Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #267
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We leave tomorrow for Hamcation in Orlando FL. Looking forward to meeting up with large number of WBCCI Amateur Radio Club and RV Service Net folks there. Expecting >50 RVs in our group. Great weather, nice hamfest, fine folks.

Hope to see you there, Rick.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #268
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We've spent the week in Orlando FL in pretty nice weather for the fine hamfest, Hamcation. And Katie bar the door, we Airstreamers have been outnumbered by other brands in this rally! No fights broke out, no name calling, just really great daily socials, potlucks, and hanging out wherever someone raised a hood or opened a camper-shell.

One thing members of our growing group have in common -- we are all members of RV Service Net International, sponsored by WBCCI Amateur Radio Club. Check us out at http://rvsvcnet.WBCCI.net

We have daily 40 meter nets, five days/week 20 meter nets per schedules on the website, and nets on east coast, Rocky Mtns, and pacific coast. All appropriately licensed hams welcome to check in on our nets. Mobile check-ins are priority, and lots of traffic on these nets.

Come see us at website and visit with us on nets.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #269
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Passed The Extra Exam

Well I found a local exam offering in Lebanon, PA., studied really hard, got up bright and early this morning and braved the gusting winds to make it to Heisey's Diner where the club was having their meeting and offering licensing exams. I met some more friendly hams and passed the Amateur Extra exam (49 out of 50)!!! Now I can wait for my license grant to show up in the FCC database and then apply for a 1X2 or 2X1 vanity call. Next hurdle...Learn CW!!!
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #270
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
passed the Amateur Extra exam (49 out of 50)!!!
Fantastic!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #271
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
VE8 MB here..... AS 23' international
Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #272
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Bridgeville , Delaware
N3vez

I have been an amateur for a few years, retired as an air traffic controller in 2005; I always thought I would like an A/S, but wanted time to use it. Well, I took the plunge last Friday. I went up to Colonial and made a deal for a new 2010 Flying Cloud 28 ft.

My older ARRL net directory says there is an A/S net on HF, but I didn't look for it yet. I am on the Delmarva Peninsula, and since I'm so new. I haven't even picked up my rig yet, I would like to hear from a couple a/streamers via e-mail.

N3VEZ

wperry@verizon.net
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #273
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Well I found a local exam offering in Lebanon, PA., studied really hard, got up bright and early this morning..... and passed the Amateur Extra exam (49 out of 50)!!! Now I can wait for my license grant to show up in the FCC database and then apply for a 1X2 or 2X1 vanity call. Next hurdle...Learn CW!!!
Wouldn't expect less. Now for the others studying for the extra, did you have any of those odd charts, and did you need to use your calculator to eliminate enough answers to pass the test? When I took mine a few years ago I could eliminate enough answers by inspection without turning on the calculator, same with the chart questions.
N7YS

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #274
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
More

All you younguns have it easy.
When I wrote my exams back in 1960 you drew all the diagrams, explained the components and had to pass the CW tests before hand.
You were on CW only for one year , then wrote more tests, more CW tests and then you got your license.

I have had all catagories plus TV and Radar here.. I am slowly getting rid of the many Rigs and equipment I have. Been there, Done that.
Enjoy it is a heck of a Hobby, and business.

I forgot to add Our local club had a visit for the late King Hussain, and I operated from Signal Hill in Newfoundland. It was no the vary spot that Marconi did his experiments.
The site is so quiet I thought my rig was defective. 75 mtrs to England ,France, Holland ,Germany, and Spain.

Rae VE3CZN
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #275
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by raebaker06 View Post
All you younguns have it easy.
When I wrote my exams back in 1960 you drew all the diagrams, explained the components and had to pass the CW tests before hand.
You were on CW only for one year , then wrote more tests, more CW tests and then you got your license.

I have had all catagories plus TV and Radar here.. I am slowly getting rid of the many Rigs and equipment I have. Been there, Done that.
Enjoy it is a heck of a Hobby, and business.

I forgot to add Our local club had a visit for the late King Hussain, and I operated from Signal Hill in Newfoundland. It was no the vary spot that Marconi did his experiments.
The site is so quiet I thought my rig was defective. 75 mtrs to England ,France, Holland ,Germany, and Spain.

Rae VE3CZN
Heck that's nothing, when I got my license in 1958, I had to send Morse code left handed.

Ken
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Working On CW & Got 2X1 Call

Well I am strugling along trying to learn CW, I think it's goinig to be a long row to hoe, but I am confident I will eventually get to where I am comfortable with sending and receiving. Right now I am concentrating on receiving. The local club has a CW training net once a week. They start out at 5 WPM and progress up to 30 WPM...I get lost right around 6 WPM .

After I passed my Extra exam I applied for a 2X1 call and I am now officially NQ3U.

73s
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #277
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
the joy of CW

To learn CW I kept a key in my car beside me and I practiced CW while I was driving in slow traffic, tapping out license plate inscriptions, or choice comments about idiot drivers on the DC roads. I wish learning the material for the extra exam was as easy, as I hope to pass it someday, but don't think I can learn it while commuting!

Kathy
K3KMJ
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefawn View Post
To learn CW I kept a key in my car beside me and I practiced CW while I was driving in slow traffic, tapping out license plate inscriptions, or choice comments about idiot drivers on the DC roads. I wish learning the material for the extra exam was as easy, as I hope to pass it someday, but don't think I can learn it while commuting!

Kathy
K3KMJ
Kathy,
Thanks for the idea. I can do that too as I spend an hour each way commuting to and from work.

I orderd the study guide from ARRL for Christmas, studied all January and half of February until I got the theory down. During that time I downloaded a study / test app for my I-Pad and kept testing until I was consitantly receiving a passing mark. It's intimidating to think of that large question pool, but once I had the theory down, the test wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

So I'll encourage you like others did for me here on the forum, get out there study, and take the test.

73s
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #279
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I've got another suggestion for learning to copy code - In the Navy you went to code school half a day and cleaned toilets the other half until you could copy 20 wpm!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #280
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
DAWG - DID - IT _ . . ( Morse Code )

Everyone learns differently.... I thought I'd share the code method that worked for me in short order. Passed, perfect copy, first time out.

In fact, I can't get these funny little ditties and visuals out of my head.

Lot's of fun ! Wish this was around when I was a Scout !

Morse Code Quick Centennial

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote