Old 06-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #155
The RVers Internet Choice
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKelleys View Post
I have a 34 Classic and the problem I am dealing with at the last 3 parks ( for the last 3 weeks) is being able to use the WiFi. The signals show up on my airport and are full signals or just 1 bar off. But when I try to use the internet then my browser tells me there is no connectivity. Right now,as I type, I have a full signal and the speeds are great. I am currently outside of the AS. Being inside of the AS is more of a challenge to connect. I have read many threads that the metal of the AS causes the signal to "bounce around". Will the WiFi Ranger help me to get a stronger signal inside the AS or are my problems with the CG Bandwidth? I want reliable Internet , but don't want to spend money on something that won't correct my specific issue. Does the Ranger enhance the signal strength on the Interior?
Keep in mind that there are two different versions of Skys. One is the "BatWing Powered" version that most are referring to in this thread. It has the advantage of leaching power from your amp'd OTA antenna, eliminating the need to run yet another wire. However, there are plenty of people that run a wire just fine to the new WFR, and actually use a Sky/Boost outside, or a normal WFR inside to have the best of both worlds. If you have a Classic AS, and have the original Antenna Mast up front, check out this thread that the blogger of TheVAP did with there install.

1960 Airstream Ambassador Project! » Blog Archive » The WifiRanger

He's got a lot o other good AS info there as well, so worth a read.

Also, to kinda clear the air on the RetroFit kit. Some people don't need them at all, depending upon their era of Winegard antenna. Also, the number of people that actually experience interference from the amp on while on Cable, is very small as well. It requires that the cable channel be on the same as OTA channel, and most parks put there cable channels away from the OTA signals. Thats why we offer it free if needed, and currently only 15% of the Skys shipped have required it. Also keep in mind that a lot of people just don't use OTA anymore. Nearly every park has cable, so they just disconnect the OTA input from the TV side of the circuit, and use the Winegard as a great crank up for their WiFi. If they are boondocking and want the OTA, the hook up the RG6 again and can use it.

We've been finishing the Fusion Edition of our firmware, so we haven't posted a video of late, but I expect to do an install video this week sowing the whole setup, including the Wingard Sensar Pro on our AS.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #156
Looking for Adventure

2007 34' Classic
Social Circle , Georgia
Thanks for the reply WiFi Ranger.

Now. I see that several people bought this setup in the last few months. I would like to hear some feedback on the setups used and how well it worked in and around the A/S. the last couple of CG we have been setup at have had excellent WiFi signals. In both cases I had a clear line view to the antenna and was less than 100 ft away. The problem that I experience is that when I am inside or outside, but close to the trailer then I either lose the signal or see the signal but can't login. My biggest issue is inside the trailer, especially in the bedroom where there is more in the way to block the signal. I thank you in advance for the reply. I really want to buy the Sky, but want to make sure of the results before shelling out the cash.

KK

Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #157
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I am very satisfied with the performance of the SKY. Keep in mind, I have it in the f/g motorhome and not the tin trailer, but I think the strength of the signal should overcome the restriction of the metal cage.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1144517

Dave

Quote:

Now. I see that several people bought this setup in the last few months. I would like to hear some feedback on the setups used and how well it worked in and around the A/S. the last couple of CG we have been setup at have had excellent WiFi signals. In both cases I had a clear line view to the antenna and was less than 100 ft away. The problem that I experience is that when I am inside or outside, but close to the trailer then I either lose the signal or see the signal but can't login. My biggest issue is inside the trailer, especially in the bedroom where there is more in the way to block the signal. I thank you in advance for the reply. I really want to buy the Sky, but want to make sure of the results before shelling out the cash.

KK
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

KK
Check out this post where I did some speed and signal-strength comparisons, if you haven't seen it already.

When we first installed it, it was VERY useful at a certain campground where we were a pretty good distance from the campground's Wifi antenna. We were both glad we had it, since we were doing something during a rally that required a lot of internet access.

Since then, we haven't been to a campground with Wifi to test it again. Normally it's pretty common, but this year not so much. I want to say our next CG with Wifi is in mid-July.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have used it once and it takes quite a while to appear on the computer (computer time is different than other time—one minute on a computer is one hour in other contexts; a second is almost an eternity, but less than a computer minute). It worked on the laptop, was more problematical on the iPad. The CG wifi had to be signed into frequently and this is not only a pain at any time, but seems to have made using the Sky on the iPad a pain because I had to go into settings over and over. The wifi was good there and I really didn't need it. Set up instructions seem easy for techies, but leave a lot to be desired for others.

The 2 kits solve some problems, but the 2nd one is an ugly install. They are looking into a 3rd kit that solve both low amperage problems and interference with cable TV, and is not ugly. Basically, I suggested to them to have a 2nd wall plate with lights for one/off switches as well as the switches on the face plates. This could connect to the Winegard wall plate with a 12 v. wire and coaxial cables behind the plates. They are backed up on projects and say they will get to it.

They didn't think all this out before the put the Sky on the market, but have been receptive to our suggestions. They use an Airstream for marketing their products, so they are especially attuned to our needs.

Gene
Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #160
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sky

Gene: I now have a couple months experience with my SKY and I must say it was a great deal we got and a powerful product that I would not now be without. It takes time to be comfortable with any new product, and the SKY falls into this area.

In the warm weather, it takes approx. 40 seconds to boot from cold and appear on your laptop signal finder. (my experience in the cold weather was longer)

I have been leaving mine on, (I just forget that it is there) and by the time I park at a coffee stop or rest area and move to the laptop, the SKY has already got the best free signal available for that area. All you have to do is surf. (I did seem to have to repower it in the beginning, but that has not been necessary lately.)

I contacted Evan about my concern (my wifes concern really) over the two signals generated by the SKY after inputting your own password. (the private and the public signal) Evan returned my email request the next morning with:
"
Hello David,

Glad to hear the great question. There is some written about this on the bottom of the FAQ page seen on our website here.

If you want to disable the optional Public broadcast, go into the Control Panel and select the Wireless tab. You can disable the Public broadcast there and Save.

The Public broadcast is for you to easily and safely share your internet with friends or neighbors who you don't quite trust on your Private WPA-encrypted broadcast. On the Wireless tab, you will see where you can change the Public Access Key, which is required once someone on the Public broadcast tries to open their web browser to surf. Note that it is not an encryption key, like the WPA key, but is more of a passcode for browsing the internet.

The Public and Private broadcasts are segregated from each other, meaning that those connected on the Public signal cannot talk to your devices or computers which are connected on the Private broadcast. This ensures the safety you and your wife want. However, simply turning the optional Public signal off is the best option if you do not have friends or neighbors you are actively sharing the internet with.

I hope this helps, and that your enjoying the Sky and your week so far!

Evan
WiFiRanger Support"

As you know I have customized my installation of the SKY to fit my Clipper which was not difficult to do.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1144517

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I have used it once and it takes quite a while to appear on the computer (computer time is different than other time—one minute on a computer is one hour in other contexts; a second is almost an eternity, but less than a computer minute). It worked on the laptop, was more problematical on the iPad. The CG wifi had to be signed into frequently and this is not only a pain at any time, but seems to have made using the Sky on the iPad a pain because I had to go into settings over and over. The wifi was good there and I really didn't need it. Set up instructions seem easy for techies, but leave a lot to be desired for others.
Gene
Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We spend 5 nights at a CG with good wifi (except bandwidth sometimes during heavy use), so I didn't bother with it. I can play with it at home anyway except for the cable issue. I want to find out whether it interferes with cable, but can do that another time at a CG. I may be at a CG with cable in a month, but maybe not. By that time WFR may have a 3rd kit that solves all questions about cable, on/off and such. I can wait.

I keep it off and hope to remember whether it is on or off until that problem is solved.

It is obvious it boosts available wifi signals and maybe that is mainly what I need. I don't know whether it puts us at the head of the line with bandwidth—that's for electronic experts to inform me about. I can see how it could because you'd have a stronger signal that is less likely to be interrupted.

David, thanks for the info about disabling the public wifi option and I'll try to remember how when I have enough interest to play with it.

Gene
Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #162
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
WiFiRanger 5.6.1rc1 firmware will be out this week

Hey fellow Airstreamers,

We are releasing a new firmware, backward compatible with all WiFiRangers this next week.

email support@wifiranger.com if you are interested in getting in the beta release. Our BASE group (early adopters) have had a few versions of it for a few weeks, and it has some great new features, but still is a bit rough around the edges. If you like to see what is coming, and are not afraid of the bleeding edge, let us know and we'll get you in the rc1 release group.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #163
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Geeesss ---- we own an Airstream RV and don't need too many MORE new challenges. Let us know when the the final version with no bugs is released.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiRanger View Post
Hey fellow Airstreamers,

We are releasing a new firmware, backward compatible with all WiFiRangers this next week.

email support@wifiranger.com if you are interested in getting in the beta release. Our BASE group (early adopters) have had a few versions of it for a few weeks, and it has some great new features, but still is a bit rough around the edges. If you like to see what is coming, and are not afraid of the bleeding edge, let us know and we'll get you in the rc1 release group.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #164
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Meridian , Idaho
WiFiRanger 5.6.2rc2 Shipping, and upto 30% Discounts Until Friday

All,

The "Independence Day" sale is up and running at the WiFiRanger Store until Friday. Up to 30% Discount on products. The best deal for an Airstreamer with no 3G Modem is the "Mobile Package" and for those that need an indoor USB modem, or more than one LAN port the "RV Package."

Questions, let us know...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Have it on right now at a campground! Working great. We were having some issues getting signal from the campground in our trailer - it was working but would be really slow. WifiRanger has it going well. This is only the second time we've gotten to actually use the device so I'm happy.

Booted right up, too - I had the control panel in a minute or so. The trick for me is turning on the TV antenna first so that the connection doesn't short out when I turn on the Ranger.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #166
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
LaPorte , Indiana
Issues with connectivity

I'm having continual issues with connectivity using the Wifiranger Go2. The connection is dropped regularly, sometimes several times a day, but at least once a day, and it takes more than an hour to get it up and going again. I've tried troubleshooting, such as changing the failover to an hour, turning the failover off and on, changing the Multi-WAN mode to Load balance. I understand that it's the wifi itself that is causing the ranger to disconnect, but I don't understand why the wifi card in a laptop keeps connected full time and the ranger does not. If anyone has any more suggestions to try to keep connected, and the explanation as to why the continual droppage, I'd really appreciate it. This thing was crazy expensive for it not to work reliably!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:56 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Give them a call in Idaho. They have been very helpful to me.
Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #168

1986 32' Limited
Boise , Idaho
Hey Schu,

We're sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing.

You're addressing the right topic by tweaking Failover settings, as that commonly would cause brief disconnects when the WiFiRanger is trying to initiate a connection to a WiFi Network. However, since you're still not seeing stability even after changing Failover around, please contact our support team at questions@wifiranger.com or 208-321-5544 x2 to get additional help.

We should be able to verify your configuration to ensure nothing else is out of place.