Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I learned this from azflycaster (Richard)—raise antenna, turn antenna 90˚ over edge of trailer, lower antenna—then it will be much easier to reach.
Good idea, thanks! I'm hoping to have the help of a fellow Airstreamer or two to hold the ladder, too.

Quote:
Doesn't the Retrofit kit also isolate the power to the roof from the cable connection?
I'm not sure how it works... I didn't have a chance to investigate the retrofit closely. I didn't think we'd need it because we don't even have a TV in the camper, but after I ordered I realized it may be needed because the Sky might not have enough power to operate without it, so I'm glad they included it!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #102
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Got my WiFiRanger and Sky kit late today complete except for the Industrial Zip-Tie strap.

Very nicly packaged too! with extra detail.

Will get at the install tomorrow if it does not rain.

Now the question is, is this legal to use. I see that they lay charges in Michigan for using someone elses signal.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...tml#post398674

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042620121101.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	157250  
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #103
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Receiving a signal and using it are two different things. Anybody within range of a transmitter would be a criminal if just receiving it was a crime.

The signal isn't free even if open if the deal is that you buy something in the store or cafe in exchange for using it. However, if the store or cafe doesn't clearly state you have to be a customer, I don't know how the law could be enforced. Of course, you'd have to check each state's law.

I think someone who does this every day is more likely to attract attention.

I've been in campgrounds where an open signal from a business next door was stronger than the campground's. It was after the business was closed. Guess which I used.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Got my Sky installed. Seems to work well. I got it connected to my home wifi from out in the yard in just a few minutes.

I was unable to see my indoor airport from inside the trailer, but the Sky saw it and connected in a few minutes. It did take a couple re-tries that seemed to be an issue with the WPA-2 password. But, it did connect and stabilize in a minute or two.

I did see a bit of a slow down as compared to a direct connection between my iPad and airport router, but that was expected. The result is still quite usable.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
It's official! I am up and running using my new WiFi Sky! I am writing this post from a campground about 40 miles from my home...

Works perfectly, no retrofit required. I have to give HUGE kudos to WiFiRanger for such a simple install. Took me about 10 minutes, and the first 5 were getting the ladder set up.

The tip to rotate the antenna 90 degrees and lower it was a big help.

I am connecting to the WiFi hotspot on my phone right now (through the WiFi Sky) since the park has no internet. I realize I could do this directly, but Verizon is so limiting on data transmission (with my unlimited plan, no less!) that I can only get so much benefit from using the phone.

HOOOORAY!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #106
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I have my SKY up and running also. Had some problem with one laptop not retaining the connecting????? The other laptop seems OK as the day ended.
Not really able to grade it on better reception at this point. I will try to get a better test on it over the next few weeks.

What might be a problem on the Clipper is the WineGard antenna is located beside the front ac unit with the solar panel on top. I suspect I will have to raise the antenna to get a clear shot at any signal in that direction. That means having to remember to put the dang antenna down before motoring off.

Dave
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Got ours on yesterday. Works great. I did need the retrofit kit; the Sky wouldn't let us log in until I did the retrofit. I'll post more later.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #108
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
WiFi Sky

Looks like we got this product just in time. It now appears to be sold by
WiFiRanger Sky from MITO Corporation Excellence in Electronics for Auto, Car, Truck, SUV, RV and Boats exclusively according to their web site.

I am having some problems with my SKY in that I have only been able to use it with the WineGard antenna disconnected at the roof. Still working on it to try to determine what is happening?

The SKY works great on stand alone.

Dave
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Okay, Wi-Fi seems to work fine using the Sky, however... I am now having problems with the televisions not seeming to receive adequate signal. I assume this is because I need to connect the booster or retrofit kit. However, when I tried to connect the retrofit kit, I opened up the wall panel and found a little more complicated receptacle than I had anticipated.

I'm assuming this is because I have two televisions? Will the retrofit kit still work? It doesn't seem to fit the wall plate correctly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3608104285.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	157251  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Masseyfarm, you probably need the retrofit kit, too. In my case, the Sky wouldn't boot or wouldn't let me connect until I installed that kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
Okay, Wi-Fi seems to work fine using the Sky, however... I am now having problems with the televisions not seeming to receive adequate signal. I assume this is because I need to connect the booster or retrofit kit. However, when I tried to connect the retrofit kit, I opened up the wall panel and found a little more complicated receptacle than I had anticipated.

I'm assuming this is because I have two televisions? Will the retrofit kit still work? It doesn't seem to fit the wall plate correctly.
This is exactly the setup I have. I haven't tried the TV, but to hook up the retrofit kit: The power wire is the wire going between the two cables (in mine it was purple I think). The antenna cable is marked on yours - I had to guess which it was on mine.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #111
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
How complicated can it be?????????? I have been working on it for 3 days and still don't have it running like it should.

WineGard have "amplified and non amplified" antenna, so first one has to determing what you have. Thats where I am now.
Wall Plates and Wall Plate Power Supplies - Winegard

The SKY works with the retrofit as long as my Winegard antenna is not hooked up also. Blows fuse when antenna is attached.
Still working on it!!!!!!

Dave

Quote:

Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater
Masseyfarm, you probably need the retrofit kit, too. In my case, the Sky wouldn't boot or wouldn't let me connect until I installed that kit.

This is exactly the setup I have. I haven't tried the TV, but to hook up the retrofit kit: The power wire is the wire going between the two cables (in mine it was purple I think). The antenna cable is marked on yours - I had to guess which it was on mine.
Skater, thanks.... Did you remove the circuit board and just leave it hanging? Or did you need to modify the wall plate? The red button will not fit throught the hole where the old power button is; the plate that holds the circuit board blocks it. I'm probably making this too complicated.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #113
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I drilled a hole in the plate for the new switch.

Dave

Quote:
Skater, thanks.... Did you remove the circuit board and just leave it hanging? Or did you need to modify the wall plate? The red button will not fit throught the hole where the old power button is; the plate that holds the circuit board blocks it. I'm probably making this too complicated.
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks!
No, you still want the circuit board, because it does a couple things, including powering the 12 volt connector that's there.

I'll try to get a picture when I get back to working on mine (I need to clean up some things, like mounting the switch), but:

1. Disconnect the 12 volt connector between the two cables. (I did this in the wrong order and blew the fuse...sigh.)
2. Disconnect the antenna cable (right side in your picture - it looks like it's marked on yours...very convenient!).
3. Connect one of the spade connectors to the board where you removed the power in step 1.
4. Attach the coax retrofit piece to the board, then the antenna wire to it.
5. Attach the other space connector on the retrofit to the wire you removed in step 1.

That should do it, basically. I had to angle the coax connection a certain way to get it back in the hole in the skin of the camper, but your skin's hole might be larger and this might not be an issue for you. As masseyfarm said you'll also want to drill a new hole for the switch in the plate - because of the small size of my interior skin hole, I'm not sure if this will be enough for me.

One gripe - the retrofit push-button switch is not obvious whether it's on or off. And it's not immediately apparent what's happening since the Sky takes a minute to boot.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #115
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Hibby,

As far as the button goes, keep in mind that you can pull the red button off and then drill a small hole in the plastic wall plate. The attached image shows the nut, lock washer, and cover washer that come off after you take the red button off. Once you have a hole in the wall plate, you can put the switch in from the back of the wall plate and then tighten it up using the washers and nut. Skater gave great directions on putting the Retrofit kit in. Follow those and you'll be able to power the Sky and amplify the Batwing simultaneously, which should take care of the low TV signal issue.

Dave,

I know that we include 1.5A mini fuses with the Retrofit, but perhaps a 3A mini fuse is called for in some cases. Getting a 3A one may prove to work for both the Sky and Batwing simultaneously.

Skater,

I'll see what we can do for the Retrofit2 kit that we're working on to get an indication of power on there. Do you think a switch that simply stays depressed when ON would be acceptable?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF8133.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	157252  
WiFiRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #116
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiRanger View Post

Skater,

I'll see what we can do for the Retrofit2 kit that we're working on to get an indication of power on there. Do you think a switch that simply stays depressed when ON would be acceptable?
Or one that lights up when on. That is easier to remember and more noticeable. In our trailer the TV covers most of that area and reaching the wall plate for the antenna is a stretch, so making it more visible is a help.

I am assuming I will need to install the retrofit kit and hope to get to it soon so I can test it when we take the trailer out in 3 weeks.

Gene
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Yes! You guys are amazing! I'd send you all flowers if I could. Based on my testing it seems as though everything is working perfectly.

Originally, I misunderstood the fact that both buttons would still exist on the wall plate.

It is my understanding that the Wi-Fi sky and the Batwing will both have power if I depress the original amplifier switch. However, if I don't need digital television signal, I will need to press the red switch to power the Wi-Fi sky only. Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2430908059.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	157253  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiRanger View Post
I know that we include 1.5A mini fuses with the Retrofit, but perhaps a 3A mini fuse is called for in some cases. Getting a 3A one may prove to work for both the Sky and Batwing simultaneously.
Mine was a 2 amp fuse. I know this because I blew it. (I found another one at Radio Shack.)

Quote:
Yes, that would work. The problem with a lighted switch - which would be nice - is that it's another wire floating around. This isn't a huge problem, so I wouldn't spend a bunch of money fixing it. It's really only an issue when you're first installing it and not sure whether the Sky is working or not.

Quote:
It is my understanding that the Wi-Fi sky and the Batwing will both have power if I depress the original amplifier switch. However, if I don't need digital television signal, I will need to press the red switch to power the Wi-Fi sky only. Is this correct?
I think the button will power both now, and the switch is basically useless now, unless it powers something else on the circuit board.

Note, I asked the mods to separate this discussion into a new thread about the Sky...that's probably better for everyone.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #119
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Note, I asked the mods to separate this discussion into a new thread about the Sky...that's probably better for everyone.
I just got the message about the split and noticed I started the thread. I forgot that.

Thanks to those who are installing this so the rest of us can understand what to do.

Gene
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thanks to those who are installing this so the rest of us can understand what to do.
I still intend to write up some other observations I made while doing it, but I did it during a rally we were hosting, and so I haven't had much time. Then last night, instead of doing the chores we SHOULD have done at home, we instead decided to go hang out with some of the friends from the rally that were camping nearby.

Actually I think most of my observations are already covered. I do want to get back in there and clean up some things and mount the switch though. My switch is mounted in a little cubby under the counter where a TV would go if we had one, so it's harder to work on.