Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Winegard AS-2003 problems

I have the Winegard AS-2003 automatic satellite mounted on my 1976 Sovereign and I use Dish TV. I installed this unit in 2004 and it has worked flawless until just recently. The unit has a GPS connection that locates the satellite's based on the "Dish TV" switches preset in the unit. Under normal conditions the unit searches for the satellites and maps them in memory. If you change channels between one satellite to the other the dish willl move to that satellites position. But now the unit goes through its search mode and appears to find the satellites but locks on to the wrong satellites. I have replaced the LNBF thinking that may be the problem but it still does the same thing. I have tried to connect in 4 different locations with the same results. On the Winegard control panel inside the trailer the Off and Search lights stay on and the trouble shooting section in the manual indicates that this means the unit has failed to see the satellites.

Anyone ever had a similar problem. Could it be the installed GPS? I have talked with Dish and of course they say it is not a problem with Dish. Before I call Winegard I thought I would get your comments.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Burlington , Iowa
adonh -

I ran your situation by our engineers and received this reply...

The first thing is to find the old LNB and put it back on the system if you can. The AS-2003 is tuned to the model LNB that it comes with and using another LNB will actually make it harder for the AS-2003 to determine what is and is not a signal.

If the GPS fails, the AS-2003 will just never enter the search mode and will stay in the travel position.

I would recommend that someone listen very closely to the unit while it searches. Do they hear it ‘Click’ or ‘Pop’ while it searches?

These noises tend to happen when the gears are stripped. Another test for broken gears is to start a search with the coach facing east and see if the system locks on. Then park the coach in the same location facing west and try the search again. If the unit works facing one direction but not the other, the gears are broken.

Also, the unit should spend about 11 minutes searching before you get the On and Off error code. If it takes significantly longer, you might try connecting the AS-2003 directly to a battery for its 12V power. If it takes less time, you may have a circuit board issue.

Andy Crowner
Winegard Company

TV Antenna Selector
Portable Satellite TV Antenna
HDTV Basics Guide
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks Andy. I still have the old LNB, it is the same model number SF2-D3 as the new one that I ordered. The S/N is different. The old S/N is 4F128325S. I will reinstall the old LNB and see what happens. It appears that the GPS is working since the unit does go in to the search mode. I was on a ladder just a few feet away from the unit during a search yesterday and I did not hear any clicking or poping sounds. It seems to run smoothly and operate the same as it has in the past. The search takes about 11 minutes. Currently the unit is locking in on satellite 77. I get a strong green signal. But when I check switch I get the message wrong satellite and unknown devise.

I will tary the old LBM and then let you know what happens.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote