Old 11-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Cannonball

I still like the scene in "The Cannonball Run" where Roger Moore is talking to the trucker using the CB in his Aston Martin. The trucker is using all the "breaker breaker smoky choke and puke 10-1-whatever lingo" when Moore says "Dear Sir, if we are to converse with this wireless, I'd ask that you please speak in the proper queen's english."

10-4!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #16
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Cb

I put a new unit in my tv while at the factory. First time since the 70s.
Ch 19 is busy and sometime's foul mouthed, but the road condition's is great. Got cought in Chi town traffic jam for three hours, but missed a traffic accident which was in the middle ane due too trucker warning too get in the right lane.
Ch 14 is the official ch but never used it
If you are going too add one, go too a good cb shop. They will tune the ant. and set it up right. The exit 99 cb shop on hwy 75 in Ohio set mine up and it works great. I got a small unit for space, but the bigger units will give more range. Mine is good for about 5 miles and that works for me.

Don

Old 12-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I put one in my B-van before my first rally last summer. I figured I was going to a WBCCI rally, so I'd better have a CB. We didn't use it at the rally at all.

But, just a couple weeks ago, I caught some traffic information from the truckers on it about a jam I was heading into. I heard them talking about it, switched my satellite radio to the traffic station to listen, and picked an alternative route. Probably saved myself an hour or so that night, too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
CBs are still in use

We use CBs on ch 14 while caravanning. The external antenna gives them much better communications with other Airstreamers directly in front or behind than does the little FRS radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Well I tried a search on this topic, no results. SO does anyone use a cb while travelling down the road. Find out where smokey is or the best choke and barf is located? Folks gotta use them on caravans- or are cell phones the new rage. What channels are used etc. Tim
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up Roger that choke n' puke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Haven't heard that term in awhile.

Breaker 1 breaker 1, this is the bandit. Is the snowman out there, am I hittin' you son?

Mercy sakes mercy sakes, you blowing' my windows out. 10-4

I was six years old when my parents took me to see that movie. It's still one of my favorites! ("Smokey and the Bandit")
We have this DVD and watched it last weekend while camping! This was "my movie" when I was a kid!

"Put the evidence in the car, Junior."
"But Daddy.."
"Put the evidence in the car."
(sigh) "Put the evidence in the back."

I put a radio in the truck about 6 months ago, sent it off for peak and tune at DTB radio in PA. Lots of so called CB shops anymore really butcher the radios, but there are still some good shops left. They're still great fun to have, but no one really observes the 10-codes anymore.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
More Smokey

'Gimme a diabolo sandwich and a dr. Pepper, and make it fast, I'm in a *((@@ hurry!"

"you want somethin'?"

"Hushpuppies daddy."

"WE AINT GOT TIME FO DAT CR AP!"

I was really bummed out the day Jackie Gleason died. That guy was hilarious.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice. RIP
Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I am getting real nostalgic here. I have not thought about Buford T. Justice or CB's in a long time. But, I am going to have one when we get our new rig. By the way...the 10 codes are becomming a thing of the past even with the police. I just read an article in our newpaper that said the "police are scrapping the 10 codes for more common language" So that everyone can understand whats being said. SAD TIMES.....
Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
A big fat "4" on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
'Gimme a diabolo sandwich and a dr. Pepper, and make it fast, I'm in a *((@@ hurry!"

"you want somethin'?"

"Hushpuppies daddy."

"WE AINT GOT TIME FO DAT CR AP!"

I was really bummed out the day Jackie Gleason died. That guy was hilarious.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice. RIP
LOL That whole scene absolutely KILLS me every time I watch it!

"Dere is no way... no way... that you could come from my loins. When I get home, I'm gonna punch 'yo momma in the mouth."

Gleason was absolutely brilliant, and for my money, Buford was really as much of a landmark character for him as was Ralph Kramden. How sweeeEEEEeeeet it is!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
We had this (ahem) improper amplifying device in the truck when I was a kid. The 102" stainless whip was mounted on the camper shell, and when you keyed the mike, it put out enough wattage to illuminate the camper shell clearance light mounted next to it.

I actually still have the thing after all these years, but don't need it - my radio can send/receive nearly 10 miles "barefoot" - in a metro area. That's plenty far enough for me!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Just put a TS-2000 radio in, with a screwdriver antenna! Then you will have something to do while you are relaxin' at the campground as well. Use the Garmin or Magellen GPS to find the next restaurant, or gas station.

hint: I work for the company that makes the TS-480.

P.S. It is 73, not 73's
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #25
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
I have been talking about getting a CB for a while but Sandi keeps saying I'm nuts. I would think it would be a must for a caravan or when traveling with a buddy. Cell phone are OK but with more and more states, including CT, with laws against hand held use while driving make a CB more pratical. Plus, a good set-up doesn't look that expensive. Also with so many friends camping with us at any givine time, inside the AS it should make a good neighborhood communications device.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Went on our first caravan this summer. CB is necessary and a lot of fun when traveling. Front door and back door need really good radios. With traffic jams, etc. you can get too far apart to hear good. The work crew always leaves first with 4-5 trailers, you can string out enough to cause reception problems especially in the mountains out west.

Also, communicate morning and evening while camped with the leader giving the daily routine, changes, etc.

Also, use at international rally and our unit rallys.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
If you are going too add one, go too a good cb shop. They will tune the ant. and set it up right.
I am thinking about adding one to my truck. Im not sure what is involved in "tuning" the antenna. Anyone recomend a radio?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I don't take a trip of any length without our Cobra handheld CB sitting in a cup holder, powered by a lighter plug and fed by a magnetic Little Wil antenna instead of the rubber ducky. It's saved us getting caught in traffic jams or by smokeys, got us the best price on diesel, etc. and I rarely transmit on it, mostly just listen.

I don't know where truckers aren't using it anymore, but I've heard plenty of them from Dayton to SLC, to Canada, to the East Coast, and to Florida.