Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Cable routing depends on where you plan to house all of your gear.
I use the cabinet behind (to the rear) of the dinette. I use this as my "Radio Shack" I have my ham, CB, my internet, and other electronics.

This is where I house my WiFiRanger "Go" router. I have a fused 12 volt power supply terminated at a fused, HD terminal block, My WFR Go, is on the wall of the closet suspended with 3M body moulding tape... it is there just short of forever!

My cat 5 cable was a little more difficult, and challenging. For this I removed the Thin lite in the center of the roof, and breached the outer skin by drilling a 5/8" hole. I mounted the "Mobile" on my Winegard antenna mount, zip tied the cable down, then ran the cat 5 to the hole I just drilled.

Here is where the installation gets tricky....

I had to snake the cat 5 bast 2 ribs, one radially, one laterally. I then drilled another hole in the inner skin in the cabinet.

After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get everything fished, and connected. It was not easy, but the overall installation is very clean.

I had to pop a few of the rivets off to get past the ribs, and catching the other end of the ethernet cable was tedious!

It sounds like you are just going with the "Mobile" this is basically the same deal. I have a 34 footer, so that would be a long wire sitting on the roof, not sure what you have. I have run coax down the fridge vent for other applications, but those antennas are within literal inches of the vent, therefore no cable laying on the roof.

Where are you planing to install the WFR POE? You can run the cat 5 behind the upper roof lockers. There is a little ridge that will hold the ethernet just fine.
If you need more photos, feel free to ask!

I chose the most difficult route, but it is clean and invisible.
Just make sure your cat 5 can rotate and flex as the antenna moves and rotates.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
So these only amplify an original WIFI source?

What if you are somewhere with no WIFI? How do you connect to the internet?
Good Point. That is why I have been trying to find a partial all-in-one solution. I think the WiFi Ranger has a lot going for it for those in WiFi situations. So, the advice given to me on the other end, the cellular signal, is to use a more powerful antenna with a SLEEK device and an air card. Apparently some have found the SLEEK to be one of the best "boosters" out there overall. Some here on this forum have even proclaimed how they tried other types of amps, etc and ended up with a SLEEK as a permanent solution. The major factor is the antenna. I have been told that there are at least two antennas available that will receive both WiFi and Cellular frequency signals. If that is true, then one of those and a low-loss coax at as short a distance as possible should at least complete part of the solution. The rest varies but I cringe at drilling and bringing cables in to the coach.

I got an email recently that explained how I must have missed the fact that WiFi Ranger allows for hooking up an air card. Nope didn't miss it. That is great that it hooks up but the signal to the card must also be boosted at times - the cell signal - which is not addressed. Otherwise the package is fantastic.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The "Go" I installed, does in fact have the provosion to add an aircard. The device does boost the WiFi signal, nut not sure about boosting the cellular signal. I am expecting my air card in the next day or so, so, I'l l post more of my findings then!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Installed my Ranger. Easy setup. One minor issue....if your network name has an apostrophe in its name, it won't work. Great help from their on all. Service guy!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB
... Looks like going down through the refrigerator vent would make sense. I've got access to power via the circuit in the fridge compartment, but I have no clue what I'll encounter threading a cable through the vent. Has anyone got some helpful suggestions for doing this? And if there's a post in here somewhere, just head me in that direction. Thanks!
This project has caught my attention as something I may look into also. As for the fridge vent, this is what I found when I mounted a small solar panel on the A/C cover to power some exhaust fans and gained access by removing the fridge vent cover on the roof. Use a plastic putty knife to remove the sealant covering the pop rivets on each end of the cover. Then drill out the pop rivets. Mine were 3/16" so by using a 3/16 drill I was able to remove the rivets without enlarging the holes. Once the cover was removed, I found some 1/4" hail screen covering the opening to keep out the bigger bugs. This was attached with 1/8" pop rivets. Now you are looking down into a cavity and see the top of the fridge. There is about an inch or so gap on either side of the fridge and the factory had installed some rubber weatherstripping down each side a few inches forward from the back side of the fridge. If you drop your coax or cat5 down from the top you should then be able to work the cable over to the gap on the side away from the burner and secure it to the cabinet wall so that it won't contact anything on the back of the fridge. You can the snip out a small section of the hail screen where you cable comes in and use some black tape to prevent chaffing and reattach. When you remount the cover, be sure to use sealant around the holes before assembling then cover the new rivets and edges with sealant to prevent any leaks.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ran the cable down the vent pipe ... Around 12".... Drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the vent, fished the wire, pulled it. Got the 12v from the light inside the wardrobe/storage locker. (this works in a 28' 2012 Intl). I then closed up the small space around the fished wire so I wouldn't vent sewer gas inside the trailer.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Help question... I have a WiFi Ranger Sky and I am currently in a campground that has excellent wifi, so really don't need it. However, I'm using it simply to test the system, and for some reason, although I can connect my laptop to the Sky's network, I can't get internet service through it nor can I get the control panel to come up.

Ironically, I do not have this problem with my iPad.

?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
On the top of your screen is the site destination bar, www.etc, and there is a drop down arrow there. Click on that and select the SKY and the SKY control panel will show if you are signed into the SKY.

Otherwise, try shutting it off and wait up to 90 seconds for it to reboot.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
Help question... I have a WiFi Ranger Sky and I am currently in a campground that has excellent wifi, so really don't need it. However, I'm using it simply to test the system, and for some reason, although I can connect my laptop to the Sky's network, I can't get internet service through it nor can I get the control panel to come up.

Ironically, I do not have this problem with my iPad.

?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Dave, I think you are referring to the status bar at the top with the wifi signal? If I click on the wifi signal, it shows my available networks and that I am connected to Private.wifiranger. However, I cannot get any webpages to load, nor can I get the control panel to show. I appreciate any thoughts you may have. To avoid derailing this thread, I will create a new post.

Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ml#post1197539

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
LL2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
my install 2010 23FB

Here is my Wifi Ranger Mobile install on my 2010 FC 23FB

I used this 21mm hole saw from Amazon to cut the hole in my trailer available here (see link below) and chamfered the holes to remove any burrs that would compromise the seal.

Amazon.com: 21mm drill bit

I used the IP67 rated bulkhead connectors shown below and can be sourced at

CAT5 RJ45 Waterproof Connector IP67 weatherproof outdoor ethernet

I sealed around the hole using the Airstream approved sealant SIKAFLEX in white and I used the 3M barrier tape around the connector to add layer of protection at the break between the bulkhead and the upper shell.

Along with adhesive heat shrink stepped down to add a seal to the cable a little further up and provide a little strain relief. I think this is a great solution instead of the 5/8 hole and cork method presented with the WiFi Ranger Kit. Probably not cost effective but cheaper than a leak!

I cut and crimped the RJ5 connectors and snaked the wire down to a suitable opening in my cabinet and grometted the wire to prevent chafing and into my "electronics shelf" where i attached the POE to the wall using command strips.

Booted up the ranger and all worked great! I see about 40 Wi-Fi stations in my area. My phone and computers see three. I think this is a great solution for those of us that travel for work in our RV's and I wish I had this unit this summer when I was doing the bulk of my travel.

I head south next month and cannot wait to see how well it works. I took it over to Seattle and was camping on a lakeside and could see and connect to a marina across the lake. I am sold on the WiFi Ranger Mobile!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	175935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	175936  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg