Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
 
Dorr , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna girl View Post
Thanks so much for your posts. What I was really hoping is that I could use my Roku to stream movies, documentaries but it looks like it's dependent of the strength of the campground's signal. Wolverine...it sounds like even with the Wifi ranger...it not really possible. We talked with people at AT&T and Verizon and although we can get service from them, streaming videos can be very expensive. And of course the problem is getting a strong signal from those cell towers to stream.

An option to watch shows and movies you have dvds for is a media player. Basically it gives you a netflix/roku presentation of dvds you have ripped onto an external harddrive. It stinks because you have to want to only watch what you have on the harddrive but it at least eliminates the need to pack the scrap. You can fit hundreds of movies on a large drive. Just an idea
__________________

__________________
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
 
lcurrie's Avatar
 
2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 401
Images: 1
Check on that card plan, I bet you can move it to a different device like a phone. My understanding is that the cards are attached to a line, which is essentially a phone number in their system.

Lynn
__________________

__________________
Lynn
---
Austin, Texas
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Crazycuda...excellent idea. We were just talking about downloading movies but worried about filling up our hard drives. My husband suggested using iTunes..we need to check it out to see if they rent movies that can be downloaded.

Lynn...I will check this out but from what I understand, if you make ANY changes to the plan, you lose the grandfathered unlimited data. But maybe moving it to a phone might work.

Well, I am organizing all the STUFF for our maiden voyage. It's like planning for a 1 bedroom apt. I have scoured this site and put together a list of what to get. I plan to come up with a list to share for all the newbies.

Any words of advice for this first trip...one thing you wish you knew about that you found out on your first adventure? 11 more days until we pick our AS up and take off!

Thanks to all for your help.
__________________
Anna girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
 
Dorr , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 30
Anna what you could also do is check out movies from your local library. Sounds crazy to most people but they do have lots of new movies you can check out for free. The wife of a coworkers of mine works at a library and they never buy.movies because the library have so many
__________________
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Crazyduda...another great idea. I didn't think of that because we use Netflix. Honestly, we don't watch that many movies but we do use internet TV. There are lots of historical youtubes, etc. In fact, we're thinking of dropping our regular cable because there are so few shows that we watch. Just thought it might be nice to have that option to watch a movie.

Back to packing!
__________________
Anna girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member
 
Zigidachs's Avatar
 
2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 297
Images: 1
Has anyone tried to amplify their cell phone "hot spot" ( e.g. 3G or 4G ) to receive WiFi instead of trying to capture available WiFi signals which are increasingly more "unavailable" unless in a CG...the equipment for amplification of the Hot Spot seems less costly and easier to install / utilize....( as noted this morning on the RV Travel.com..."Great RV http://www.rvtravel.com/---q=great-r...letter-issue20 Newsletter")

(We have had some difficulty with cell phone reception inside the AS in areas with a low signal...thus problems with the computer connection using the hot spot)

Thanks to all for your comments....Zigi
__________________
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 408
If you have an android or BB , you can get pdaNet or FoxFi and use the phones unlimited data plan (Sprint has this) for your internt use either as tethered or as wi-fi. You get try the app for free and if it works on your phone, buy it for a one-time fee of $15.
__________________
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 408
Zigidats, I use the Wilson signal amp along with my Android phone and the Fox-Fi. I set the antenae on my trucks roof and the phone inside on the dash. It is pretty good in most places. The phones wi-fi signal is pretty strong.
__________________
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
 
Zigidachs's Avatar
 
2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 297
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Zigidats, I use the Wilson signal amp along with my Android phone and the Fox-Fi. I set the antenae on my trucks roof and the phone inside on the dash. It is pretty good in most places. The phones wi-fi signal is pretty strong.
How applicable is this setup inside the AS? I am trying to avoid cabling into the unit from the roof, etc, yet be able to access a strong enough WiFi signal via the iPhone hot spot to run the computer.....
__________________
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
jdalrymple's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,602
Devices that "boost" cellular reception are "bi-directional amplifiers".

There are multiple radio frequencies involved when a phone is exchanging voice or data with a tower.

The uplink or signal headed from the phone to tower and downlink, the steam headed for the tower to the phone.

An area of poor cell tower coverage, inside an Airsteam for example, can be improved by BDA.

This device catches the radio waves outside the trailer with an outdoor antenna, boosts them, and sends them to an inside antenna. The inside antenna catches the signal sent from the phone or air card, and does the same on the way out.

I installed one in our trailer via the refrigerator vent. It helps with both voice calls on our phones and data on our USB stick.

Here is a link.

Dual-Band (800/1900 MHz) Mobile Wireless | Store | Wilson Electronics


This has helped us several times.

Sprint would be great, if they had more coverage. They are quite lacking in my area. I guess that is why they are less expensive and have unlimited plans.

Regards,

JD
__________________
Jeff & Cindy
'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member
 
Zigidachs's Avatar
 
2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 297
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Devices that "boost" cellular reception are "bi-directional amplifiers".

There are multiple radio frequencies involved when a phone is exchanging voice or data with a tower.

The uplink or signal headed from the phone to tower and downlink, the steam headed for the tower to the phone.

An area of poor cell tower coverage, inside an Airsteam for example, can be improved by BDA.

This device catches the radio waves outside the trailer with an outdoor antenna, boosts them, and sends them to an inside antenna. The inside antenna catches the signal sent from the phone or air card, and does the same on the way out.

I installed one in our trailer via the refrigerator vent. It helps with both voice calls on our phones and data on our USB stick.

Here is a link.

Dual-Band (800/1900 MHz) Mobile Wireless | Store | Wilson Electronics


This has helped us several times.

Sprint would be great, if they had more coverage. They are quite lacking in my area. I guess that is why they are less expensive and have unlimited plans.

Regards,

JD
Thank you...great info...but why did you choose a BDA for the cell phone hot spot instead of a WiFi amp....? What are the differences in frequencies, lambda, modulation, and signal strengths if one can compare the two....forgive my ignorance. I have a strong science background, but I still require help in comprehension... .....thank you...
__________________
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
jdalrymple's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Has anyone tried to amplify their cell phone "hot spot" ( e.g. 3G or 4G ) to receive WiFi instead of trying to capture available WiFi signals which are increasingly more "unavailable" unless in a CG...the equipment for amplification of the Hot Spot seems less costly and easier to install / utilize....( as noted this morning on the RV Travel.com..."Great RV http://www.rvtravel.com/---q=great-r...letter-issue20 Newsletter")

(We have had some difficulty with cell phone reception inside the AS in areas with a low signal...thus problems with the computer connection using the hot spot)

Thanks to all for your comments....Zigi

My post about BDAs was in response to this post.

The wifi-ranger sky is what I use to boost weak park supplied wifi inside the trailer.

The BDA boosts coverage for the phones and cellular data stick. Remember, the phone or mifi uses cellular freqs to get data from the tower, not wifi.


In other words, a smart phone with tethering sends and receives data from the tower on cellular (which is boosted by the BDA) and shares this connection with a laptop or tablet via the wifi radio in the phone.


Regards,


JD
__________________
Jeff & Cindy
'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post

How applicable is this setup inside the AS? I am trying to avoid cabling into the unit from the roof, etc, yet be able to access a strong enough WiFi signal via the iPhone hot spot to run the computer.....
The hot spot from the truck to inside the AS is more than adequate. I do agree about Sprint, however. They don't have the best coverage. That said, roaming is free also and we find that adequate for surfing and email.
__________________
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 821
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 4
We use a Pepwave router with a USB stick from Millenicom. Our Millenicom plan runs is served by the Verizon 3G network. We have 20GB per month service and have never come close to hitting the limit even with video downloads to two laptops as well as surfing the net, uploading photos and videos, and downloading hundreds of emails. Millenicom bills us monthly and we can cancel at any time with no penalty. We can also temporarily suspend service.

Reception has never been an issue. We stick the Pepwave to the rear pano window when we are in a campground and use the Internet without worrying about the campground service which is usually slower than the Millenicom service. On the highway we plug the Pepwave into a 12 volt outlet and have a hot spot in the truck as we are going down the highway. We use an iPad or laptop connected to the hotspot while in the truck. This frees up our phones for receiving or making calls.

I considered the Wifi Ranger, and Wifi Ranger Sky products. I decided campground wifi service is usually poor so simply magnifying the signal when the bandwidth is probably inadequate will not greatly improve speed or throughput. I also wanted a solution I could use at campsites with no wifi service and I didn't want to deal with running wires to the outside of the trailer. We camp frequently in state parks with no wifi service. In addition I wanted a hotspot in the truck when on the road. The Pepwave combined with the Millenicom service has been ideal for us.
__________________

__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.