Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Aston , Pennsylvania
Wifi Repeater Feeding Traditional Router

OK, I should start by saying I'm an engineer and have lots of gadgets. I'm prepping my EB 27FB for a yearlong trip where I'll be doing work remotely. The goal is to keep my Apple Airport Time Capsule broadcasting my current SSID that all my devices connect to. I don't want to have to re-configure every device if I change from my mifi to a campground wifi signal.

I was going to get the following and use in repeater mode: Securifi Almond

In repeater mode, it would re-broadcast the signal it's getting, which I could care less about. I was going to take the cat5 cable connection from it and plug it in as the internet connection to my existing router. The Almond has a touchscreen, so going from the mifi to a new campground wifi would be pretty easy (no need to dig out laptop and connect to router and change settings) and all of my devices in the trailer wouldn't know the difference (always connected to the Apple router).

I'm not sure if anyone does anything similar and/or if campground wifi sites allow people to connect a repeater.

Anyone see a flaw in this plan?
BASE729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Over complicated perhaps. Most folks don't have a lot of luck with campground wifi in general. It usually terrible and over loaded. Last campground we where at that offered it, it was literally a router in the office window. Most campgrounds have zero concept of the real infrastructure needed to provide reliable wifi.

If you want to connect using Wifi as WAN I'd suggest looking at Pepwave, Cradlepoint or Wifi- Ranger (although this last one is over priced IMO)

BTW, I hope you understand that the Almond is not truly secure. It's features are basic at best. WPA2 which is decent and a preconfigured firewall is not the same as say using a VPN to ensure all your data is encrypted both ways. It has all the same security features your Apple Time Capsule has.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
I have been using something similar to your proposal for several years with good success. You may want to tinker with your settings when you relocate to keep your router on a different channel from the campground.

I have found that my repeater does a better job of maintaining a constant connection than any / all of my individual devices. Also I am only using up one of the fixed number of concurrent sessions provided by the campground set-up, which at my summer place is roughly equivalent to the number of campsites but far less than the total number of devices used by other campers - so fewer dropped connections all around.

Another suggestion: use a generic name (e.g. Belkin) for your router so as not to scare the other denizens of the network. Trust me on this.
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Base if you need a reliable connection to the internet in order to work then counting on campground wifi as the only way to connect will be disappointing at best. Investigate getting a mobile hotspot. Verizon is the choice of many full timers since they seem to have the best coverage. You can use your phone as the access point but some phone brands won't allow simultaneous data and voice.

You can also get a Ubiquiti Bullet and antenna and make your own booster connecting into the time capsule. You would get a better signal but still at the mercy of the campground system.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote