Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
This is a great thread. Thanks everyone. I have to agree with rodsterinfl, don't confuse wifi with cellular service. for example if you are in a park that supplies wifi, then you need a wifi antenna. If you are booney camping and have a mobile hot spot, you need a cellular antenna. Right?
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
JEFE Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Here are some pics of my setup with the new antennaAttachment 209798Attachment 209799
Have ordred the RV kit for WiFi from JAFE Tech and expect it within a few days. I plan to install the antenna as you have. Just wondered if possible to run the coax cable down the same channel that the TV cable runs and then into the upper right hand locker close to a 12v power connection to power the transmitter. In my Safari, I think that this would be the best routing if the WiFi antenna cable. Any issues raising the TV antenna with the additional WiFi connected to it?

Thanks for your time.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This thread gets more interesting all the time!

Thanks

Doug
Old 06-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
WiFi Signal amplifier

Received the JAFE tech RV kit. Very nice setup. Have been working on making a mount for the antenna and were to locate it. Took a short section of thick wall square tube aluminum with a 1 inch ID and machined off 1 side and then machined the inside of the aluminum to ensure a snug fit since the ID is a little smaller. Took the supplied mount and trimmed the ends off, then centered it on the aluminum C channel and riveted them together. Also used a rattle can and painted it. Attached the WiFi antenna to the TV antenna support and located the final location. Will carefully drill a single hole through the mount and TV antenna support and bolt it in place using ni-lock nut so it won't vibrate loose. Install of cable will be done in the next couple of days. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402097888.147634.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	213655Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402097915.283631.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	601.1 KB
ID:	213656
Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #85
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Do you mean JEFA Tech in Maryland?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #86
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I noticed that you got the larger antenna, why? Do you know the range difference between the two?

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
This is a great thread. Thanks everyone. I have to agree with rodsterinfl, don't confuse wifi with cellular service. for example if you are in a park that supplies wifi, then you need a wifi antenna. If you are booney camping and have a mobile hot spot, you need a cellular antenna. Right?

That's exactly right.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Have ordred the RV kit for WiFi from JAFE Tech and expect it within a few days. I plan to install the antenna as you have. Just wondered if possible to run the coax cable down the same channel that the TV cable runs and then into the upper right hand locker close to a 12v power connection to power the transmitter. In my Safari, I think that this would be the best routing if the WiFi antenna cable. Any issues raising the TV antenna with the additional WiFi connected to it?

Thanks for your time.

Depending on your layout and watertight sealing considerations it may be possible. I found it easier to run the coax along the antenna mast and over to the fridge vent. I then mounted the router in the closet adjacent to the fridge. Topside I used 3/8 black tubing to protect the coax and secured all with black zip ties. I've had no issues with mounting it on the end of the antenna mast and no noticeable added effort to crank it up. Antenna is very light in weight. Just have to survey site more closely to verify tree branches won't interfere with added height.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Neat bracket-what an advantage to be a metalworker. Something you, tsunami, and I will have to monitor with these types of antennas is the vibration and damage to the base. When I talked to one of the guys at Wifi ranger about antennas and why they went with the small dome instead of the marine style on the RV kit, they told me that it was all about vibration and antenna endurance, that they tested different antennas and had issues. I kept my antenna mount lower on the winegard and added of all things a lock-tie near the edge. We will see. Seems that a marine mount with all that jarring on a boat would be just as hard on an antenna but hey, I did not test them. Looks good.

@Castaway. Yes, I upgraded my antenna. I went from a 3db to a 12/14db (cannot remember which it is offhand). I have not been out yet since mounting in April to test it. I can say that in the storage garage I was able to see two additional networks compared to before.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I think they may have also been taking into consideration wind speed with an antenna permanently mounted vertically. A boat at best travels at 1/3 the possible speed of an RV. In our case, we fold it down for travel, but still have to consider the bouncing effect.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Makes sense.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Do you mean JEFA Tech in Maryland?

Yes, that is correct. Transposed a couple of the letters in the name. Sorry. It is JEFA Tech.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Neat bracket-what an advantage to be a metalworker. Something you, tsunami, and I will have to monitor with these types of antennas is the vibration and damage to the base. When I talked to one of the guys at Wifi ranger about antennas and why they went with the small dome instead of the marine style on the RV kit, they told me that it was all about vibration and antenna endurance, that they tested different antennas and had issues. I kept my antenna mount lower on the winegard and added of all things a lock-tie near the edge. We will see. Seems that a marine mount with all that jarring on a boat would be just as hard on an antenna but hey, I did not test them. Looks good.

@Castaway. Yes, I upgraded my antenna. I went from a 3db to a 12/14db (cannot remember which it is offhand). I have not been out yet since mounting in April to test it. I can say that in the storage garage I was able to see two additional networks compared to before.
Went for the shorter antenna (2 foot length with 8.5db gain) over the longer antenna (5 foot length with 15db). Did think that I'd really need to reach out over any taller RV's or trees. Took the vibration into consideration. Installed two small clear blubber bumpers on the antenna storage rest to absorbe the shock while underway. I also installed one-sided sticky thin rubber material in the bracket that come in contact with the TV antenna support tube (thought about using plasti-Dip). Decided to not bolt the mount to the antenna support tube, just picked up a 1/4 X 2 clevis pin this morning and think that will work better in case it have to remove the WiFi antenna. Next up, getting the coaxial cable run.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Energized the WiFiRanger 2 for the first time today in a RV park in Santa Fe. I created a private encrypted network below the unit and it works well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Test fit for location. Held by zip-ties. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402317020.769004.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	576.6 KB
ID:	213894
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

A couple of questions for those who have installed Wifi Ranger units. In looking at the specs on the Sky vs Mobile TI vs Marine - it looks like the Mobile Ti and Marine units have better antennas than the Sky with 3 dBi and 8.5 dBi respectively.

In fact it looks to me that the Marine unit is exactly the same as the Mobile Ti except they replaced the antenna with the 8.5 dBi antenna from Jefa Tech ( JEFA Tech: 8.5dBi 2.4GHz Outdoor Omni Antenna ). Since the Marine unit cost $150 more, and the Jefa antenna only $50 - it seems like a better deal to buy the Ti unit and replace the antenna with the Jefa antenna - so 1st question - is my analysis correct?

2nd question - I have 2 Airstreams - since I can only be in one at a time it would be great to "move" the Mobile Ti unit from one trailer to the other (rather then spend another $500). I assume I can mount the Mobile Ti unit inside my trailer with a Coax cable going out to the roof and the Jefa antenna mounted on my TV antenna? Is that correct?

Last question - assuming I mount the Mobile Ti inside the trailer - what does the Go unit add? I assume the Ti unit creates it's own Wifi Hotspot. I do know the Go unit adds Ethernet capacity - which I don't really need.

When I posted the last question directly to the Wifi Ranger folks, here was their reply: "With the Go and Mobile/Sky combo, you are able to configure the system to make the Go the internal local network that your devices connect too (including LAN devices), and the Sky/Mobile then becomes the external antenna which its sole job is to just connect to networks. Rather than do both the local network and the connecting which can cause for some slight lag compared to having the Pack. So in total, the Go becomes the master, and the Mobile/Sky become the slave. Each are given their own roles and are able to work more effectively together.

To answer your original question, the Go adds LAN ports for multiple devices, and makes for a better local area connection that your devices can connect too within your coach. While the Mobile stays outside the RV and connects to networks with internet sending that to the Go to distribute out amongst your devices."

That makes it sound like the Sky's (and I assume the Ti unit) processor is somewhat underpowered to handle both the external Wifi signal processing and the internal Wifi hotspot processing. I guess to make a long question short - have those that only installed the Sky unit or the Mobile Ti (ie; no Go unit) noticed the delay that the Wifi Ranger folks mention?

Rasjad
rasjad is offline   Reply With Quote