Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #127
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
Cq Cq Cq

Ki4hjx In The Great Smokey Mountains Of N.c.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:46 AM   #128
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DeLand , Florida
Hi fellow HAMs,

W2BYO here. Not yet an Airstream owner but interested in purchising a vintage 31 footer in 2008.

Have always liked the looks of the Airstreams and decided that I want one. I have never been inside one, and would like to find owners in the central Florida area who would be kind enough to let me visit their trailers.

Anyone interested, contact me at: w2byo@hotmail.com.

Echolink is GREAT. Also check out QSOnet at QsoNet - Virtual Ionosphere For Amateur Radio

Ray/W2BYO

Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2byo
Hi fellow HAMs,

W2BYO here. Not yet an Airstream owner but interested in purchising a vintage 31 footer in 2008.

Have always liked the looks of the Airstreams and decided that I want one. I have never been inside one, and would like to find owners in the central Florida area who would be kind enough to let me visit their trailers.

Anyone interested, contact me at: w2byo@hotmail.com.

Echolink is GREAT. Also check out QSOnet at QsoNet - Virtual Ionosphere For Amateur Radio

Ray/W2BYO
Ray, welcome. You have posted in the Can Opener thread I am sure someone in the FL. Panhandle will reply. Please make the Can Opener. I suggest you reserve a space now as I am know once you inspect an Airstream you will run out and buy one on the spot and will need a spot for the Rally.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #130
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
N2XBW in St. Lawrence County, Northern NY. I've not been active in the last few years. Internet and cell phone are just too easy!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW
N2XBW in St. Lawrence County, Northern NY. I've not been active in the last few years. Internet and cell phone are just too easy!
N2XBW K0RKK, True enough, however the IRLP is entertaining. I connect to a local repeater in Monument and talk with a friend in AZ once a week using UHF on this end and 2 meter on the AZ end. As long as the repeater isn't being used and they are both operational the signal is bell clear. Kinda cool and I expect to use the repeater system when boondocking next summer to get connection when the cell phone won't. Repeaters all over Colorado and lots of dead area for cell phones.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #132
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
K0RKK, N2XBW
Thanks for the reply. I just picked up a used RS 2m and will get it going soon. I still have a couple antennas and need a better day to get on the roof. I'll also mount the 2m on the Airstream for summer use.
73 de N2XBW in the 16F and snowy St. Lawrence Valley in Northern NY.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
WA4PHI here in Georgia.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
2m on the Airstream

How do you plan to mount the 2m on the Airstream?

Mounting on the roof would interfer with tree limbs, gas station canopies and my own garage. The AS is so high that it would be a nusance to have to climb up to remove the antenna every time it is in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW
K0RKK, N2XBW
I still have a couple antennas and need a better day to get on the roof. I'll also mount the 2m on the Airstream for summer use.
73 de N2XBW in the 16F and snowy St. Lawrence Valley in Northern NY.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud
Okay,
how many A/S owner do we have out there who are Ham Radio operators?
K4NEH
While I not currently active, I am KB2SWU, and am a recent AS owner.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #136
Rivet Master

Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25

Mounting on the roof would interfer with tree limbs, gas station canopies and my own garage. The AS is so high that it would be a nusance to have to climb up to remove the antenna every time it is in the way.
I think I will mount the 2m antenna on the mirror support. I haven't yet measured, but I think a 2-way aluminum antenna mount will just have enough horizontal room behind the mirror.
73 de N2XBW
Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #137
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
palo alto , California
Send a message via AIM to lesliedow Send a message via Yahoo to lesliedow
KG6HSG here in California

1964 Globetrotter
KG6HSG
lesliedow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25

I bought a collapsible 32' fiberglass kite pole and am working on a back packer J pole antenna. I plan to spike the bottom of the mast to the ground next to the A frame on the minuet, lash to the A frame, and run the coax through the front window. Good only while stationary of course.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #139
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
new HF antenna

The motorized HF antenna arrived last week. I picked up a 2' piece of black pipe and am building thin sanded coats of black gloss alkyd enamel on it. A couple of stainless steel u-clamps will clamp the antenna bracket to the pipe. The pipe attaches with a pair of ss bolts to the the mount by the tow-v rear fender. I'll mount the motor switch by the dash. Wish I still had the creeper -- I'll run the coax/control cable from the rear to the tow-v cab, strap the cable to the chassis, connect to the radio and VOILA! I'll start watching for the bands to improve.

Then plan on another bout of rf bonding. Picked up a roll of copper perforated grounding strap from the builder hardware. Installation accessories = $8. It's gonna look sharp. (hope it works)

N5RTG Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #140
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
The motorized antenna is installed and working great! I've spent a little time each of the past three weeks messin with it and finished it this afternoon. Installation was really smooth although I really botched the first UHF plug soldering and have temporarily gone with solder on the coax center and a solderless joint on the braid. Tried it out and was getting SWR around 2.5-3 on 40 meters. Oh yeah, hadn't attached the ground strap to the antenna mount lug. Tried again, SWR reading 1.1. Can't wait to try on other frequencies and then get on some nets.

Antenna whip (six feet) tip is approx 12'6" from the ground, depending upon tuning position. I will measure tomorrow the height at 40 and 20 and see if I will even want to drive highways with the whip mounted.

Pictures are tough to do, I think I'll take some detail shots to show the mount and the tuning switch install and I'll post them. It's difficult to show an image of a ten foot black antenna. Too long and too stealth.

N5RTG Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote