Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I am getting real nostalgic here. I have not thought about Buford T. Justice or CB's in a long time. But, I am going to have one when we get our new rig. By the way...the 10 codes are becomming a thing of the past even with the police. I just read an article in our newpaper that said the "police are scrapping the 10 codes for more common language" So that everyone can understand whats being said. SAD TIMES.....
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
A big fat "4" on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
'Gimme a diabolo sandwich and a dr. Pepper, and make it fast, I'm in a *((@@ hurry!"

"you want somethin'?"

"Hushpuppies daddy."

"WE AINT GOT TIME FO DAT CR AP!"

I was really bummed out the day Jackie Gleason died. That guy was hilarious.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice. RIP
LOL That whole scene absolutely KILLS me every time I watch it!

"Dere is no way... no way... that you could come from my loins. When I get home, I'm gonna punch 'yo momma in the mouth."

Gleason was absolutely brilliant, and for my money, Buford was really as much of a landmark character for him as was Ralph Kramden. How sweeeEEEEeeeet it is!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
We had this (ahem) improper amplifying device in the truck when I was a kid. The 102" stainless whip was mounted on the camper shell, and when you keyed the mike, it put out enough wattage to illuminate the camper shell clearance light mounted next to it.

I actually still have the thing after all these years, but don't need it - my radio can send/receive nearly 10 miles "barefoot" - in a metro area. That's plenty far enough for me!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Just put a TS-2000 radio in, with a screwdriver antenna! Then you will have something to do while you are relaxin' at the campground as well. Use the Garmin or Magellen GPS to find the next restaurant, or gas station.

hint: I work for the company that makes the TS-480.

P.S. It is 73, not 73's
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #25
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
I have been talking about getting a CB for a while but Sandi keeps saying I'm nuts. I would think it would be a must for a caravan or when traveling with a buddy. Cell phone are OK but with more and more states, including CT, with laws against hand held use while driving make a CB more pratical. Plus, a good set-up doesn't look that expensive. Also with so many friends camping with us at any givine time, inside the AS it should make a good neighborhood communications device.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Went on our first caravan this summer. CB is necessary and a lot of fun when traveling. Front door and back door need really good radios. With traffic jams, etc. you can get too far apart to hear good. The work crew always leaves first with 4-5 trailers, you can string out enough to cause reception problems especially in the mountains out west.

Also, communicate morning and evening while camped with the leader giving the daily routine, changes, etc.

Also, use at international rally and our unit rallys.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
If you are going too add one, go too a good cb shop. They will tune the ant. and set it up right.
I am thinking about adding one to my truck. Im not sure what is involved in "tuning" the antenna. Anyone recomend a radio?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I don't take a trip of any length without our Cobra handheld CB sitting in a cup holder, powered by a lighter plug and fed by a magnetic Little Wil antenna instead of the rubber ducky. It's saved us getting caught in traffic jams or by smokeys, got us the best price on diesel, etc. and I rarely transmit on it, mostly just listen.

I don't know where truckers aren't using it anymore, but I've heard plenty of them from Dayton to SLC, to Canada, to the East Coast, and to Florida.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Gen.. you really can't go wrong with any of the cobra radio's they seem to have been around for along time I have a cobra model 29ltd classic I dont know if they still make that one but they have a replacement model I am sure. about 100.00 is a fair price range and the antenna about half that in my area that is good luck.....

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Our motorhome came with one, but trying to get another RVer to answer is like trying to get them to wave back. Must be the shiny aluminum that paralyzes the arm.
I always get most truckers to let me know how my towbar and dingy are doing. A lot of them want to know what kind of engine,transmission,etc.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #31
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
When I started this thread I was just starting to mess around with my cb. Now whenever I pull, I fire that baby up. The real time info the truckers relay is worth having a cb, and they always are interested in my AS! DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Convoy

Just a little miscellany:

Remember the 70's flick Convoy? It was supposed to be Texas but was partly filmed in my home town of Estancia, New Mexico. I'm also looking for a copy. anybody got one?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #33
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
We caravan quite a bit and find the CB very useful. I am confused as to what channel AS'er's monitor. I was told at one of the International rally's it was "12", but I've never been able to raise anybody there when I meet another AS. I think most are monitoring 19 for traffic, etc. So, maybe I need to try and make contact there and then drop to another channel if their interested in visiting a little. I've never heard about "14" that some have mentioned, so guess I'll give that a try. For what I use it for, I think the CB still has a place.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Can anybody tell me what is tuning the antena(sp) all about?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Use Channel 14 to contact other Airstreamers on the road

The the 49th International Rally in Salem, Oregon
has posted the following information.
If folks are used to using Ch 14 at International then perhaps it makes sense to just use that channel everywhere. If a common channel is adopted, it would be possible to "give a call" to those we pass on the highways.

11. C B “CITIZEN BAND RADIO”
This can be very important. Its use at the International Rally
keeps you informed daily of changing rally news and weather. The
“CB” Rally Base Station is known as “Wally Byam Control”
(Channel 14) and is open for your inquiries or emergency calls.
They, as well as the Amateur Radio Club, assist caravans and
others approaching the rally grounds. For suggestions in purchasing
and installing a CB, ask a unit member. Many have one,
sometimes two, one in the car and one in the RV. When traveling
with others a CB becomes invaluable.
12. AMATEUR RADIO
This is another valuable group who assists in numerous ways
at the rally. If you are a “Ham Operator”, let this group know of your
interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish
We caravan quite a bit and find the CB very useful. I am confused as to what channel AS'er's monitor. I was told at one of the International rally's it was "12", but I've never been able to raise anybody there when I meet another AS. I think most are monitoring 19 for traffic, etc. So, maybe I need to try and make contact there and then drop to another channel if their interested in visiting a little. I've never heard about "14" that some have mentioned, so guess I'll give that a try. For what I use it for, I think the CB still has a place.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Can anybody tell me what is tuning the antena(sp) all about?
Tuning the antenna is matching its impedance at the desired operating frequency to that of the coaxial cable to minimize reflected power.

Typically, you adjust the antenna length on CB channel 19, which is near the center of the band, while monitoring a standing wave ratio (SWR) meter, either external or built-in to the radio. You adjust for minimum SWR while transmitting.

If you operate all over the band, you will want to check channels 1 and 40 to make sure they're low as well, even though they will be higher than that in the center of the band. Preferably, they'll be below 2.0:1.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
If folks are used to using Ch 14 at International then perhaps it makes sense to just use that channel everywhere. If a common channel is adopted, it would be possible to "give a call" to those we pass on the highways.
I have found this to be true in my travels around the country. We have tuned into channel 14 as we passed other Airstreamers and were able to say "hi"!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Hola All

As all know, every vehicle manufactor had an AM/FM/CB audio choice at one time. We also know the after-market folks had CB's for you if you had no factory AM/FM/CB unit already in your vehicle.

The cell phone only makes it possible to reach to the one you already know, home or office when on the Highways and bye-ways of the world. But, CB channel 14 lets you speak to other RV's on the road and CB channel 19 is still widely used everywhere.

If you have an Honda G-Wing SE, you have an OEM AM/FM/Tape Deck/CB on the bike and they teach the club members how to use the CB to ride in an safer manner ( if they are former H-D riders ).

I feel as if I'm speaking to the choir ...

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I still have my Cobra 29 with Telex power mike around here somewhere but it has not been mounted in my last two vehicles. I loved that unit but did now want to clutter up the inside compartment. I've mounted it under the seat and under the front dash in past vehicles but just can't decide where to put it in my '01 2500 hd. I have thought about going to the Cobra Mobile CB unit that Camping World sells but am not sure if it is any better than what I have. It would take up considerably less space than my Cobra 29.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We still use an older Cobra CB mounted vertically on front of console in Excursion for road talk.. In CA and some other states channel 17 is used rather than channel 19 for over-the-road truck and traffic conversation.. It can also work with a handheld CB for parking duties..

For anyone uninterested in installing a box under dash or on console, CObra still makes remote unit ( Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio ) that has speaker and microphone and controls in handheld at end of cord, and entire radio is remote mounted under seat or in trunk/rear area. Costs a little over $100...

We find the trucking language too colorful at times, but it is helpful in bad weather or traffic messes. Never found another Airstream monitoring channel other than 19 or 17, though channel 14 useful at International Rally for Wally Control items... We still find lots of places on the highway where there is NO cell phone service, and that is reason to consider having CB as backup...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote