Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Consumer Cellular

I'm kicking around changing cellular phone companies. Does anyone have any experience with Consumer Cellular. Supposedly they use AT&T's network and have some pretty good rates. Coverage is pretty important to me and I really need reliable cell phone service. Especially once we are off the Interstate.

Up to now I've used Verizon and US Cellular both of which have given me good service. Unfortunately US Cellular withdrew from the St. Louis market. I switched to Verizon which has given be good service but at this point I use their prepaid plan to give me lower rates.

Commercial Internet reviews give Consumer Cellular glowing ratings, but they seem to have some sizable complaints. Looking at it I wonder since they advertise a lot with AARP, whether the complaints are tied to the age base of their cliental which might be less technically oriented.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
I do not know Consumer Cellular but there are now many resellers of wireless bandwidth from the "big 3".

There is always a trade off - They all have to do something to resell at a lower price point than the carrier they buy from. That may be scrimping on staffing, service or throttling bandwidth.

One tradeoff to look at carefully is no roaming. They can save costs by not paying roaming fees to other carriers - this a big deal IMO when on the road alot.

I have been looking at this recently and the resellers available at Walmart seem to have good prices. If you look carefully, you can determine the carrier for the particular plan you like. The plans I looked at had no roaming.

I decided to go with Republic Wireless. Unlimited everything. They resell Sprint, no contract, include roaming and have very good prices. Their tradeoff to lower prices is technology based and I think it is actually a feature for RV'ing.

Republic has only three phones. They are designed place and receive calls over WiFi (when available). The phone automatically uses Sprint for voice and data when no WiFi is available. It can use WiFi at home, at the campground, coffee shops, travel centers etc. This is free calling and reduces what they have to pay to Sprint.

Most campgrounds have Wifi that is good enough to place or receive a call so not matter what, we always will have service there.

You have to buy the phone upfront ($99 phone available in Oct). Their plans run $10/mo, $25/mo or $40/mo depending on the data plan you need. (we are going with the 3G $25 plan).

(FWIW - I absolutely avoid anything that AARP offers)

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
If you google search for cellular coverage maps you will find that Verizon has the best coverage. Take a look at coverage maps for each carrier and then match that up to where you find yourself most often. I work while traveling during the week. I use the the Coverage! iPad app which is a quick way to check a location. It also shows all 4 of the major carriers and you can turn on and off each overlay.
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
have you checked wal-mart's programs?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky

I have been a very satisfied user of Tracfone for many years. It's a 'pay as you go' plan and the phone you use determines your carrier. My phone does texting and some limited Internet browsing. It is not a smart phone. It uses the AT&T network. It can do roaming and if it does, the minutes used is double. Even so, with its coverage I rarely roam and it's costing me about $7 a month. My phone cost $30.

My wife has a ZTE smart phone ($49 on sale at Target) and it uses Verizon, which has no roaming. It can also use Wi-Fi, saving us minutes. The quality of the phone call is so good, my wife said I can get rid of the land line, something she said she'd never do. The only downside of the ZTE phone is that its processor is slow. It can run all the apps but sometimes it takes a while to respond.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
A lot depends on what your needs are. For example, my wife needs are not as onerous as mine. So she uses the Tracfone. We spend $100 a year to load it up with minutes and she still has minutes to carry over. (We bought the phone at Walmart for $20).

However, in my case I require "gold plated" service, as I maintain several internet servers. That means I need to have reliable data and enough minutes to cover some tech calls. In addition, I need to be able to call to and from Canada. That service I get from Verizon. I have a Wilson amplifier built into my AS with a roof-mounted antenna (the aluminum makes an absolutely perfect ground plane), which enhances my signal in fringe areas.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
My wife checks the revues of consumer cellular online and found few to none gave a good report. We are wondering way AARP would endorse a product that is getting such bad ratings.

When something sounds to good to be true, it almost always is.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
AARP endorsed Obamacare. If you like your new insurance rates you may like their cellular recommendation as well.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
No. 13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
AARP endorsed Obamacare. If you like your new insurance rates you may like their cellular recommendation as well.

If you like your cell phone carrier, you can keep your cell phone carrier???

Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Good one!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
No. 13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Consuler Cellular

Yes... it all depends on what your needs are.

Last month we did a serious re-evaluation of our needs in relation to cell phone service. We also read the reviews... Consumer Reports, January 2014 issue, rated Consumer Cellular tops for customer satisfaction. We've trusted Consumer Reports for years. I began to not trust some of the other negative reviews on the internet because I sense that the big companies are now in a big fight to hold on to their customers and might doing anything to discredit the smaller companies.

Our needs are modest. We need a cell phone for safety and emergencies while away from home (which rarely goes beyond San Diego County)! We do not need to text or get on the internet via a phone.

We switched from Verizon Wireless to Consumer Cellular last month and are very, very pleased. Our first bill came in yesterday for $24.04, and that's for 2 phone lines (Our Verizon Wireless bill was $43.69 for one phone line). Consumer Cellular does use the AT&T network and is supported by AARP. So far, its been working just fine. I'll post updates when we start camping in the desert in early November.

More information: Mobiling more for less
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106 Consumer Cellular Envoy.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	222878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0126 Consumer Cellular in Safari.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	222879  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote