Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
WiFiRanger... the solution to all world problems!

Wahoo... I just installed my new system from WiFiRanger.
This initial post will be a tease for a more comprehansive review....

Unlike the other thread posted here about the WiFiRanger "SKY", my system is different. It is comprised of the external antenna (marketed as the WiFiRanger "Mobile", and the internal device marketed as the "GO".

My system does not use the antenna powered by the Winegard antenna amplifier, it is not mounted up on the batwing, it is powered by "POE" power over ethernet, a single wire for power and data.

I installed all this on an amazingly hot day. Installation of this system did require running a weather (ozone and UV light stable) ethernet cable to the inside of the Airstream. This is a great option for me. I am never a fan of one system doing multiple and different tasks. I see the merit in having the CATV coax power both television and the WiFiRanger, but I see problems there... I just like having 2 separate systems.

Overall I am thrilled with the results. Performance is just amazing... The "Mobile", and "Go" are both packed with real world useful features.
The instructions are short and to the point. Everything was delivered paired and ready to go.

Some funny person at the company included a little bag of candy; In the instructions, you'll come to a point when everything is ready to plug in and power up, you are instructed to enjoy the candy, and sit back and wait for everything to boot, find signals..... I found this a nice touch.... there is nothing fun about waiting while playing with a new toy! It is written "Life is easier when you follow the instructions, have candy, and read the help bubbles" I agree!

My system has been installed and active since just last night. I have finished cleaning up my mess (I opted point of entry through the skin) so all the filings are vacuumed up, lighting re-installed, rivets replaced etc.

This is the first internet ANYTHING I have ever owned that just worked! I had no issues of any kind installing, configuring, or using!

In future additions to this post, I will include many photos, of the installation, and a review of the software etc.

I have to say, this is a darned cool set of components. Using the internet is now a pleasure... everything is clean and fast! (I wish the AIR Forums were this clean now).

If you are seeking a solution to make your mobile internet better, or even usable, this is the ticket!

We are a fulltime family, homeschooling our kids. We depend on internet connectivity, WiFiRanger has made one fewer things for us to have to deal with.

Stay tuned......
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Get those pictures up for us!

I have the SKY and didn't think anything could be better than that. Clean, wireless, easy to install, and simple to operate after you have read the instructions.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1144517

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Question? What is the difference between these two set ups and say a mifi from Verizon that gets you Internet access?

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The SKY is a wireless signal amplifier. Provides private and public channel if wanted. Unlimited access as its wireless. Fully secured with password.
https://www.wifiranger.com/wifiranger-sky

Not familiar with other styles.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Personally, I am not that familliar with any of their products. I need a few days to play with, and tweek. I can tell you this. My entire experience with the company, the product, and the people has been super.

I have a busy day planned, but here are a few quick photos of my set up. I want to make a few installation changes. A few places are not as clean and neat as I would like. This is resolved by a trip to the hardware store.
Eventually I would like to route the cat-5 inside the Winegard antenna supports. Other than that, I'm pleased as punch.

FWIW, I am staying at a park outside of Tampa. The park's WiFi here is pretty good all by itself. I have been able to see other WiFi sources a great distance from here, and I can connect quickly, and use the internet with GREAT reliability!

I have been streaming music from Pandora for most of the morning. I connected for a long time from a distant source with very low qignal quality and strength.... didn't experience any buffering drop outs or loss of connectivity. Like I mentioned above, thins thing is new to me, and I am not that familliar with the embedded software, but so far, my tweekking efforts are workng well.

As far as differences go, I believe the SKY cannot integrate your Aircard, the "Go" does have a USB port which will allow you to connect an air card. Additionally, the "GO" has a POE port which will power the outside mounted "Mobile" antenna.
The "Go" also has several ethernet ports as well.

The photos I have attached show the "Go" router mounted. I use a cabinet for all my communications gear... Internet stuff, Ham Radio, Walkie Talkies, charging stuff etc. Notice I drilled a hole in the skin, and routed the ethernet (cat-5) cable from the ceiling.
The other photos show the "Ranger Mobile" antenna on the antenna support.

More as time goes on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08392.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	164006   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08393.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	164007  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08394.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	164008  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The "Go" and the "Mobile" also add the option of providing a "public" option. I can see this being especially handy in a rally situation. For example, If you are traveling with a friend, and he does not have good internet, he can access a public portion of my network via a password, and have access to the internet through me.... it is secure and separate from my private network, so others cannot see or access my data.

Also this system has "failover" which is user selectable to switch from one source to another automatically..... you'll never know you lost a source and it has implimented another. For example it can switch from RV park wifi, to another wifi source, or RV park wifi to aircard....
It all appears to seamless!
At this moment I do not have an Aircard. I am deciding which one to get......
WiFiRanger has a published list of approved devices. Will advise after I get one and have it integrated into the system.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
So these only amplify an original WIFI source?

What if you are somewhere with no WIFI? How do you connect to the internet?

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

If you have an iPhone and are in 3G/4G range, you can turn it into a mobile hot spot and use other devices that need WiFi. There are other options that are mobile hot-spot specific... if you've got no WiFi or cell service, you can use Xplotnet, HughesNet, or the other satellite-based 2-way internet options... around $50 a month to start. They aren't mobile installation friendly though...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered one today. I have all the Mac toys and have found that even when I'm in a park with "adequate" WiFi I get a pretty crummy signal (all that aluminum definitely diminishes the signal!). Will report back after I do the install. Lots of good suggestions on the AirForums (as usual), and a pretty nifty website with most answers to my ?s.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Great thread. I have been posting about this topic in another thread with some thoughtful responses. The question above is exactly the issue I have been working on. There are TWO things to deal with - WiFi and cellular signal. I have repeatedly posted about my buying research on these and someone says, "just buy the WiFi Ranger" but after reading what it does, it sounds great for coach WiFi routing, WiFi signal gain, etc but it does not answer the cell signal boosting issue. Yes, it allows for hooking up an air card or device like a cell phone to get the cell signal but like the question asked, what if there is no WiFi and your cell signal exists but is weak?

The choice requires an external antenna like the WiFi ranger needs for WiFi but what if one antenna could do both? WiFi and/or cell signal? That is what I have been researching and, looking for advice. Satellite cell is VERY expensive and not a solution for me. I have found an antenna that supposedly will receive both cell and WiFi signals at the 3G store but it is directional- the goal to have one mounting and one antenna to be used for whichever needed at the time. The reps at eh 3G store have told me repeatedly about the SLEEK device, a cell signal booster that could be attached to the external antenna when no WiFi signal could be found. Some forum members have sung its praises too albeit in the earlier model. A new model Sleek 4G/3G is due out this month.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Tim Shepard of TheVAP has a wifi Ranger and other equipment. You might listen to the last few episodes where he talks to the owner of Wifi Ranger and reports on it and his other pieces of equipment.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I don't spend much time in rv parks. Mostly state parks with no wifi. I will have to look into a cell signal booster, for my mifi, and smart phone. Any suggestions?

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I just purchased the direct-connect amplifier and external antenna kit, below:

Maximum Signal :: Cyfre Direct Connect Amplifiers :: Peak Reception "Rockies" Extreme Dual Band Amplifier + Mobile Accessory Kit

I have tested it at home, and it functions properly. However, I haven't had a chance to use it while boondocking to see how much it improves cell phone and MiFi-data reception.

Some of the product reviews indicate that this amplifier is used by storm chasers in the mid-west; and it is supposed to outperform other similar devices, like the Wilson Sleek. Also, it was designed by the same Motorola group that builds cell tower transmission equipment; and it's supposed to transmit with the maximum power legally allowed by the FCC.

After testing this on the road, I plan to post a review of this and the other devices that comprise our mobile broadband setup.

Note: I am just an end-user; and I have no business affiliation with MaximumSignal, Cyfre or Motorola, other than (hopefully) being a satisfied customer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Need help. I'm looking forward to my WiFi Ranger Mobile's arrival. Would appreciate suggestion for running the cable. Looks like going down through the refrigerator vent would make sense. I've got access to power via the circuit in the fridge compartment, but I have no clue what I'll encounter threading a cable through the vent. Has anyone got some helpful suggestions for doing this? And if there's a post in here somewhere, just head me in that direction. Thanks!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Cable routing depends on where you plan to house all of your gear.
I use the cabinet behind (to the rear) of the dinette. I use this as my "Radio Shack" I have my ham, CB, my internet, and other electronics.

This is where I house my WiFiRanger "Go" router. I have a fused 12 volt power supply terminated at a fused, HD terminal block, My WFR Go, is on the wall of the closet suspended with 3M body moulding tape... it is there just short of forever!

My cat 5 cable was a little more difficult, and challenging. For this I removed the Thin lite in the center of the roof, and breached the outer skin by drilling a 5/8" hole. I mounted the "Mobile" on my Winegard antenna mount, zip tied the cable down, then ran the cat 5 to the hole I just drilled.

Here is where the installation gets tricky....

I had to snake the cat 5 bast 2 ribs, one radially, one laterally. I then drilled another hole in the inner skin in the cabinet.

After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get everything fished, and connected. It was not easy, but the overall installation is very clean.

I had to pop a few of the rivets off to get past the ribs, and catching the other end of the ethernet cable was tedious!

It sounds like you are just going with the "Mobile" this is basically the same deal. I have a 34 footer, so that would be a long wire sitting on the roof, not sure what you have. I have run coax down the fridge vent for other applications, but those antennas are within literal inches of the vent, therefore no cable laying on the roof.

Where are you planing to install the WFR POE? You can run the cat 5 behind the upper roof lockers. There is a little ridge that will hold the ethernet just fine.
If you need more photos, feel free to ask!

I chose the most difficult route, but it is clean and invisible.
Just make sure your cat 5 can rotate and flex as the antenna moves and rotates.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:

Good Point. That is why I have been trying to find a partial all-in-one solution. I think the WiFi Ranger has a lot going for it for those in WiFi situations. So, the advice given to me on the other end, the cellular signal, is to use a more powerful antenna with a SLEEK device and an air card. Apparently some have found the SLEEK to be one of the best "boosters" out there overall. Some here on this forum have even proclaimed how they tried other types of amps, etc and ended up with a SLEEK as a permanent solution. The major factor is the antenna. I have been told that there are at least two antennas available that will receive both WiFi and Cellular frequency signals. If that is true, then one of those and a low-loss coax at as short a distance as possible should at least complete part of the solution. The rest varies but I cringe at drilling and bringing cables in to the coach.

I got an email recently that explained how I must have missed the fact that WiFi Ranger allows for hooking up an air card. Nope didn't miss it. That is great that it hooks up but the signal to the card must also be boosted at times - the cell signal - which is not addressed. Otherwise the package is fantastic.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The "Go" I installed, does in fact have the provosion to add an aircard. The device does boost the WiFi signal, nut not sure about boosting the cellular signal. I am expecting my air card in the next day or so, so, I'l l post more of my findings then!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Installed my Ranger. Easy setup. One minor issue....if your network name has an apostrophe in its name, it won't work. Great help from their on all. Service guy!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB
... Looks like going down through the refrigerator vent would make sense. I've got access to power via the circuit in the fridge compartment, but I have no clue what I'll encounter threading a cable through the vent. Has anyone got some helpful suggestions for doing this? And if there's a post in here somewhere, just head me in that direction. Thanks!
This project has caught my attention as something I may look into also. As for the fridge vent, this is what I found when I mounted a small solar panel on the A/C cover to power some exhaust fans and gained access by removing the fridge vent cover on the roof. Use a plastic putty knife to remove the sealant covering the pop rivets on each end of the cover. Then drill out the pop rivets. Mine were 3/16" so by using a 3/16 drill I was able to remove the rivets without enlarging the holes. Once the cover was removed, I found some 1/4" hail screen covering the opening to keep out the bigger bugs. This was attached with 1/8" pop rivets. Now you are looking down into a cavity and see the top of the fridge. There is about an inch or so gap on either side of the fridge and the factory had installed some rubber weatherstripping down each side a few inches forward from the back side of the fridge. If you drop your coax or cat5 down from the top you should then be able to work the cable over to the gap on the side away from the burner and secure it to the cabinet wall so that it won't contact anything on the back of the fridge. You can the snip out a small section of the hail screen where you cable comes in and use some black tape to prevent chaffing and reattach. When you remount the cover, be sure to use sealant around the holes before assembling then cover the new rivets and edges with sealant to prevent any leaks.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I ran the cable down the vent pipe ... Around 12".... Drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the vent, fished the wire, pulled it. Got the 12v from the light inside the wardrobe/storage locker. (this works in a 28' 2012 Intl). I then closed up the small space around the fished wire so I wouldn't vent sewer gas inside the trailer.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21