Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have a Cradlepoint CTR 350 router and use Sprint Novatel(Nextel) with our Mac laps...we provide wifi to folks up to 150 feet away...our reception has always been good, and most of our neighbors have been able to access(we have the router at window height)...since we have unlimited time, the max-out is not a concern...we also got a Wilson direct connection cellular/PCS amplifier with antenna, which has yet to be installed(something about poking a hole in the skins just makes me cringe)...
Try going to <> they are a wealth of info for setting up a system

Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We have several "WiFi" devices that when in the cafes work just great but when inside our Airstream are varibly dependant on the distance we are to the closet antenna. With our laptops we have the same issue but not as bad but have found it much better using our Blackberry as a Verizon Host for the internet. Very reliable, providing coverage almost everywhere we go with a strong healthy signal. So as others mentioned, the skin of the AS is a pretty good shield for normal WiFi transmissions in most campgrounds.

J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
...we also got a Wilson direct connection cellular/PCS amplifier with antenna, which has yet to be installed(something about poking a hole in the skins just makes me cringe)...
I know the feeling, and haven't been able to bring myself to violate the skin either.

I also have a Wilson direct connect amp for my Verizon USB720 air card and, after getting tired of running the cable through the door and often getting tangled in it, I drilled a small hole in the frame around the front window screen. The hole was just big enough to fit the antenna connector through it and, with the black rubber grommet I used to seal the hole around the cable, it's barely noticeable.

When not in use, I coil the slack cable around the base of the antenna and leave it lying on its side in the space between the window and the screen. I use the mini magnetic base antenna so it easily fits without being obvious, unless you're looking for it.

When in use, I just uncoil the cable and stick the magnetic base of the antenna to a metal clamp that I attach to the frame of the front window 's protective shield. When opened, the shield is horizontal. Sometimes I stick a metal disk (the lid from a cookie tin - it's silver colored)) between the magnetic base and the metal clamp as a ground plane. Most of the time it's not necessary because just getting the antenna outside of the skin is a great improvement. The antenna cable is so thin that it easily seals in the window gasket when it's closed.

All this, just to avoid drilling a hole in the skin. Actually, it works (for me) very well.
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari SS SE
Vaporville , Confusion
I just installed a Netgear mbr624gu along with an AT&T Mercury 3G modem. I now have excellent speedy wireless coverage throughout the Airstream. I was considering a MiFI but that requires a contract. In addition, I very well may need more than the 5 computers that the Mifi limits you to. With this solution, I can also use multiple providers. It was around 149 bucks, and well worth it. Uses 12v 1A for power. The cradlepoint is worth looking at, but I went with the Netgear because it was a little more mainstream.
TropicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This has been a useful thread. I looked at all the options on the Jefatech site that Ahzmyrah (post 11) suggested. You can just get the antenna plus cable and plug it into your computer for $100 and save $50 if you don't care about wireless. It looks like the results would be the same in gaining signal.

The real problem is drilling a hole in the trailer and mounting the antenna on the antenna. Some people solve this by running the wire through a window (screen is a problem then) and temporarily putting the antenna outside, but this seems like a pain. Easier to do a permanent mount in the long run.

How have people done a permanent mount and brought the antenna wire inside? With our rear dinette, I'd want the wire to come there and the obvious place for an antenna is close to the radio antenna. The radio antenna is a kind of whip, but this antenna looks solid and would raise the height to watch out for at least a foot. Another solution would be attach it to the TV antenna and run the wire along the roof down to somewhere (through upper cabinet?, down to window and drill just above it?).

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote