Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
CB Question

Here's a question that I haven't seen discussed before. We are going on a WBCCI caravan this summer and we have been requested to have a CB Radio with a magnetic mount antenna. We have a problem with that, in that the Airstream is aluminum and so is the F-150 - ergo magnetic antenna will fall off!

It has been suggested that we go with a handheld CB radio, but the range on these is very limited. Any suggestions as where we could mount an external antenna (temporarily) to extend the range of the CB Radio?

As always look forward to your ingenious solutions.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Are you saying your F150 roof is alluminum? I didn't know that. To travel the states without a CB is a choice I find foolish uness foul trucker language offends you. You will certainly know why you slow down every time and even get real time weather updates much faster than your trusty iphone.
And yes, you will not like the range of a hand held. I woul'd not spend the money.
It's not hard to tune a CB antenna but the tuner is another $40 or so but what I would do if I were you is hit a truck stop and let them do it for you. You won't regret having a CB over the years, that is for sure.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
There are mirror mount antennas-depending on the type of mirrors you have.

I would get a 'no ground plane' type antenna if you use mirror mount.
We used to lip mount antenna with an NMO mount all the time (for public safety VHF, but CB can use the same mount) (90° plate with 3/4" hole for mount)

Or perhaps some thing like this?

https://www.tessco.com/products/disp...o.do?sku=90866
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I'm always surprised at the lengths some folks go to in order to create a mickey-mouse solution to mounting a CB antenna.

Why not make a professional installation with a permanent mounted antenna, enjoy the benefits and the trouble-free install and be done with it? You think an antenna somehow diminishes the value of your vehicle? Baloney. It increases it just like most other options.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The 3 hand held CB radios I have had were all pretty much totally worthless. I put a permanent stainless steel mount on the truck and we can screw the antenna off for car washes. All of the caravans we went on required a CB and most used it quite a bit. I have never used the CB traveling except when on the caravans.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I got one for a caravan after being told it was recommended equipment for the specific caravan, then we didn't actually use it. Contact your caravan leaders and ask if they plan to actually use the CB. WBCCI publishes a recommended list of equipment for caravans, some of which seems to date to Wally's day. It is possible the leaders just publish that list without editing it for their caravan.

If you decide you need or want a CB, check a ham radio supplier such as Ham Radio Outlet, Amateur Electronic Supply, or DX Engineering, to name a few, or a Radio Shack for a trunk lip mount. One will probably fit on the edge of your truck's hood and can be removed when not in use.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cma-cp-5m

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
It has been suggested that we go with a handheld CB radio, but the range on these is very limited. Any suggestions as where we could mount an external antenna (temporarily) to extend the range of the CB Radio?

As always look forward to your ingenious solutions.
What kind of range are you looking for? If it's just to communicate within the caravan as it goes down the road then a hand held might work. If you think you might get separated from the caravan then you need the cell number of the caravan leader. That's a much better way to communicate since a magnetic antenna is going to get you only a couple miles of range.

My CB has been on the garage shelf for years. I use the Waze app on my smart phone for current road conditions, accidents and traffic. I can't stand all that chatter on the CB anymore. My cell phone has more range, too. Just get the cell number for the leader and others in the caravan.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I second the suggestion to contact the caravan leaders regarding the necessity of the CB. As previously mentioned, this was used "back in the day" and is still a hobby enjoyed by many folks. But when we were on the Southwest Adventure Caravan last year (2016) many people had CB's and it was fun to chat back and forth when in proximity of another caravanner while on the road, but it was basically a useless piece of gear and several of the caravenners who had purchased a CB specifically for the caravan were disappointing that they had spent the money.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
-- snip -- a trunk lip mount. -- snip --
Used one for years on several different vehicles. Well, it was 20 years ago, but ....

Here is a example of how it can be done if you are willing to screw it down.

Travel safe. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBRadioantenna.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	280797  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Having been in trucking bus. for yrs. Having every kind of cb and antennas, now don't even have 1 as cell phones do what is needed. Do not comment as to cell ph. illegal to use while driving as use hands free or stop where safe then use. A driver can lose cdl for using while driving unless emergency. I have 1 with mag antenna for pu that use maybe couple times a yr. I don't like to listen to chatter. I also had lic. when was req. now no longer req. Obtain cell nos. from others as suggested, save your money.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks to all

Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions. we have confirmed with the Caravan leaders that they do use the CB on their Caravan, so it looks like we will be doing some shopping.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Maybe you could pick up a used 8 track player to go with your CB radio as I am sure you will spend more time with it than an CB radio.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Fiberglass antenna

Hey Malcolm, Randy : If you want a good radio recommendation that is solid and not a whole lot of money, try the Uniden PRO510XL
Great little radio, not a lot of crazy knobs on the front of it, channel selector, Volume/on and squelch.
Its reliable too. I found that the best place to get one is Home Depot, online and have it shipped to your local store for pickup for free and it was like $33 ( NEW)
I just checked they still have them, and it looks like they may have a free shipping option to home as well. If you want more features get the Uniden PRO520XL, but for basic radio get the PRO510XL.
The pic that PKI posted up of the fiberglass antenna, two posts back, is excellent, and you can mount it on the lip of the bed of the truck. ( If you don't have a cap)

I run the antenna wire out the rear door bottom and put a magnet mount Little Wil ( wilson) antenna or a K30 magnet mount on the cab, with wire coming up from between the bed and cab out of the way.

I have a diesel and its good with the radio, it doesn't have any spark plugs chattering to mess with radio. Its true, Just ask National Radio Astronomy Observatory, Green Bank W.VA. they only allow diesels on campus.

I think if you get the fiberglass antenna you could have a good setup. Antenna, the mount, cable, you can get at a Flying J, or a Loves, they have all the accessories you need.
$60 -75 bucks (including the radio) you are good to go. I use the cigarette-lighter outlet for the power Then you only drag the radio out when you need it.
Wifee calls it 'silly band', but I like them. I just like radio's.
Or if you want to spend some bucks get a Yaesu, or Icom ham radio, of course you have to your license, I have way too many radios.
Have a good one!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
there are places, especially in place like Alaska-out west etc, that cell service does not exist. At least with a CB someone might be able to hear you to send help. depending on the antenna and radio you can get 4-5 miles of use.

Wbcci uses them for parking info vs cell phones.. its easier to tell every one what is going on with parking than calling everyone on phone.. plus if there is no cell service the CB works just the same.

look at hood type mounts which screw down to flange beside the gap. WHen you get done you can remove the mount and the hole will not be a problem especially in alum.

have fun on caravan..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions. we have confirmed with the Caravan leaders that they do use the CB on their Caravan, so it looks like we will be doing some shopping.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
The little hand-held "Family Band" radios do not need an external antenna to transmit/receive for several miles and provide much more privacy when a particular channel is pre-selected by the caravan. I don't know why caravans don't abandon the CBs for the Family-Band radios. They cost as little as $30 and only take up the room of a hand-held microphone.
Another couple (RoadCessna here at the forums) and ourselves caravan together using them and find them very satisfying. They can double for those who need help with a spotter backing into a campsite.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
they would work for sure if you stayed close together say less than a mile from front to back whereas a cb can transmit and receive for many miles.. more or less. If you have a good system, good antenna, well tuned radio 3-4 miles is not hard.. now through in mountains and all bets are off and they is especially true for GPFM ? or Family radio sets.

I used to talk to guys in NY etc from NC during certain time of the year when the "skip" was running.. if you put a 50 watt plate amplifier on the line you can talk for several 100 miles. I used to hear guy talking when driving OTR out west for hours and finally could figure out where they were being some 200 mile away behind me.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
they would work for sure if you stayed close together say less than a mile from front to back whereas a cb can transmit and receive for many miles.. more or less. If you have a good system, good antenna, well tuned radio 3-4 miles is not hard.. now through in mountains and all bets are off and they is especially true for GPFM ? or Family radio sets.

I used to talk to guys in NY etc from NC during certain time of the year when the "skip" was running.. if you put a 50 watt plate amplifier on the line you can talk for several 100 miles. I used to hear guy talking when driving OTR out west for hours and finally could figure out where they were being some 200 mile away behind me.
That stuff is for the radio-heads and ham operators...not legal for CB actually, and although unlikely to be "caught/enforced" it's not for the casual CB operator. Those guys also are a pain the patootie for those of us who use CB banc for legitimate purposes because they "blast in" and interrupt the channels...which is WHY that type operation is illegal.