Old 09-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ham radio

Howdy folks. I have a 2003 International CCD. I will be taking it on the road for the first time this summer. I need to know from other hams how they set up their rigs (HF and VHF) in their airstreams, any hints? Pictures. Seperate power source? etc. thanks, Jim Goertzen KB6OIN

Old 01-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Ham Radio in Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen
Howdy folks. I have a 2003 International CCD. I will be taking it on the road for the first time this summer. I need to know from other hams how they set up their rigs (HF and VHF) in their airstreams, any hints? Pictures. Seperate power source? etc. thanks, Jim Goertzen KB6OIN
Hi Jim,

I use a HT and the power requirements are so low that I can just plug it into the 12VDC outlet.

I have a 95 Excella and I have been trying to decide where to mount a VHF antenna. Best reception would suggest on the roof but the antenna would be in the way when I park in the shed. The Airstream is so high that getting access to the antenna to lower or remove it would be a hassle.

I am considering going with an external tripod mounted antenna. This would allow some flexability with placement.

Have any better ideas?

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

External Ant

I Was Thinking Of A External Tripod Mount Ant Also, If I Don't Come Up With A Better Idea, Mine Would Be Holding Up A Hf Ant, The Advantage Of Course Is Not Realy Screwing Up The As With Any Ant/water Leaks Etc. Plus It Keeps The Xyl From Complaining About Changing The Looks Of The As, What Kind Of Tripod Are You Considering? 73's Jim Kb6oin
Old 01-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
External Tripod Antenna Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen
I Was Thinking Of A External Tripod Mount Ant Also, If I Don't Come Up With A Better Idea, Mine Would Be Holding Up A Hf Ant, The Advantage Of Course Is Not Realy Screwing Up The As With Any Ant/water Leaks Etc. Plus It Keeps The Xyl From Complaining About Changing The Looks Of The As, What Kind Of Tripod Are You Considering? 73's Jim Kb6oin
MFJ makes a couple of antenna tripods, the $40 MFJ-1918 & $80 MFJ-1919 models. However, when I am out boondocking, I could just drive a steel stake or pipe in the ground to hold the antenna boom in lieu of a tripod.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
Timely question for me too. I'm just getting ready to put my station together in the CCD. I was planning to put my screwdriver on top of a 6 foot pipe that I would strap to the rear frame. I would run control wiriing and coax into the refrig. compartment and then down under the fridge and under the dinette. Power would be directly from the batteries (fused) to the Kenwood TS-570. Of course a ground for the radio back to the frame. Also plan to ground the screwdriver to the frame. I'd welcome feedback on these ideas too.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Ham rig

Say thanks wildwoodrver. I think you are going in the direction I was thinking about. Especially in regards to the wiring, (ground,coax cable placement) would like to know more about what you mean by "fusing" to the batteries for power. All info very appreciated since Im kinda on my own here and new to mobile operation and the AS. Any pictures you send that show the gradual placement of the rig and parts would be great if not to much trouble for you. Can't wait for summer to get out of here! Tnx again, 73's, Jim, KB6OIN
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
Ham Antenna

I see this thread is a couple of months old; hope some of you all are still monitoring it. Going to be living in our Safari 28' all summer and want to set up QRP rig on 40m. Got everything, including a nice little center-loaded vertical that sits on a camera tripod. Only question is how to run the coax into the trailer. I thought about a thru-wall connector, but really don't want to stick holes in the trailer. I haven't checked it yet. Does that route in through the refrigerator compartment really work? Any things to watch out for?

Thanks!
Jim
N5JRS
Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Location for Coax Connections

Jim, I wouldn't go through the skin. I haven't run my coax yet but I did run a temperature probe from my solar charge controller out to the front battery box on our 2005 25' CCD. The floor under the front sofa or gaucho above the spare tire storage area doesn't have any insulation under it, just a thin aluminum sheet. You reach up in behind the sofa through the opening to access the 12 volt power distribution block near the front skin and drill off to the side of the spare tire through both the plywood floor and the aluminum. Make sure that you don't drill up under the wiring harness. I drilled a small pilot hole from above. Then you can get below and use a hole saw to drill from below. If you drill a larger hole you can attach a bulkhead connector to a small plate and attach it to the aluminum skin from below. Then you can find one of the military style UHF male caps on a chain to screw on and keep the connector clean when you don't have an antenna connected.

Don (Motoman) Williams kd6uvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeer
I see this thread is a couple of months old; hope some of you all are still monitoring it. Going to be living in our Safari 28' all summer and want to set up QRP rig on 40m. Got everything, including a nice little center-loaded vertical that sits on a camera tripod. Only question is how to run the coax into the trailer. I thought about a thru-wall connector, but really don't want to stick holes in the trailer. I haven't checked it yet. Does that route in through the refrigerator compartment really work? Any things to watch out for?

Thanks!
Jim
N5JRS

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Rockport , Texas
Re: Location for coax connections

Thanks very much, Don. That's just the information I was looking for.

Jim
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Hey Don I agree with Jim. That sounds like a good way to work with an external tripod. Which is the way I'm leaning. I would like a bit more detail (I'm very paranoid about cutting holes in a still under warranty Safari) on bit sizes and mounting hardware. Pictures of your setup would be very helpful.
Thanks,
KL
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I came up with my setup to allow me to hook to portable antennas that are tripod mounted or my dipole supported from a 22 ft windsock pole or to the Yaesu screwdriver type antenna I have for my FT-897. I have attached a couple of pictures of the opening under the sofa, and the temperature probe wire. First photo is the space under the sofa, requires that you belly crawl in so you can see and reach in behind to drill the hole. Photo 2 shows the temperature probe wire through the floor and Photo 3 shows the same wire from underneath. You will note that it is right next to the penetration that Airstream made for the main wiring harness from the battery and tow vehicle harness. You can examine the space above and below the floor next to the wire to gauge where to drill.

As noted before I haven't drilled the hole for the coax yet. If you want to keep the hole small you could just drill for the wire and mount a small project box with a bulkhead connector out the side or a small box with a hinged lid to open to access the connector and close to protect the connector from the elements when not in use.

I did look at trying to fish the wire to the refrigerator closet and then out the door but wanted something that wouldn't require the outside door to be open. You mount a bulkhead adapter through the outside access door and leave enough coax free inside to allow the door to fully swing up. It also depends upon where you are going to sit for an operating position, at the table which is close to the refrigerator on our 25' CCD or at the sofa which would be more difficult to rout the coax to the refrigerator closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire 0001.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	35136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire 0002.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	35137  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire 0003.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	35138  

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote