Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Question Antenna Mount Questions - need lots of help/ideas

I replaced the radio cable with one that is attached to an antenna (for cell phones, this one). The mounting kits for these don't look very substantial and won't cover the holes left by the old ball mount. They're just like an L bracket with screws, intended for a square trailer roof. Plus I want something that looks more finished.

I like the design of the old ball mount and was wondering if there was a way to cannibalize it?

Or what sort of mounting should I be looking for, that is basically just the hardware? I don't know the first thing about this.

Anyone who has replaced the antenna mounting, what have you done?
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
This antenna and base will mount direct to the old holes. It took forever searching to find this thing....

RV Antenna | HS519L Rooftop/Side Mount RV Antenna | Jensen RV Direct

See this thread also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...y-53414-2.html
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
That 31" whip is a 1/4 wave vertical tuned to very nearly 90.5 mHz. For best operation, a 1/4 wave vertical antenna should be oriented normal (90 degrees) to a nearby conducting surface. I bet this antenna works pretty well, even when mounted on the side of the shell. If reception is poor, bending the mount to put the whip a little more normal to the shell should help. But then you need to worry about vertical versus horizontal polarization of the transmitted FM signal, so maybe a compromise angle between vertical and normal (when parked) will be the best.

Zep
Old 02-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #4

Cool

at antenna that long is not tuned properly to a cell signal that rages from about 800mHz to 1900mHz, the antenna she has will provide the best signal for a cell service, however I think she is just having trouble getting it mounted. Can someone recommend a mounting system for this antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
That 31" whip is a 1/4 wave vertical tuned to very nearly 90.5 mHz. For best operation, a 1/4 wave vertical antenna should be oriented normal (90 degrees) to a nearby conducting surface. I bet this antenna works pretty well, even when mounted on the side of the shell. If reception is poor, bending the mount to put the whip a little more normal to the shell should help. But then you need to worry about vertical versus horizontal polarization of the transmitted FM signal, so maybe a compromise angle between vertical and normal (when parked) will be the best.

Zep
thequonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, cell phone, mount, radio