Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #61
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Wi Fi Ranger: Can you provide more detail please on the "work around" for the Sky and the booster setting ( "green light") which interferes with cable TV reception? e.g. cost, installation, location, etc..... If you can provide me with that info, I " am on board"! Thank you....Zigi
Sure,

The "work-around" is the result of the initial batch of WiFiRanger Skys going out. We found that there are more varieties of power connections inside the coach for the powered Sensar than Elvis's in Las Vegas. Some were direct connects, providing lots of current, and some had current limiting circuits, some wer just poorly wired. It seems that a lot of coaches have a lot of different ways of hooking up that antenna.

In the situation where the connection had some current limiting circuits, we found that the Sky would not power up properly when in-line with the amp. As such, it didn't work reliably. The issue was current. Some of the a connection power supplies only provided 350ma of power, and the combined of the Sky and amp is about 750ma.

So we built an injector that goes in-line and allows more current to pass up the wire allowing both to work. It's included in every Sky now as standard so you have one if you need one. It does require a few more minutes to install, and a screwdriver, but its straight forward and doable by most.

The only other issue is whether you can watch park cable, and surf with the Sky powered, at the same time. Some coaches isolate properly the cable feed from the OTA feed, and will work without issue. However if your coach relies on the OTA amp to be OFF in order to watch cable, (doesn't disconnect the RF feed) then you *may* have issues if there is an OTA channel on the same channel of the cable. This is rare, especially since everything went to digital, but could happen. If that is the case, a multi feed switch (about $15) will solve the issue completely. We dont include that in the kit, because it is a bit rare.

Hope this helps clear up things.

Still leaning on sales for a "AIRSTREAM" deal this weekend. I'll post tomorrow by end of day the results...
WiFiRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
And TB isn't a disease anymore. Damn names and acronyms change too often.

Vaguely connected to nomenclature, the very young guy I talked to at WFR had never heard of kilocycles or megacycles. He didn't know Hertz was a guy and he didn't rent cars. He did know about the WFR products though. I guess he didn't know "applications" used to be "programs", but we didn't get that far.

Gene
Had to be Brian. Whipper Snapper that I often explain things too with glossy looks in his eyes. The other day I was explaining what a "Library" was in he thought it had books in it instead of code. When I mentioned violating Moores law, he got concerned about the police.

But, he does know the WFR product, and will always honestly answer whether it will do or not do what people want, so depend on truth from him.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiRanger View Post
The only other issue is whether you can watch park cable, and surf with the Sky powered, at the same time. Some coaches isolate properly the cable feed from the OTA feed, and will work without issue. However if your coach relies on the OTA amp to be OFF in order to watch cable, (doesn't disconnect the RF feed) then you *may* have issues if there is an OTA channel on the same channel of the cable. This is rare, especially since everything went to digital, but could happen. If that is the case, a multi feed switch (about $15) will solve the issue completely. We dont include that in the kit, because it is a bit rare.

Still leaning on sales for a "AIRSTREAM" deal this weekend. I'll post tomorrow by end of day the results...
That is the stopper for a lot of people. I believe in all newer Airstreams the TV antenna booster has to be off for cable to work regardless of whether there is an over the air channel or not. So, all or most of all of us following this thread may need the multifeed switch. But maybe I don't understand your explanation. I realize there are as many ways of doing the TV antenna as there are brands of RV's, so trying to explain this to everybody must drive you crazy.

Perhaps you have (or had) an older Airstream which had a different setup. In ours a coaxial cable comes out of the wall—probably comes from roof antenna and it attached to a wall plate a few inches away which as a 12 v. receptacle, a coaxial cable connection, a button for the TV antenna booster and a green light. Perhaps an "injector" it attached here; perhaps it would work. That is what I am confused about, though I will probably be confused about something else next. After that plate, I can't see the wires because they are behind the wall and the fridge area has enough stuff I can't see. About a foot to the right of this a bunch of cables come out of the wall and they are the sound from the radio sound system and a coaxial cable which attaches to the TV. This wall plate looks like a standard RV unit, though I understand different RV's may be wired differently.

I don't know if this tells you anything, Kelly, about what we need, but I'm hoping we are getting closer.

Brian seems single minded about the product. He does well on the phone with a guy 3 1/2 times his age who asks more questions that most people. He's an asset.

Eagerly awaiting Airstream sales news so I can run it past the treasurer/wife.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
I agree, Gene.
We have a newer AS, and the OTA switch must be off to watch cable TV. ( as we discussed before)
So we would need the multi feed switch to be able to watch cable TV and Surf with the computer.
Question now is "how" to install, and were exactly?

"Ranger" is really intelligent....I appreciate his information.....Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post

"Ranger" is really intelligent....I appreciate his information.....Zigi
He is the guy who invented it. He posts on other websites also as WFR. I found them and him by Googling.

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
POPPEDRIVET Coupon

I convinced Sales to activate a $100 off coupon for Airstream owners. The code is POPPEDRIVET and you enter it during check out for the $100 off. It will be valid for about 5 days I think. I'll let others inform friends and co-streamers as I don't want to get in any trouble on the forum.

This will take you right to the cart.

https://www.wifiranger.com/store/pro...products_id=47
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
That is the stopper for a lot of people. I believe in all newer Airstreams the TV antenna booster has to be off for cable to work regardless of whether there is an over the air channel or not. So, all or most of all of us following this thread may need the multifeed switch. But maybe I don't understand your explanation. I realize there are as many ways of doing the TV antenna as there are brands of RV's, so trying to explain this to everybody must drive you crazy.

Perhaps you have (or had) an older Airstream which had a different setup. In ours a coaxial cable comes out of the wall—probably comes from roof antenna and it attached to a wall plate a few inches away which as a 12 v. receptacle, a coaxial cable connection, a button for the TV antenna booster and a green light. Perhaps an "injector" it attached here; perhaps it would work. That is what I am confused about, though I will probably be confused about something else next. After that plate, I can't see the wires because they are behind the wall and the fridge area has enough stuff I can't see. About a foot to the right of this a bunch of cables come out of the wall and they are the sound from the radio sound system and a coaxial cable which attaches to the TV. This wall plate looks like a standard RV unit, though I understand different RV's may be wired differently.

I don't know if this tells you anything, Kelly, about what we need, but I'm hoping we are getting closer.

Brian seems single minded about the product. He does well on the phone with a guy 3 1/2 times his age who asks more questions that most people. He's an asset.

Eagerly awaiting Airstream sales news so I can run it past the treasurer/wife.

Gene
I have an 03 International. The original plate is as described above, but I added the Sensar Pro recently to insure compatibility. My other TV is up front, and I run the Sky's booster while on Cable and most of the time it works great. The only issue I have run into is where the cable channels in the park overlap with the OTA channels. For that I put in a multi-switch to solve the problem. However, most parks channel there cable sysytemt away from the OTA channels to avoid this problem. Suffice it to say that Park owners/managers get as many questions about the cable system as they do the WiFi system, and anything they can do to avoid issues, they do.

I need to do an install video of my setup for people. It will help answer the questions and show the final solution. I'll get Evan to follow me out to the warehouse and shoot some video.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Kelly, thanks for the discount. My wife has approved the purchase.

The Sensar Pro looks cool, but not sure why I need it. I like the read outs but I can fiddle with the antenna and should get better reception now that I have a Wingman for digital.

So do I need the work around kit now that you know what I have? Any time I have forgotten to turn off the TV antenna booster cable reception is bad so far as I remember. I could be wrong, but every place we visit usually has their cable channels clustered down at the low end.

Do you install the Sensar Pro for compatibility between 2 TV's or the WFR and the TV? I am thinking of putting a 2nd TV in the bedroom and thought I could just use the coax connection on the wall there without a problem.

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I convinced Sales to activate a $100 off coupon for Airstream owners. The code is POPPEDRIVET and you enter it during check out for the $100 off. It will be valid for about 5 days I think. I'll let others inform friends and co-streamers as I don't want to get in any trouble on the forum.

This will take you right to the cart.

https://www.wifiranger.com/store/pro...products_id=47
That's an incredible coupon, thanks. I just ordered one.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Kelly, thanks for the discount. My wife has approved the purchase.

The Sensar Pro looks cool, but not sure why I need it. I like the read outs but I can fiddle with the antenna and should get better reception now that I have a Wingman for digital.

So do I need the work around kit now that you know what I have? Any time I have forgotten to turn off the TV antenna booster cable reception is bad so far as I remember. I could be wrong, but every place we visit usually has their cable channels clustered down at the low end.

Do you install the Sensar Pro for compatibility between 2 TV's or the WFR and the TV? I am thinking of putting a 2nd TV in the bedroom and thought I could just use the coax connection on the wall there without a problem.

Gene

I wouldn't invest in the Sensar Pro indoor unit if you have a recent TV. Most allow you to see the signal strength as part of their setup. However, I get paid to make things work on all kinds of things, so I installed it to see how it worked with the Sky. (It didn't, and I had to build the injector for that reason....)

You will receive everything you need to make the Sky work. The only thing you might need is that switch to cut the RF off when the Sky is on. Actually, you can do it by just disconnecting the ANT feed with the injector on the ANT end, and that will solve the cable/OTA problem, but it's a pain. The switch makes it a simple "turn the Sensar to ON, and the switch to CABLE, and everything works.

With the deal that is on the sebsite, you might just want to put your "extra" WiFIRanger at home. With Fusion Networking coming out, you will be able to access your DVR, TiVo, Roku, etc, all while on the road.. Kinda fun to do.

I'll be putting up a video next week showing our Airstream at a park with a WFR Sky, WiFiRanger Pro, WFR Boost, and the OEM mounting plate. (Yea, the demo trailer has every thing WiFiRanger makes....) and demoing the new 5.6.1 firmware shoing some pretty fun stuff for people on the road.

More later. Its "Cab Time" as my wife says....
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just ordered. Now dinner time.

Gene
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Kelly,

I'm going to buy too, and thanks for the discount. However, I'm trying to understand what the difference is between the Sky/WFR package and the "Ultimate RV Package" using the WFR Boost Mobile...

I just traded in my "old" Airstream for a new 2012 Flying Cloud, so everything I have should be as updated as possible. I need to be able to work from the road using WiFi (when available) and my cellular 4G LTE connection (I do have Mobile Hotspot through my phone with unlimited data).

I will routinely need to connect with more than one device (iPad, laptop, etc.) at one time.

Can you guide me?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I may be a little late in responding but I had to jump in with regards to our Verizon-issued Samsung 3G/4G hotspot. We've had great results with it. We were just in Joshua Tree National Park for 4 nights...nothing there, as ecpected...not even cell...but then when we moved to River Island State Park (AZ) on the Lower Colorado River for a couple more nights before heading home, where we have NEVER been able to get anything...no TV...no Cell...no nuttin'....I was able to get a 3G connection.It wasn't the best, but it was good enough for email and some browsing. We were quite surprised. And we have even gotten 4G connections when not too far from Phx metro in a few of the regional parks... We are pleased with it so far, considering we dont' use a booster or external antenna or anything extra.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Kelly, will the Go have the ability to have an antenna to pick up signal for my various USB modems and such?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
Kelly,

I'm going to buy too, and thanks for the discount. However, I'm trying to understand what the difference is between the Sky/WFR package and the "Ultimate RV Package" using the WFR Boost Mobile...

I just traded in my "old" Airstream for a new 2012 Flying Cloud, so everything I have should be as updated as possible. I need to be able to work from the road using WiFi (when available) and my cellular 4G LTE connection (I do have Mobile Hotspot through my phone with unlimited data).

I will routinely need to connect with more than one device (iPad, laptop, etc.) at one time.

Can you guide me?

Thanks!
Congrats on the new Aluminum. Very Nice. I was in Elkhart last year drooling over the new models, trying to convince the company that a cool 80K would be worth it for the trade shows. Didn't fly.... We're still in the "old" 2003 International...

OK, the WFR Boost "ultimate" mobile package requires a wire from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit. This sometimes is a real PIA to do, especially on newer coaches/towables. The WFR Sky/WFR Pro will accomplish the same thing, but without any wires, IF you have a powered Sensar crank up antenna. Functionally, they will both pull in Park WiFi anywhere, and if you have a "hotspot device" 3/4G unit, can connect to that when no WiFi exists.

If I was saving $, doing it again, I'd get the Batwing Sky and mount it on my batwing (sensar OTA antenna) and use my "hotspot" feature on my droid phone to allow the Sky to connect to if no WiFi existed. That seems like the easiest install without anymore holes or wires.

However, the SKy version with POE requires a wire, and connection to 12Vdc, but gives the added feature of a LAN port in the coach for devices that dont have wireless.

The Sky/WFR Pro combo is a good deal with the POPPEDRIVET coupon but is not required for most travelers. Nearly everything has wireless, and coupling one with a HotSpot 3/4G phone gives you maximum flexibility. So in that case I'd just get the Sky if you dont need the internal router, or want to use it at home for Fusion Connections. (Yea, the coupon works for that scenario as well....)
Old 04-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #76
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

The Sky/WFR Pro combo is a good deal with the POPPEDRIVET coupon but is not required for most travelers. Nearly everything has wireless, and coupling one with a HotSpot 3/4G phone gives you maximum flexibility. So in that case I'd just get the Sky if you dont need the internal router, or want to use it at home for Fusion Connections. (Yea, the coupon works for that scenario as well....)
Exactly. The link in the post takes you to the Sky + internal router (which can be used at home too I suppose if you need wifi boost there), but if you go to the WFR website home page and eventually get to "products" you can find the Sky alone for $250 (rounded) and with the coupon get it for $150. That's what I did. Great deal.

Considering all the questions we've had, these may be the hardest sales the company has had.

Gene
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Yes, GREAT deal and I'm very appreciative. I ordered mine this morning...
Old 04-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Thanks for the info, Ranger. I still need reassurance that I ( my co-pilot) can watch cable TV whilst I surf with the Sky. I know all too well that the OTA switch has to be off for the cable connection to work properly. The "booster" switch in our 30' Classic is located inside a shelf space of the floor furniture to the right of the sofa facing the rear of the unit. I don't know what I need to do to install the multi feed switch, and how exactly does it operate? Thanks again for all your assistance. This is a very interesting learning experience. Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Considering all the questions we've had, these may be the hardest sales the company has had.
I intend to take pictures when I install it, as well as using my laptop to show signal strength readings with it on, without it on, range outside the camper, etc. Hopefully that will make up for us asking so many questions.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Kelly, since you have an Airstream demonstrator, maybe you should sign up for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta to show off your products. I don't know there is any free wifi anyone could get there even with a super booster, but maybe you could show more people your products and have a nice time too. I don't know how a vendor is welcomed, but at least one other (an RV tech) is a regular. There were only 5 spaces left a few days ago, but more may come up. If interested, PM me and I can give you more info on who to contact.

Gene