Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #161
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We spend 5 nights at a CG with good wifi (except bandwidth sometimes during heavy use), so I didn't bother with it. I can play with it at home anyway except for the cable issue. I want to find out whether it interferes with cable, but can do that another time at a CG. I may be at a CG with cable in a month, but maybe not. By that time WFR may have a 3rd kit that solves all questions about cable, on/off and such. I can wait.

I keep it off and hope to remember whether it is on or off until that problem is solved.

It is obvious it boosts available wifi signals and maybe that is mainly what I need. I don't know whether it puts us at the head of the line with bandwidth—that's for electronic experts to inform me about. I can see how it could because you'd have a stronger signal that is less likely to be interrupted.

David, thanks for the info about disabling the public wifi option and I'll try to remember how when I have enough interest to play with it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #162
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
WiFiRanger 5.6.1rc1 firmware will be out this week

Hey fellow Airstreamers,

We are releasing a new firmware, backward compatible with all WiFiRangers this next week.

email support@wifiranger.com if you are interested in getting in the beta release. Our BASE group (early adopters) have had a few versions of it for a few weeks, and it has some great new features, but still is a bit rough around the edges. If you like to see what is coming, and are not afraid of the bleeding edge, let us know and we'll get you in the rc1 release group.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #163
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Geeesss ---- we own an Airstream RV and don't need too many MORE new challenges. Let us know when the the final version with no bugs is released.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiRanger View Post
Hey fellow Airstreamers,

We are releasing a new firmware, backward compatible with all WiFiRangers this next week.

email support@wifiranger.com if you are interested in getting in the beta release. Our BASE group (early adopters) have had a few versions of it for a few weeks, and it has some great new features, but still is a bit rough around the edges. If you like to see what is coming, and are not afraid of the bleeding edge, let us know and we'll get you in the rc1 release group.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #164
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
WiFiRanger 5.6.2rc2 Shipping, and upto 30% Discounts Until Friday

All,

The "Independence Day" sale is up and running at the WiFiRanger Store until Friday. Up to 30% Discount on products. The best deal for an Airstreamer with no 3G Modem is the "Mobile Package" and for those that need an indoor USB modem, or more than one LAN port the "RV Package."

Questions, let us know...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Have it on right now at a campground! Working great. We were having some issues getting signal from the campground in our trailer - it was working but would be really slow. WifiRanger has it going well. This is only the second time we've gotten to actually use the device so I'm happy.

Booted right up, too - I had the control panel in a minute or so. The trick for me is turning on the TV antenna first so that the connection doesn't short out when I turn on the Ranger.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #166
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
LaPorte , Indiana
Issues with connectivity

I'm having continual issues with connectivity using the Wifiranger Go2. The connection is dropped regularly, sometimes several times a day, but at least once a day, and it takes more than an hour to get it up and going again. I've tried troubleshooting, such as changing the failover to an hour, turning the failover off and on, changing the Multi-WAN mode to Load balance. I understand that it's the wifi itself that is causing the ranger to disconnect, but I don't understand why the wifi card in a laptop keeps connected full time and the ranger does not. If anyone has any more suggestions to try to keep connected, and the explanation as to why the continual droppage, I'd really appreciate it. This thing was crazy expensive for it not to work reliably!
Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Give them a call in Idaho. They have been very helpful to me.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #168
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Limited
Boise , Idaho
Hey Schu,

We're sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing.

You're addressing the right topic by tweaking Failover settings, as that commonly would cause brief disconnects when the WiFiRanger is trying to initiate a connection to a WiFi Network. However, since you're still not seeing stability even after changing Failover around, please contact our support team at questions@wifiranger.com or 208-321-5544 x2 to get additional help.

We should be able to verify your configuration to ensure nothing else is out of place.
Aluminum03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #169
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
How difficult is it to run the cable from the roof to the inside of a 2016 Flying Cloud FB 25 Twin and hook it up? And I mean for a person brand new to rv'ing I.e. Me. I've got decent handyman skills but know zero about cutting holes in a roof or electrical matters. We have two iPads and two iPhones and we'd like to improve RV park wifi signal while sitting inside the all metal airstream.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #170
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
When I mistakenly bought the WiFi Ranger several years ago, it used the existing wiring for the TV antenna. You had to install a switch and some stuff behind the antenna plate and connect the wires. I took ours down a couple of years ago and made it disappear. It was a beta model and the software never worked well and the switching system was unworkable.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #171
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I agree with Gene!
The gen 1 WFR firmware was horrid at best! I cannot understand how the company survived. It was the ultimate science experiment!

Using the same equipment (Go and external Mobile) the system now works flawlessly. I use it every day. It works as hoped, and keeps me connected 24/7.
This company stuck with it despite bad growing pains. It is very expensive, but with all updates, is a much depended on piece if gear for us!
Gone is the Winegard powered module thingies, it wires to the Airstream 12v bus, or via wal wart, or cigarette lighter.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I still use one of the gen 1 WFRs. We got ours when they offered a huge discount to AIR Forums members.

It works fine with the newest firmware updates, but I still have to be sure that I turn the antenna booster on before hitting the WFR switch (the antenna booster, when off, connects the signal cable to ground, which blows the WFR fuse). I don't fully trust the unit, but I haven't really had any issues with it either in the last couple years. It did lose all my settings at one point during an upgrade, but that was at least a year ago.

I still sort of wish I'd just gotten an old WRT54G and installed dd-wrt on it. I did exactly that recently to provide internet service for a show I help to run, and it worked beautifully (only the people working the show could use it, so it wasn't heavily loaded). However, that solution would've been a lot harder too, for mounting an antenna outside somewhere, running the wires, and the software isn't geared toward what the WFR is trying to do, so the user interface wouldn't have been as nice, either.

This reminds me, I should check the status of the zip tie...it's been up there 3 or 4 years now...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #173
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ha that's funny, I just renewed all my zip ties just last night!
I need to replace my nylon nuts too, they're beginning to rust and foul the aluminum WFR bracket....
You using the sky?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #174
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm glad I got the big discount too so I didn't waste as much money. We pretty much solved our problem with Verizon's Jet Pack, but that costs even more.

Gene

Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #175
2 Rivet Member

2011 International 684
Koeln , NRW
Hi,

I have posted a lengthy article on making Internet available in an Airstream here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...64734583648307

Harry
Harry911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #176
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Forest , Illinois
Wondering if anyone has any advice... we've owned a wifi ranger Skypro unit for 2 years... never worked consistently. So far Wifi Ranger have replaced the Skypro board (could not enable WFR Control when first delivered), reflashed (apparently software issue) original core and then recently replaced the core unit (original/reflased would stop broadcasting it's wifi signal). After the refresh and last replacement of the core everything worked really well for about 1 day. I am now finding neither the core nor the Skypro unit will consistently connect and remain connected to multiple campsite wifi signals despite the fact that my MacBook, iPad and iPhone - if connected to the exact same wifi remains connected all day without issue. Checked multiple settings on request from Wifi Ranger and all seems to be set up okay. Are the electronics truely this fragile or am I expecting too much? Any suggestions as to alternatives. Looking for advice as truely truely frustrated. I am in touch again with Wifi Ranger support. Thanks.
kjbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #177
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Makes me wonder if that company ever quite gets it right. Wifi is so much more available or you can often get it with your phone as a hotspot that I’m not sure a booster is necessary anymore. It was not so when I started this thread.