TenTec Eagle. They have a great receiver and a small footprint. The KX3 is a fine radio but with the external amp you have a lot of cables and stuff, plus it is pricy. Since my wife does not like to listen to me on the radio I have never felt the need for HF in the truck. I do have a dual band and like someone mention earlier, I never hear much activity when traveling. I can usually make a QSO if I try all the repeaters in the area if it is a bigger town. Lots of days I'll travel 300 miles with every machine along the route in the radio and never hear anyone.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #394
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Just found this.. WY3A RockMite

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 AM   #395
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Just found this.. WY3A RockMite

My first thought on reading was, "wouldn't people be impressed if you pulled out a cigarette-pack sized tin and told them you could talk around the world with it".

Guess I really have reached greybeard status.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #396
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's impressive performance in such a small package.

However, IMHO life's a bit short for nothing but QRP operations, and I'm useless at CW, despite my best efforts.

I'll run 100 watts or less for my toys...voice and digital only.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #397
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Tallassee , Alabama
pSK31 is almost as good as CW. I have had some fairly impressive contacts with my KX3 and a Buddipole and wasn't really trying all that hard. Maybe an android tablet has better psk apps than the iPad, but I find a small laptop does just fine.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #398
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I have a stand-alone PSK-31 modem with a display, just add keyboard and transceiver and adjust. Has a spectrum scope as well. It's from NUE-PSK. Runs on its own batteries darn near forever with my FT-450 rig.

Ref 'www.nue-PSK.com

Well worth what I paid for it.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #399
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bray View Post
pSK31 is almost as good as CW. I have had some fairly impressive contacts with my KX3 and a Buddipole and wasn't really trying all that hard. Maybe an android tablet has better psk apps than the iPad, but I find a small laptop does just fine.
With all due respect. I am sure that even the most dedicated CW ops (which I consider myself to be one of) can not pull a signal out of nothing like a properly adjusted PSK-31 2 way QSO can. Don't feel bad however, one is human and one is robot.

Ken W7TS
Old 01-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #400
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I've solid copied PSK-31 signals that you can't even hear on the speaker...it's flat-out amazing what a small microprocessor can do with the right software.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #401
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Hello everyone. KD2FIQ here (XYL is KD2FQE). Have a new 2017 Base Camp on order. Looking forward to setting up some equipment inside. I certainly want to have a 2 meter 70 centimeter radio set up permanently to act as our "Base Camp". As the Base Camp roof is a little unusual in profile compared to other AS models, I am not certain how to best install an NMO style antenna mount. Would be great if it could be done at the factory but I don't know how realistic that is. My expected HF rig to take on the road will be my Yaesu FT-991. Any other tips would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #402
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Hello everyone. KD2FIQ here (XYL is KD2FQE). Have a new 2017 Base Camp on order. Looking forward to setting up some equipment inside. I certainly want to have a 2 meter 70 centimeter radio set up permanently to act as our "Base Camp". As the Base Camp roof is a little unusual in profile compared to other AS models, I am not certain how to best install an NMO style antenna mount. Would be great if it could be done at the factory but I don't know how realistic that is. My expected HF rig to take on the road will be my Yaesu FT-991. Any other tips would be appreciated.
Put the antenna on your TV. Makes a good ground plane for HF.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:05 AM   #403
Rivet Master

Corona , California
It's going to take drilling holes to do an NMO connector. Possibly an access panel on the interior that neatly screws over the internal access to the NMO mount.

On my AS the UHF/VHF antenna is simply bracketed to the solar panel mount. Works good enough. The HF antenna is a bit harder.

KE4GNK

Old 11-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, not a ham but I am a retired EE (Aerospace)

Can someone point me to a good thread here for the basics of getting started, what equipment / radio I might need, how small an antenna I can get away with...thanks!

Rich

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #405
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
First would be to study for a license. Not difficult since they have done away with the code requirement.

Secondly would be a UHF/VHF radio ( base or mobile) The antennas are much shorter then HF. Some are very easy to build. They may also be mounted on your tow vehicle or trailer.

Once the bug has bitten (HI HI) time for HF

Good luck with your quest.

Best 73
Dave- WV8P
Old 11-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #406
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There are lots online ham course study, sites where you can take practice test for you ham license.ARRL has excellent study guides that you can order from the ARRL web site or Amazon. The question pool for each license level is published. The Tech license gives you privileges on VHF and UHF bands and on 10 meters. The next level is General and that allows you to use the HF bands. That opens up the world to you. I would suggest you seek out a local ham club in your area. Go to a meeting and meet some folks. Most big clubs have ham testing sessions on a regular basis. Way too many consideration on which radio will fit your needs to even suggest and you will find folks who can give you pro's and con's of many different radios. For a starter radio, there are some really good Chinese hand held 2M/440mhz for under a $75.