Old 03-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #57

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Many smart phones can be used as a wifi hotspot and/or USB tether as well.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
Here is an interesting link with lots of pertinent info.....

Communication

Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Hi Phoenix:

OK, here goes again. Let me say first that I am an avid user, and have some significant experience, but I am not a professional expert. These are my experiences only, as they say, your milage may vary.

The Peperwave you mention appears to be a wireless router only, like the Cradlepoint line that I have experience with. It needs an external USB modem, such as the one I have from Verizon. Cradlepoint seems to be the leader in this area, and I can recommend them highly. I have no experience with Peperwave at all. That does not say there is anything wrong with them, but only that I don't know them.

For my use, with the Verizon USB modem that I have, and traveling where I do into remote area of the west, an antenna is highly desirable and in some cases makes the difference between connection to the net and no connection. My old USB 720 has an external antenna input, not all of the new ones do. Remember, this is NOT an antenna for the Peperwave router you mention, it is an antenna for the modem which plugs into it.

I don't know what you mean by a "repeater" unless you mean an antenna connected to an amplifier which then rebroadcasts the signal inside the vehicle, like a TV or Trailer. I have limited experience with that system, but do know they can be tricky, as they either are not strong enough, or are prone to the kind of thing we know as feedback (howl) in audio systems when the interior antenna puts out enough signal to be picked up by the external one, and off it goes. I recently bought one used at Goodwill, and made a quick test to see that it worked, but have no real life on the road experience with it. I could not resist it though, it was $400 new, and I paid $5 for it.

When here in AZ, my winter home, I tend to use between 4 and 6 Mb per month. My high was close to 8Mb. I use my computer a lot, but do not download but limited videos, once in a while from You Tube. Video use eats up bandwidth very quickly and I cannot recommend it from the cell network. With my grandfathered in "unlimited" download system, I can run over the current typical 5 Mb/$50 a month limit some (btw, my unlimited is $60 a month), but they start to slow down usage when I run over 8 Mb. So, it is not truly "unlimited" and at any rate is no longer available from Verizon.

ATT has had a lot of problems with providing enough bandwidth for it's smart phone customers (mostly due to the iPhone contract that they had exclusive rights to, now past). ATT has very poor reputation for service quality and coverage in general (from Consumers Reports information). Sprint has limited coverage in the West especially. As far as I am concerned, although Verizon is not perfect, it works very well in most areas. My Idaho home is one of the exceptions, but then it is so remote that there is no cell service from any carrier. I have a long haul truck driver friend, and he has the same setup in his truck that I have and he tells me he has virtually never been without service, but remember that trucks tend to stay on the main roads. I get Verizon service in most all campgrounds I visit even in relatively remote western Montana. I find few places here in AZ that I don't get service.

3 G store is truly excellent. Good prices, wonderful service, and they do extensive testing of the products they sell. I rarely buy anywhere else.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Spendfolder:

If you add an external antenna to you MyFi you will greatly increase the range of your unit. I was not aware that they now have a version with an external antenna input. That is very good news, as it will simplify life for those who don't want the USB modem and separate router that I have been using. Usually those external antenna inputs are pretty fragile so be careful when you use it or it will not work for long. Remember, you can also use the Wilson Sleek with the MyFi hotspot, and eliminate the fragile antenna input, but still have the external antenna the Sleek comes with.

Phoenix: Upload and download speeds depend on how heavily the specific tower you are connected to is being used. The more voice traffic, the less capacity is left over for data, so it slows down at times. My typical is around 400 to 500 kbps (0.4 to 0.5 Mbps) here in the far Phoenix SE valley. I see 1 to 1.2 Mbps now and then when siting right on top of a tower which has little use. This is for 3G service. I have no experience with 4G other than reading all the problems that folks have been having with it, and most simply lock it off and stay with 3G at this point in time.

Since I don't do much video downloading (due to bandwidth concerns) the 3G cell net service works well enough for my needs. There are times, fewer now, that the old old cell net system is all you can connect to (I forget what it is called, 1x maybe) and it is around 50 kbps, like dial up was in the old days. OK for mail, but that is about all these days.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Many smart phones can be used as a wifi hotspot and/or USB tether as well.
I know this is true, but have no experience with them. I do believe that the amount of data you can download and upload is quite limited though, or some things are not available. For light data users they may work just fine. Someone else might let their experiences be known.

It is very hard to keep up with it all, and what was true a year ago may not be the best thing now. I have a lot of experience with what I have been using, but that does not say it is what will work for every individual, or what is best for them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm going to let it rest for a while. I have to get ready to go to Denver in the morning and will be looking at stuff when I'm there, but need to recover from Information Overload.

I may adopt a 9 year old when there and he or she will understand all this. I have sent an e-mail to Wifi Ranger with many questions and maybe they will educate me. It attaches to the Winegard antenna and sends a signal down the TV coax and I think there's a box that broadcasts to devices in the trailer. There some indication it may work for cell signals too, but I have to confirm that. I also have to see if it works with an iPad as they have many limits. One version has a claimed range of 750 meters and other 1,000 meters. Of course, if there's a big 5th wheel or Class A next to you, it may not work. Right now they are discounted to $250, but other discounts may be available to Facebook users—not us though as we don't want to deal with Facebook. I haven't had any success trying to find them (except for the really cheap one) at other retailers.

When I learn more about the Wifi Ranger, I'll let you know. No one is an expert at this and the companies that sell this stuff do not explain it well. They assume everyone knows what they do and I am unready to get an EE degree; I tried that in college and quickly learned arts and science was more my style.

Now to pack for tomorrow and watch MadMen.

Gene
Old 03-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
I am close to adding broadband service to our Bambi via cellular modem and WiFi. However, each time I am about to order, I find more information and the price goes up. We have had pretty good luck using WiFi outside our relative's homes when we visit; but campground WiFi has been unavailable/unreliable and very disappointing. Cellular modem service is expensive, relatively slow (when one is used to DSL broadband), and plans keep changing with each new iPhone release.

Now, I am about burned out on this subject, too; but I plan to reread it in the next few days to see if I am any closer to deciding how to proceed. I guess I need to win the lottery, have a half-dozen devices installed, put antennas all over the roof, and quit worrying about how much it costs.

It appears I should have bought Verizon and mobile broadband/WiFi device stock about 20 years ago...
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Also, Spenfolder, which MiFi has an external antenna connector?

Thanks,
Phoenix
I have a Verizon MiFi 4G LTE. It's model #4510L. It has a small external antenna port on the side. Apparently, Verizon has a plug in adapter that can connect to an antenna they sell, or another brand. I'm just starting to read up on it.

Stan
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
The Ranger Pro is compatible with the "WiFi hot spot" on the Driod phones...sayeth the company!

( Essentially this technology supplants the air card.) We are charged for our hot spot connection only when used --not on contractual agreements-- and pro rated on daily use only. This connection can be terminated at any time. e.g. when we are traveling and if I only need the connection for 3,4, 5 weeks, then I can activate / terminate the service by 'puter log on.

Next question(s): transmission speeds with hot spots, ease of installation of the Ranger Pro, reliability, etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Easy Tether

I have a Verizon 3 g droid. I downloaded Easytether for $9.95 on both my lap top and my phone. Whenever I want to go online I hook up my phone to the laptop and open up easytether.....voila....I have access to the internet without paying for another data plan....I have unlimited data, I think but I don't download movies or big stuff.....also, I can still use the phone while hooked up to easy tether....I used it all over the country last summer and it worked anywhere I could get Verizon 3 g service and was a lot better than trying to use campground wifi. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Alachua county , Florida
I just found my cell phone in my truck and turned it on, anybody tell me how to answer it? jim
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I wouldn't answer it Jim... Just let it go to voicemail.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #69

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
[on edit, 05.01.2012:

I have made some edits to split out two quite different topics. This thread now stands as a location for mifi discussion.

In-common posts leading up to a major transfer of the WiFi Ranger discussion has been relocated to http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ead-90596.html ]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
3gstore.com just announced the release of the new Wilson Sleek 4G-V Signal Booster for 3G and Verizon 4G LTE - 815126 [700V/800/1900mhz] - Ships on 06/13/2012

http://3Gstore.com/sleek4g