Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
WiFi-In-Motion Internet for RVs (SinglePoint)

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with this internet setup? I am sold on purchasing this unit. Have you used this unit before installing it on your AS? We are preparing to down size and get rid of our regular cable bill and use this unit in our home before installing it on the AS.

Your experience or comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
From what I read it's still dependent on a cell signal from your carrier. I can't imagine paying that much for a box that may or may not amplify the signal. I'm doing just fine with a little Verizon MiFi at a fraction of the cost.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No experience with that one, I use a Verizon MiFi with external antenna. $50 a month for 5 gb of data. It, and the previous USB 720 from Verizon, have worked very well for me for the past 6 years. I have net usage almost everywhere I go, including some pretty obscure Forest Service campgrounds in Idaho, Washington, and Montana. When I go south for the winter, it is my only net access. The only reason I don't use it at home is we have no cell reception from any provider, so I have to use Wild Blue Satellite service here.

I think the Mi Fi device was $50 with a two year contract.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
This does make a lot of sense. I am reconsidering. idroba, can you tell me what this "external antenna" is that you use and how you use it?

Thanks

Freedomrider
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Another option is Data Jack and a Wilson Sleek Amplifier. The amplifier is not required but comes in handy in fringe areas. IIIRC Data Jack uses the Sprint Network. No contract, competitive pricing and if it has coverage where you need it, it might be an option.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
My wife and I like to boondock, and I researched equipment that would provide an Internet connection when WiFi wasn't available.

While the MiFi and PepWave SURF On-The-Go (SOTG) work well in many areas while inside our Airstream, an external cell frequency or dual band (both cell & WiFi frequency) antenna can improve reception in fringe areas. Therefore, I also have an external cellular antenna and cell frequency amplifier that connects to the MiFi 4510L.

So the setup looks like this:

Verizon Cell Tower => External Cellular Antenna => Cyfre Cell Amplifier => PepWave SOTG => Laptop/Kindle Fire/Other WiFi-connected devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, etc.)

Here are the links that I used in my research before purchasing these devices:

* Communication

* Millenicom | Wireless Broadband Plans

* Pepwave Surf On-The-Go 3G/4G Router w/ WiFi as WAN (Surf OTG) Version 2.0, 17 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

Note: The review by Robert W., Glendale, AZ, is me.

* Maximum Signal :: Cyfre Direct Connect Amplifiers

Note: I originally saw the Cyfre amplifier on the Millenicom | High Speed Wireless Broadband Web site. Then, found the CA-819 and "Extreme Rockies" models on Maximum Signal - The best cellular amplifiers for any carrier at the best prices!.

This setup provides "WiFi as WAN" Internet connectivity similar to WiFiRanger products, AND also can connect to a cell phone network when boondocking. Using the MiFi 4510L, it connects to the cell phone network at 4G speeds in major metropolitan areas, including where I live; and 4G is up to 2.5 times faster than basic DSL service. In remote areas, it connects at 3G speeds, which is about 1.5 Mbits/sec, max.

For your reference, Millenicom is a cell data reseller; and the 3G/4G Hotspot Plan with the Novatel MiFi 4510L uses the Verizon network, while I believe the other plans are on Sprint. When we received the MiFi 4510L, it had a Millenicom Avery label on it that covered the Verizon logo underneath; so it is exactly the same device that Verizon used to sell, except instead of $50 for 5GB of data and $10 per GB for more data, Millenicom charges $69.99 for 20GB that has a hard cap at that limit. Also, Millenicom has no extra charges added on, and no contract.

I think that you can connect up to five devices to the MiFi 4510L, via WiFi; although I did not check this out, since we use the PepWave SOTG as a router. You may not need the PepWave mobile router, if you have less than five WiFi devices and don't want to use it for campground WiFi (like the WiFiRanger).

We chose the Millenicom 3G/4G Hotspot plan, specifically because it uses the Verizon network. In our experience Verizon has the best nationwide coverage.

I have tested the Cyfre amplifier abilities in remote areas; and while it does increase signal levels, it cannot amplify a non-existent signal. I have since discovered that the weak/unusable signals that I thought were available in some of our favorite camping spots, are actually non-existent (i.e., absolutely no signal), which is a real disappointment. However, it should be noted that Cyfre amplifiers are designed by the same Motorola group that builds cell tower equipment, and the "Extreme Rockies" model transmits with the maximum power allowed by the FCC. And, both Cyfre amplifiers are used extensively by storm chasers in the Midwest, where cell towers are very few and far between in vast, open rural areas.

Please note that if you do NOT boondock in remote locations and you have strong Verizon cell service at your home, you probably do NOT need the Cyfre amplifier; although you may benefit from an external antenna.

==================

Notes:

1. I have no affiliation with the above suppliers other than being a satisfied customer. Other similar products may produce the same or better results, perhaps at better prices.

2. The above is compiled from several PMs previously sent to some members.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider View Post
This does make a lot of sense. I am reconsidering. idroba, can you tell me what this "external antenna" is that you use and how you use it?

Thanks

Freedomrider
I use a Verizon MiFi 4620L Jetpack which has an external antenna port. It is a bit delicate, but if used with care and a rubber band to hold the adaptor cord in place it works well.

I use a Wilson antenna like this one from 3gstore.com: Magnetic Mount 3G/4G Antenna, 12 inches, 7 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

You can use any of the other Wilson Marine or trucker series of antennas. They all work with the MiFi adaptor cord.

If you don't want to use an adaptor cord on the MiFi, get a Wilson Sleek amplifier with antenna for the MiFi :
Sleek 4G-V Wilson Electronics 4G LTE Cell Phone Signal Booster - 815125 - 4GV, 22 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

That Wilson Sleek will also work with your cell phone in difficult reception areas. Different antennas are available, depending on how you use it.

Anything which uses the Verizon network will probably give you good service. I have mine fixed on 3G only, as switching automatically between 3G and 4G can have some issues, and 4G is seldom available where I go.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
We use "Autonet" and it works. I have a Wilson cell phone booster and have never been in a place where Autonet couldn't get a sig..
sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks guys,

Quite a lot of info to digest and understand. It seems that putting a system together can be almost almost as expensive as the Wifi-in Motion. Phoenix and idroba, it seems that both of you use a version of Verizon Hotspot, except it looks like the 4510L is no longer sold. Is there another option other than Verizon that will work on a Verizon network? If you don't by a contract it $269;

Before I go down the road of putting a system together, can you give me your opinion of Millenicom"s "RV Wireless Booster Kit." It is an all-in-one package and is $429. You can find it under the "Products" tab. I did notice that it said in fine print, Does not boost LTE and AWS (dose not sound good).

1) I prefer to stay with Verizon. I was told this a Sprint Network, however, this system
will work on any signal in range and the Advanced Plan "Novatel U760" is for the Verizon Network. I mention these things because I am confused.

Thanks for you opinion.

Freedomfider
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
As we would only be using the device for 3 or 4 months of the year we purchased outright (approx $250) a Verizon 4G LTE MiFi 4510L last winter in Florida while moving between state parks for 12 weeks. We then enrolled in a monthly plan: 5 GB for $50 and $10 per additional GB. 5 GB proved quite adequate for our needs.
The modem operates in 4G where available and automatically drops down to 3G where not. It also acts as a (secure) wireless router and 4 (or 5?) devices can be connected simultaneously.
It worked very well except in more remote parks (weak signal) so I bought a Wilson wide band 50 ohm directional antenna (passive - no electronic amplification) which greatly improved reception but required aiming the antenna when we moved so when we arrived home (Toronto, Canada) I mounted a Winegard rotating antenna base (which Camping World obligingly had on sale) on the roof. The Winegard comes pre-threaded with 75 ohm co-ax which is easily replaced with 50 ohm.
I did a fair bit of research regarding coverage areas before buying the MiFi (Verizon had the best) and also gain before selecting the antenna - Wilson's tech was very helpful. An adapter available from Verizon is required to connect the MiFi to the (standard) 50 ohm co-ax.
I have (I hope) attached a photo of the Wilson antenna mounted on the Winegard base on the roof of our AS.
A Canadian wireless carrier (Rogers) is partnered with Verizon so we could also use it in Canada ($$).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4298_1.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	169425  
kordate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Freedomrider,

It appears that Millenicom.com resells whatever Verizon currently offers as a "hotspot" device. I suspect that what they are currently offering is probably the Novatel MiFi 4620L. However, you should contact Millenicom to confirm this before purchase.

The 4620L looks like the 4510L with some additional information on the front panel. The new 4620L icons and indicators display the same information that is available for the 4510L via a browser screen.

When I purchased the 4510L this summer, this "hotspot" device used the Verizon network, and all of the other cell modems used Sprint. However, again, you should contact Millenicom.com to verify which network each plan currently uses.

Regarding the "RV Wireless Booster Kit", there is more information on this and other kits and amplifiers on the MaximumSignal.net site (in fact, they appear to be a little cheaper):

Maximum Signal :: Maximum Signal Wireless Amplifiers :: Small RV/Single Room Wireless Package

This product is new since I purchased the "Extreme Rockies" direct connect amplifier, and I am unfamiliar with the RV Wireless Booster Kit's exact purpose and function.

The owner of MaximumSignal, "Gordon", is quick to respond to questions. In fact, when I was considering buying a special antenna, I asked him if it would work for what I intended; and he responded and explained that it was the wrong one.

The best way to get what you need is to send him a message explaining what you want your system to do, and he will recommend the appropriate amplifier and/or kit for your consideration.

As far as forum members providing more information on what items might work for you, it would help if you could provide additional info on your Airstream model, what need you are trying to fill (cell modem Internet connection, free WiFi as WAN, expand your personal WiFi network, etc.) and the devices you currently have. That way we can make more accurate recommendations.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use a Verizon 3G/4C hot spot device and it's done amazingly well over the last year or so we've had it...prior to that we used a USB Verizon modem which also worked rather well. We've been very pleased.

But if I ever want to enhance it...I am going to talk to PHOENIX for help ... he's to far ahead of the game on this stuff it's crazy!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with this internet setup? I am sold on purchasing this unit. Have you used this unit before installing it on your AS? We are preparing to down size and get rid of our regular cable bill and use this unit in our home before installing it on the AS.

Your experience or comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
I did a blog post about this product awhile back. The owner of WiFi in Motion just found my post and is sending me info in the next two weeks about their new and upgraded product. Hold off on purchasing the old model because this new one is amazing. As soon as I get the info from him, I'll let you know!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Awesome info and advice. With every post things are becoming much more clear. Phoenix, I will follow through with Gordon, plus it is much cheaper. Also, I am interested in seeing what's new with the next generation of WiFi-In Motion.

By the way, I am expecting our 2013 30" Classic, special order, delivery around the end of this month. We have Verizon wireless cell phones and want to stay with them. We plan to RV full-time starting in April 2013. We want our own internet secure system all the time and everywhere possible across the US and Canada. We have no equipment, we are starting from scratch. This is the reason I was interested in a complete system.

Thanks again all for your concern and input.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
We just completed a 12 day trip from Denver area to the San Diego area and back. We used my Vernon Droid 4's mobile hot spot feature for Internet access. Most of the campgrounds we stopped at or stayed at had 4G coverage but some were 3G. When we had 4G the connection was 99% of the time more reliable and faster than the campground's WIFI. When we had 3G only, the speed was pretty much of a toss up, but reliability was usually better. I have found the Campground WIFI to often be very variable in speed from minute to minute. I am sure this is due to campers sharing the campground's Internet connection. I used no external amplifier or antenna. I did make sure that the phone was next to a window. I have an App which will show me the location of the tower I am using. So I use that sometimes to pick which window. When traveling. I place the phone near the font of the dash if one of us is using the Internet. Cell phone data access can be a bit frustrating when in motion in spotty coverage areas, but other wise it suits our needs (which are really wants).

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
w7ts,

Its good to hear of your experience. It makes me think that connectivity issues are getting better with upgraded networks and equipment (no antenna or amplifier).

Future travel looks and sounds good.

Happy Trails.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
My wife and I upgraded our Verizon 3G phones to 4G (Droid Razr Max). We had unlimited data with the old plan and were told we could still keep it, but we would have to pay full price for the phones. Wound up going with a shared 4 gig plan, which was less than the previous plan. The phones have a wifi hotspot app. that is included free. At the time of purchase I also purchased a Wilson cell phone amp. with external antenna. I have to say the system works better than expected. When camping in an area with a weak cell signal I can consistently expect 2 to 3 bars improvement with the amp. I haven't tested the wifi range yet but had a solid signal 100' from the camper.
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310astream View Post
My wife and I upgraded our Verizon 3G phones to 4G (Droid Razr Max). We had unlimited data with the old plan and were told we could still keep it, but we would have to pay full price for the phones. Wound up going with a shared 4 gig plan, which was less than the previous plan. The phones have a wifi hotspot app. that is included free. At the time of purchase I also purchased a Wilson cell phone amp. with external antenna. I have to say the system works better than expected. When camping in an area with a weak cell signal I can consistently expect 2 to 3 bars improvement with the amp. I haven't tested the wifi range yet but had a solid signal 100' from the camper.
We changed our two separate plans (one unlimited data and one not) to a new share everything plan. We saved quite a bit and the unlimited voice is a big improvement for us. We find the 2GB is fine for use when we are home, since we have comcast internet at home. When we travel, we will change the plan to 4GB, if we think we will need it. If our last 12 day trip had been a month, we may have needed the 4GB. However as it was, although it all fell in one billing cycle, the 2GB was more than enough.

The other think I like about the new plans is the free hot spot and tethering. For all practical purposes, as long as I have my phone with me, it turns my wireless only tablet into a 4G tablet for free.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomrider View Post
Awesome info and advice. With every post things are becoming much more clear. Phoenix, I will follow through with Gordon, plus it is much cheaper. Also, I am interested in seeing what's new with the next generation of WiFi-In Motion.

By the way, I am expecting our 2013 30" Classic, special order, delivery around the end of this month. We have Verizon wireless cell phones and want to stay with them. We plan to RV full-time starting in April 2013. We want our own internet secure system all the time and everywhere possible across the US and Canada. We have no equipment, we are starting from scratch. This is the reason I was interested in a complete system.

Thanks again all for your concern and input.
Probably too late, but if you're having one built, you should have them run the wires to run an external Wifi and cellular antenna.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
We have not decided on a system yet. Still trying to educate myself so that we will get the equipment that fit our needs and buy right the first time. Thanks for you advice.