Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

Hendersonville , North Carolina
GPS for truck routes..

Hi..

Had a friend lose a front a/c unit to a low bridge. She is looking for a competent GPS that would direct her along trucking routes or at least alert her to low bridges.

Any advice about these units? Also, what would be a good price for this equipment?

Thank you,

kristin
khlear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The first place I would look is at any sizable truck stop. If anyone markets them they will be on sale there.

Most of the commonly marketed GPS have "fastest, shortest, and off road" routes there has got to be one for truck routes

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I don't know of any truck specific GPS units. There are computer programs out there that will route you on truck safe routes. These programs will keep you on truck routes & not let you enjoy the scenic routes. These programs can cost up to $250. None of the trucking companies I drove for would pay for this. They figured it was the driver's responsibility to be safe even though they wanted to route you.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Palukaville , Delaware
Quack (duck!) low bridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlear View Post
Hi..

Had a friend lose a front a/c unit to a low bridge. She is looking for a competent GPS that would direct her along trucking routes or at least alert her to low bridges.

Any advice about these units? Also, what would be a good price for this equipment?

Thank you,

kristin
Kristin,

No offense intended to you and/or your friend.

BUT, if your friend is not capable of using her eyes to determine that a bridge is so low that is MIGHT (or not) rip the AC unit off of the top of a 10 foot tall Airstream, I do not think that a GPS unit is going to do any good at all.

Reading your post reminds me of the chap who purchased a GPS when they first came out some years ago in Europe. He followed the road on the GPS and proceeded to drive his car into a river. Seems the map on the GPS did not reflect there was no bridge at the river and he failed to note that minor detail.

This particular driver was on the news reports blaming the GPS manufacturer for his predicament; in the background the divers were attaching a cable to his vehicle so it could be winched out of the river.

Sorry but technology is in no way going to be able to save your friend from ripping the AC off the top of an Airstream until such time as driving is completely automated.

If your friend is not capable of seeing a bridge over the road and being aware that s/he has a 10 foot tall trailer behind their vehicle at the same time I sure hope this person is NEVER on any road anywhere near our location.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Lighten up there Buckaroo! If you google that question you will find lots of others have asked it. The consensus answer is to download a POI file (Point of Interest) of all the low bridges to your GPS. A couple of places that have them are www.poi-factory.com has a Garmin file and www.tomtomfree.com says it has one for TomTom GPS. They said you can set the Garmin up go give a warning when you are approaching a low bridge.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #6

Thanks!

Thanks, Paul or Dee!

This might be exactly what she is looking for. She is a GREAT and experienced rv driver; the freak incident happened late at night on a hilly, curvy road.

Thanks for your time and help!

kristin
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Clearance heights don't seem to be much of a problem with our AS...however, with our suspension-lifted truck camper, it was a different story...

We have a roll-up garage door at work, so I parked the TC underneath, then rolled the door down onto the highest point (the AC, of course!), then was able to take an accurate height measurement for clearance purposes...

I attached a large lettered sign onto the sun visor above the steering wheel with the clearance measurement (rounded UP to the nearest 1/2 foot) so I wouldn't forget...There were many times I jumped out when approaching gas stations to make sure we'd fit beneath!

Most bridges and overpasses are labeled with clearance measurements...so it's indeed the responsibility of the one behind the wheel to act accordingly, IMHO...

Technology is great, and GPS is a boon for us when in unfamiliar territory...but even with POI data onboard one's GPS, I still think it's one's own responsibility to look out the windshield for possible conflicts and be prepared...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlear View Post
Hi..

Thank you,

kristin
Go to a truck stop. Buy a truckers (motor carriers) atlas. It shows all the truck routes and lists all the low clearence bridges by state then road.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post

Technology is great, and GPS is a boon for us when in unfamiliar territory...but even with POI data onboard one's GPS, I still think it's one's own responsibility to look out the windshield for possible conflicts and be prepared...

Indeed:

GPS Causing Truckers to Crash Into Bridges - Auto - FOXNews.com

From the article: "Most trucking companies rely on GPS services that are specifically for trucks and route them away from restricted roads,..."

Apparently, there is some type of truck route specific GPS available, but some truckers are using standard GPS to find the shortest route, which doesn't always work out for the best.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Garmin - Truck

We have an older Garmin C340. You can designate the type of vehicle you are driving as "Truck". But, I have no idea whether it would route you around low bridges.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ore City , Texas
Garmin Nuvi 465T Truck Navigator
tdeLorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
PC Miler has been an industry standard for truck routing for years. They now make a GPS with that same truck routing.

BTW, I have discovered that there have been times when a PC Miler route was 100 miles shorter than a standard GPS route.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #13

Thank you for your generous and experienced advice!

kristin
Old 10-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Try this site

I haven't tried this, but an experienced Airstreamer passed this along. It looks pretty good:

TruckMiles.com by ProMiles Software - Free Truck Routing, Maps, Trips, Mileages, Diesel Fuel Prices, Road Conditions and more!
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote