Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
garmin gps feedback

Want to get a GPS before the season starts. We are thinking about the Garmin nuvi 260 or the garmin nuvi 750, does anyone have any feedback on either of these units??

Thanks,
mrs. rollerboy
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
I have two of the Garmin Nuvi 750 units for 9 months now.

They have both worked similarly and overall above my expectations. They have done well in finding addresses and providing what turn out to be good directions.

I haven't been 'steered' badly yet, but I know some have had this problem.

The mounting works well onto the windshield. The battery life is adequate, but mine are used nearly always powered by the car 12VDC. The touchscreen is responsive and seems intuitive to me.

However, when entering an address to find, I nearly always remove the unit from its cradle mount on the windscreeen, since it is hard for me to enter if it is mounted. I think this would be true for any such unit.

I updated my map databases as soon as I purchased these, and recently bought the lifetime update from Garmin for both units- you have to register by serial number for each unit.

Be prepared for the cost of map updates- I think it was $65 for a one time, or $130 for lifetime updates.

Overall, these two Nuvi 750s have worked well, but given that new features are appearing all the time, it would be good to do your research on these and similar units.

One site I've used and found to be pretty reliable, both for consumer and marine units, is at GPS Review : GPS Reviews
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We received a Garmin nuvi for Christmas. It is not something we longed for or would have purchased for ourselves, but a techno-geek daughter thought we could use it. So, we have used it. It has done very well when you enter an address, giving very explicit and accurate directions---not so well when you use the search function and go from there. We have "arrived" at on-ramps to the interstate and wide spots in the road. We have not purchased any updates/upgrades.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our Nuvi will occasionally send us on tangents, like take an off ramp, then take the onramp directly ahead and re-enter the freeway. It also tried to send me overland through the desert when I was trying to find an address in Borrego Springs, but other than that, it's been very good. You just have to look at the directions it gives you before blindly following them.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
After participating in a WBCCI Caravan last year and being about the only ones without a GPS unit I went ahead and purchased the Garmin Nuvi 765 late last year. I am not a techno-weenine, but as I looked at things I decided to go for most of the bells and whistles. I haven't used it too much yet, but have found it to be easy to use when I have used it. The main test will come during this summers travels.

I do have to say that I amazed myself in January when we were travelling and I got an incoming call on my cell phone. It was hard to hear in the truck at expressway speeds, so I linked the phone to the GPS using Bluetooth, and then made the GPS broadcast on an FM radio frequency so that we could listen using the radio speakers. All I could think was "ain't technology great" when it all worked the first time I tried it.

I ended up with the nuvi 765 a little bit by chance. I was also considering the Garmin nuvi 880, the Tom Tom Go 930/930T, and maybe even the Magellen Maestro 4370. Each had their plusses and minuses. But then I found an online sale for the nuvi 765 at meijer.com and the price made the decision for me. I seem to remember paying about $400 for the 765 which was their latest unit at the time. And this price was better than the prices I could find for the other units I was considering, most of which had been on the market for some time.

One feature that I would recommend is having a unit that speaks street names. This is better than "turn right in 1/4 mile", etc. Beyond that I do like the Bluetooth link to my cell phone so I can use it as my speakerphone, and technically you can use the GPS to dial phone numbers in your address book and also for POI's (points of interest), but I haven't tried that yet. I would also say go for the the 4.3" screen over the smaller 3.5".

Good luck with your decision!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Nuvi vs. Magellan

We have had a Garman Nuvi for a year. We enjoy using it and have found many benefits when we travel to unfamiliar areas.

I have noticed, however, the Magellan units at Costco and one of the categories in their menu system is "campgrounds." Has anyone on the forum used a Magellan and can comment on this? I wonder if the Magellan is better for RVers? It is HARD to find campgrounds on the Nuvi unless you already know the name of the RV park/campground. It has a category for parks but I haven't found that very useful for camping.

I do like the way the Nuvi interacts with my computer and have uploaded custom "POIs". This is a very good aspect of the Garman. Perhaps all the brands have something similar.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdubyadee View Post
I have noticed, however, the Magellan units at Costco and one of the categories in their menu system is "campgrounds." Has anyone on the forum used a Magellan and can comment on this? I wonder if the Magellan is better for RVers? It is HARD to find campgrounds on the Nuvi unless you already know the name of the RV park/campground. It has a category for parks but I haven't found that very useful for camping.
I ran into this, but found that if I re-search using "RV Park" or "RV", I will get more results. It's pretty good at finding state parks and KOAs.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Have the 620 model and love it.
As to the occasional "alternate route", the only one I have found so far is in my own neighborhood-it tries to take me one block over instead of straight out the main street.
I suspect that all brands have some mapping glitches.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
How do these things work way out in the boonies?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I'm on my 3rd Garmin now - purchased over 9 years and each is still going strong - GPS 12 for walking/hiking, GPS V for fishing and now the Nuvi 250 for driving.

I agree with the comments on routing - they will take you on some interesting routes from time to time - but you will get there. Don't get rid of your road maps - they are helpful for context.

Of the dashmount type that you are looking at they will each be more than adequate - let price be your guide.

One feature that my own does not have that you might want to make sure you have: mine does not call out street names - just distances and turns (i.e. in 100 yards turn left) - this is OK most of the time but in an unfamiliar place in busy traffic I have wished it announced the street name - at the time that feature was the next model up - but I think it is a pretty basic feature now.

In the boonies purchase the topographic map series - they are absolutely great in that setting. The geographic detail is far superior - but they contain no other "points of interest" (i.e. restaurants etc.) and the topo maps are not updated with the same frequency - so if you still have them turned on when on a highway trip you will find yourself "off road" from time to time (i.e. a sharp turn may have been redesigned, a new intersection added etc. etc.) - but for crawling around back roads, fishing and hunting, they are great. One thing to note is that you need to load the topo maps you need - you can load a heck of a pile of them - but if your trip takes you to a different chunk of the world then you will need to spend a bit of time making sure you have the right maps loaded.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Love Garmin! I first bought a hand held unit and then added a better unit (not mfgr'd any longer) for the TV. I use the handheld when out in the woods and on trails so I can find my way back to camp. I mark places of interest etc and find the little gem a must have item in my pack. As a company, Garmin is tops in my book. They take care of their customers when you have a warranty issue. While their units can be a tiny bit user unfriendly, with use they become easy to understand. Enjoy your Garmin experience.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I have a Garmin Nuvi 260 and love it.. I dont need all the features the Nuvi 750 has so I went with the 260 It gives street names and you can mute them if you decide to. I see you can get them for under 150.00 now online.. Lot better deal then I got when the 260 first came out. Back then it listed for 324.00 and I paid 263.00 for it with a friends discount.. I also have the Garmin Vista HCX for hiking.. Love that too...
Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have Tom Tom software in my PDA phone, (HTC 6800) and sometimes the addresses it routes me to are just vacant corn fields or pastures.

It got confused on the way to the Can Opener this January, because it's database was not updated for the new road leading to the park.

I like Google Maps for the PDA better. More up to date and FREE!!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
With regards to use in the boonies I should have added:

For use outside the vehicle get a hand-held - they are far more versatile in their applications - but not as user-friendly (as above - once you get past the learning curve you are just fine) - and they are waterproof. You can get dash mounts for inside the car and they will still do trip routing just as effectively but the screen will be smaller and I don't think any of them "talk" to you.

For use inside the vehicle a dash or windshield mount unit is far superior for this purpose - it is "user intuitive", quick to program new destinations and seek out information, and it talks to you - but for other uses it is not waterproof and has a much narrower range of applications when compared to a handheld.

If you are an outdoors person you really should have two units - but make sure you register both of them with exactly the same registration information - this should enable you to use any of Garmins "locking" map software interchangebly between the two units.

If your applications will take you both outside and inside the car - but only 1 unit is in the cards - then get a hand-held. It works effectively in both environments - just not as user-friendly inside the car.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
If you're at all technically inclined, try this
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...kup-32038.html

Using a moving map on a laptop is orders of magnitude more flexible and useful than a packaged GPS with display. Right now you can buy a netbook with gobs of hard drive (320G) and a decent small display at Costco.

Netbook $300
GPS USB $100
Software $100 (www.Oziexplorer.com)

You can use topo maps, Google maps, or even scanned in maps of your own, like state highway maps (with all the little picnic areas, etc.). I'd be happy to send a DVD with a starter set of such maps for the 11 western states for anyone who buys the Ozi software. I don't have any connection to the company, I just love the software.

Here's some examples of maps using street information

Click image for larger version

Name:	map6.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	77930 Click image for larger version

Name:	map8.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	77931

Name:	map10.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	645.5 KB
ID:	77932 Click image for larger version

Name:	map12.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	77933

Name:	map14.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	77934 Click image for larger version

Name:	map15.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	705.6 KB
ID:	77935

One important thing to note, here, is that the Ozi software does not switch scales automatically. You have to open the map manually, just like finding a file in any other windows-based application. But when you are in moving map mode, Ozi does find the next map and load it automatically.

If you haven't looked at some of the major cities lately, here's the Capitol at very small scale

Name:	map17.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	77936

These are Landsat images for the Seattle that are fully calibrated as maps

Name:	sid1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	892.7 KB
ID:	77937 Click image for larger version

Name:	sid3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	77938

Name:	sid6.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	812.2 KB
ID:	77939

If there is sufficient interest, PM me and I'll post a short tutorial so you can see the power of using mapping software in a laptop.

Zep
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
These topo maps of Seattle don't look like much

Name:	topo1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	77943 Click image for larger version

Name:	topo2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	77944

but when you get out in the wilds of Utah (SE corner at Comb Ridge) they are much more helpful (you can hardly walk a quarter mile along the washes in Comb Ridge without coming upon a major anasazi ruin)

Name:	comb1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1,011.8 KB
ID:	77945 Click image for larger version

Name:	comb2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	986.2 KB
ID:	77946

The above topo maps are at 1:200,00 and 1:100,00. Quads (1:24,000) are also available, which are very detailed. All versions are useful, because there are different cultural features noted on the different scales.

Here's a comparison of the same area of SE Utah, but from the free map that Utah welcome centers hand out

Name:	comb0.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	77947

Zep
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
How do these things work way out in the boonies?
From experience, they work as well as they do in the city, as they get their positioning from satellites. It's kind of interesting watching the little avatar of your truck crawling across a line on the screen, with no other landmarks shown.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have a nuvi 260 , You see a flaw every once in a while , but all in all I would replace it with the same one, I can take it on my bicycle or walking when on a trip , I have also took it on a plane with me , it was real cool top speed of the plane was 568 MPH !!!! so cool left the ground at 180 MPH ,
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31 View Post
I have a nuvi 260 , You see a flaw every once in a while , but all in all I would replace it with the same one, I can take it on my bicycle or walking when on a trip , I have also took it on a plane with me , it was real cool top speed of the plane was 568 MPH !!!! so cool left the ground at 180 MPH ,
I did the samething on a flight to St Louis.. Watching it try to keep up with the road names was a hoot...Fun to see the route the plane took too...
Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I was sitting on the plane watching the route and saw Talladega Superspeedway on the garmin , looked out the window and there it was , cool to see from way up there