Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
as hopeful

Satellite Internet

Does any one have experience with Satellite Internet?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Computer Link Security

WiFi is no more insecure than any other connection medium. You must always always always check that you are using an SSL connection before sending any sort of sensitive information. In Internet Explorer look for the yellow padlock to indicate that you are using SSL, which is an encrypted protocol and readable only by the computers at each end of the connection - No padlock, then don't send - ever. Anyone who is sniffing your traffic over the airwaves can capture it but they cannot decode it without a supercomputer and a lot of time.

I have an AT&T aircard which I use to connect in Austin TX (though not in a 3G area - which is their highest connection speed) and I would call my service OK, but not great. I've actually had to reduce my link throughput speed because connectivity is unreliable at the default settings. Others in the country report some really fast throughput speeds but not here. My average speed is about like DSL (better than dialup but not as good as cable broadband). If you want to test your connection, go to Speakeasy - Speakeasy, Inc. - Broadband, Voice and Data Services and run the test there for an objective evaluation.

I understand that some of the Sprint Aircard users maintain that their service, speed and cost is better than AT&T's.

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Extended WiFi

Check out radiolabs.com
I have their 12 dB Omni Antenna, an ethernet router and a cable to connect the two all from RadioLabs. The router connects to up to four computers via a network cable. If you want to, you can connect a WiFi router to the ethernet router and have your own access point. RadioLabs tech support is great.
If there is WiFi anywhere around, you will get it. At home, it picks up our own Wifi and half a dozen others around the neighborhood. This set-up really works.

I don't think WiFi wants to come through two layers of aluminum. Sometimes just opening the door helps if it is pointed in the right direction. Not good, especially at night when the bugs fly in toward the light.

Love my set-up
Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
I seem to have a good one (Netgear),have to post more info Monday about it,as the box/specs are at work.
Opps,forgot about this post! I disabled my built in wireless card on my three month old laptop. I now use the this NETGEAR WN121T RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter It works pretty well and is faster than the built in card. Bought it at Best Buy,around $80 dollars. I use the c/g's free (sort of,in rent) Wifi G rate router,or throw the l/t in the truck and go to the other end of c/g to use the N rated router (much faster).
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
Opps,forgot about this post! I disabled my built in wireless card on my three month old laptop. ...

That's probably the route I'll take with my new laptop too. The built in WiFi card and antenna is significantly less effective than the PCMCIA card with external antenna jack I was using on my old one.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I was in Best Buy in Tallahassee, FL within the last hour and they had all kinds of stuff made by Netgear but they did not have the WN121T mentioned above and there was no label on the shelf for it. Possibly it has been discontinued or they no longer carry it.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I was going to purchase a new laptop (old one can't be upgraded with enough memory to accept a pc card). Looks like a better deal is a new Apple I-Phone and add the data capability to my existing cingular/ATT account for $20 a month (unlimited data). Cheaper than a new laptop, pc card, and $59.99 per month for unlimited data. The I-Phone is through ATT which I have and has the same coverage. Just MHO.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
I was in Best Buy in Tallahassee, FL within the last hour and they had all kinds of stuff made by Netgear but they did not have the WN121T mentioned above and there was no label on the shelf for it. Possibly it has been discontinued or they no longer carry it.
Hmm,I bought mine on 10/24,it may be out dated already! Geezze! I'll see if BB has them online-brb.
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Sure enough! BestBuy.com - Search Results They have some other "N" type adapters,I called the store even,the Geek guy said try Radio Shack. He said they used to carry Netgear stuff.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
CompUSA today (bless their bleeding little hearts) had a good selection of NetGear here in Colorado Springs. All the RangeMax Wireless-N except for pcmcia cards. Routers and USB adapters, only. The "really good deal" was 15% off. No wonder they're going out of business--the day after Xmas and a going out of business sale and most stuff was only 10% off! But if the NetGear is what you want, it's a good deal.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
OK --- I am not very technical, but I can verify that our Verizon Wireless card works way better than dial-up though not as good as cable internet. I can also tell you that in the middle of nowhere Iowa where neither of our cell phones work (Verion and T-Mobile), I can surf the internet while Bob drives the truck. It has been the best investment we have made.