Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
Breaker 1-9 You Have A Copy

Remember The C.b?. In All The Trucks Back In The Day? You Know..... Smokey And The Bandit. How Cool Was He?. I Had One For Years And Loved It. Just Think It Was All Free, No Monthly Fee. Then Came Along The Year 2006.under The Law You Can Get Maybe On A Good Day Get 3 Mi. Out Of It. I Know A Trucker Who Can Push 50 Mi.(with Some Heat Under The Seat). But In Todays World Is It Just A Toy To Play With.. Or Talk To Bert Renolds.. For Free.any New C.b. Ers On The Road? 10-4 Good Buddy.
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I haven't used a C.B. since 1997, nor regularly used one since the late 1980's. I have removed the mounting brackets from both the Airstream (yes, it had one in it) and the TV. We now have two way personal radios, and cell phones, along with radar detectors, 6 disc CD changers, GPS units, and a host of other gadgets to occupy our time while travelling.
C.B.'s seem to be getting as rare as Airstreams.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I had CB's on and off for the last 30 years. I just bought a Midland unit at Flying J for $39.95 a few months ago. Receive audio is really crisp and clear for such a cheap unit. Using a Shakespeare fiberglass antenna with a custom "no holes" mount. It mounts the antenna in the opposite spot that my AM/FM is on the drivers side cowl.

I can hear the "Ocala CB Shop" about 12 miles out on I75. Truckers don't seem to talk as much on 19 as they used to back 10 years or so.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
WBCCI comunications

Timetogo,
The cb is a good form of communication, albeit, not near as popular as it once was. Cell phones have just about taken over.
If you are a member or join the WBCCI ( I am a proud member who has participated many years, and taken many caravans with them), it is still a very valuable form of communications during caravans, information during rallies, for summonsing (is that a word?) help during the trip,etc.
I think a lot of the popularity fell away also as the very rude, and crude would use extremely profain language on them as well as using it a forum to express road rage as well. I have one in my TV, my motorhome as well as my toad; but we never use them except during WBCCI functions or while traveling long distances with close friends.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had a CB desktop set up as a pre- High schooler back in the 60s. Used it mainly at night to catch folks from long distances, and to chat with a couple of locals. I collected the QSL Cards from the ong distance ones....I was in NY by the coast, and could often get Texas, Kansas, and other "far away" places. It was a lot of fun for a kid of 14 or so.
Had an Eico with a roof mounted antenna, that was really no big deal, others with single side band amps and such would blow my signal out.

Oh yeah I still have a small pile of those cards I got and a few of my own....what a pack rat I am
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
This is so strange. I was about to post a similar question yesterday, but I got busy and thought "I'll do it tomorrow." I used to be really involved in REACT in the mid 70's and had a cb in my vehichle and house for about 10 years. When I aquired AirBus this fall, there was a really nice unit sitting in front of my left leg. I turned it on and only got static. Well, at least it has a good weather reciever... I guess I'll keep it there for if I ever want to play.

JB
Old 11-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Truckers don't chatter on them as much as they used to, because they now either don't need to check, or have no reason to check, where the local radar traps are. Newer trucks have GPS and tachograph units, as well as the trail the GPS shows speed they travel, and they get in big trouble with their employers if they speed. Also, the speed limits are higher now than they were even 15 years ago, so they can travel at the same speed as they used to, without exceeding speed limits.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Wouldn't be without a CB. On a recent trip, we avoided three traffic jams by listening to the truckers. Not only do they air "bear" reports, they swap road conditions. Of course, they do sometimes (ha) drift off into self expression, using all of the four and up to nine letter words they know. Education?
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I have an older (20 yr) unit in the Burb. Use it all the time.Helps with traffic conditions and "smokey reports". Truckers seem more in control of the language these days.So what are the new rules? limit power or something? Maybe thats why guys always ask me Eeer what's your 20= good buddy?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
QSL Cards

If you were on the air back then you would have thought everyone in the country was talking all at the same time.
I had SSB units in the cars and at home. My wife was a nurse working the 3 to 11 shift. She would call in when she left work to drive the 12 mile home on the dark country roads. No cells back then.
One of my other distractions is collecting postcards. Found this postcard sized QSL card at a show a few years ago. Couldn't pass it up.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QSL 12.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	28963  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Our group who travel together (12 - 15 hotrods) mostly have CB's and as well we all have the two way hand held radios so for the few who don't have a CB they are still part of the chatter on the road. We have cells but only seem to use them when we are out of CB range. The CB's fit in with the nostalgia thing, but also as you note are free to use, cheap to buy, still work great, and there are far fewer people on them now so it's easier to chat. Haven't heard a bad word on the CB for a lot of years.

We find it interesting that as we are sometimes towing down the highway a trucker or other traveller will come onto our channel and comment on the cars and trailers.

One thing we've noticed is that fewer small towns still have signs up as you come in saying "CB Channel 9 monitored for emergency". But we wouldn't be without it.

Barry

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I'm ready for a 'Fox Hunt'
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
That'll be KKD1042 signin' off for now. Going 10-9.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
In my opinion, yes, a CB is necessary, and had one back in the days when you had to have a license. Still have that in the safe, but don't remember the call sign. If you attend WBCCI rallys, it's good to have one in the trailer to pick up daily announcements. They are also used on caravans and on side trips from the rally. We also use them on the highway for non-Airstream trips, and when towing the boat. They're still good for Smokey reports and have saved us from getting caught in hours long traffic back-ups by following the trucks through the back roads.

However, I did NOT wish to have one permanently mounted in our new truck, nor have a CB antenna to deal with at car washes. For that reason, I ordered a handheld CB/WeatherRadio from Cobra, and use it with a Wilson Little Wil magnetic mount antenna. The rubber ducky antennas just plain suck. I reach through the rear window to place or remove the antenna on the truck roof, then run the cable down between the rear of the cab and the bed, and into the bottom of the rear door.

HH 38 WX ST Radio

It comes with a cigarette lighter power adapter, but without batteries. To date, I have not purchased NiMH rechargable batteries for it. It can scan two channels simultaneously, 14 for WBCCI and 19 for the highway.

AC Charger

BNC to SO-239 antenna adapter

Required to connect a CB antenna's PL-259 connector to the BNC antenna connector on a handheld.

Wilson Little Wil antenna

Sold at truck stops and CB radio shops. Highly rated, and performs very well out on the road. Makes a 7' tall truck slightly higher than the airconditioner on an Airstream. Good for testing overhead obstacles.

I have not put a CB antenna on the Airstream as many WBCCI members have. It seems to be popular to mount it on the fin between the airconditioner and refrigerator exhaust, and run the cabling down the latter to inside the trailer. I inherited a nice Cobra fixed unit from my Dad that may wind up in the Airstream.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
THis is interesting I really thought CB radio was dead.

I Goggled CB it is very alive

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have one hooked up in my work shed a alder cobra 2000 if yall know what that is I also have a antenna mounted on rear bumper of my A/S but I havent found the end as of yet.. They are relly good to have on hand but I also got one of the cell phones ...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
I Have The Cobra 2000, With A Chicken Head Mike (mike In On A Stand And You Press The Neck To Key Up). Its To Big For The As.looking For A Cobra 148 With A Little Heat...shhhh Dont Tell Anyone Bout The Heat.
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I also have a cobra 29 LTD Classic with a noise toy in it that plays dixie but I guess you might get into trouble playing it in N.Y.

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
For sure

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I still have the LP of the Smokey and the Bandit soundtrack. Got it when I was six.

how about a big smokey red 22??!!!