Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
What dish receiver to use

I'm close to switching to dish for home and having a hopper dvr with it. For use on the road with a tailgater type setup can I get a receiver that will access my dvr?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
It appears the Wally receiver won't
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you checked the other Dish threads in this sub-forum?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/

like this one?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...er-161308.html

Here are some search results for "Dish receiver" FWIW --

https://www.google.com/search?q=dish...=airforums.com

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Yes I have looked at some. It doesn't look like any of those links have anything to do with my question.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I'm close to switching to dish for home and having a hopper dvr with it. For use on the road with a tailgater type setup can I get a receiver that will access my dvr?
Not sure but your post begs the question: Is there an RV park anywhere that has sufficient wi-fi bandwith to allow you to access and download your content during prime time?

If you buy a Tailgater, get last year's version with two outputs. You'll need two Wally's but at least you'll be able to record one show while watching another. Or more likely, you'll be able to surf in the dinette while your wife is watching in the BR. YMMV. Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
You will need the WALLY receiver and an additional USB Hard Drive to connect to it.
Once you get the hard drive , plug it into the Wally and call DISH to pay the 40$ DVR fee. From what I know the House DVR and RV DVR wont talk to each other. You will have to program each of them separately.
Rocker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What I understand only a few receivers will work with a Tailgater. In addition to the Wally, Dish sells a specific receiver. I doubt it has a DVR interface, but give them a call.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Wonder if I could take the receiver from home that would have the DVD and use it with the tailgater
Old 05-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
What Rocker66 says. That's what I do and it works great.
2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4X4
dalecamp` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Ok, not to be too dense, but if my wife records a bunch of stuff at home, it can't be viewed on the road with the Wally receiver, right?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
San Jose , California
The dish receiver and tailgater antenna receive satellite TV signals from the Dish satellite(s). Recorded programming from your home DVR would reach you through an internet connection which would normally come from the RV park wifi using Dish Anywhere software. It's unlikely the RV park wifi will have bandwidth adequate for satisfactory reception of recorded material from your home DVR. You may be able to bring your home DVR with you and hook it up to the tailgater and the trailer TV which would allow you to watch recorded programs. I've not tried this so it would be best to check with Dish tech support to see if this approach will work. The main issue is compatibility of your home DVR with the tailgater antenna
ajnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
As I get closer to ending my contract with directv I'll check this out. Thx
Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Ok, not to be too dense, but if my wife records a bunch of stuff at home, it can't be viewed on the road with the Wally receiver, right?
Set up the Tailgater and Wally (with hard drive) at home and record your shows before you leave
Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
Quote:
We have a Dish VIP211Z receiver I purchased on EBAY for less than $50. I've attached a Passport external hard drive, paid Dish to update the receiver and HD a one time fee ($40). It now works just like a receiver with built in DVR. It only receives one channel at a time. I ran a separate cable to my dish at home to receive service and record at home. The fee to have this receiver to use at home or on the road is $7.00 a month added to my regular Dish monthly bill.

I can set this receiver to record one program at a time at home and take it on the road with me and watch what is recorded or what is available on Dish network in HD with my Carryout antenna.

So yes you can view a bunch of stuff on the road that was recorded at home. It is also capable of receiving all of Dish network HD channels and local channels on the road, but receiving local channels is another subject and a little more complicated to do. We usually don't go to that trouble and just use the OTA antenna in our trailer to view locals.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamp` View Post
So yes you can view a bunch of stuff on the road that was recorded at home.
This sounds great but I've run into a glitch. Sometimes we are camped with trees blocking our signal and all we want to do is watch recorded shows. But since we can't get fully through the boot sequence, the stupid software won't let us access the recorded shows.

Now we are headed to Alaska and we know that we won't be able watch live TV. But why or why won't the software allow us to access movies we've recorded

Anyone have any ideas? TIA, Dave
Old 05-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I don't know about Dish, but I have done that with my directv receiver without problems.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We use the Dish 211z and a recorder of some kind my son has in his stash of computer stuff which fit what Dish specifications required to record. We record some things and then we can watch them without the Antenna being up or activated. We have a Dish Traveler on top of the trailer.

As an aside I've heard Verizon is in negotiations to buy Dish. We have Verizon for home and mobile phones, like them but hope they don't buy Dish as we have found their customer service to be great. Verizon is ok, but not great.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
This sounds great but I've run into a glitch. Sometimes we are camped with trees blocking our signal and all we want to do is watch recorded shows. But since we can't get fully through the boot sequence, the stupid software won't let us access the recorded shows.

Now we are headed to Alaska and we know that we won't be able watch live TV. But why or why won't the software allow us to access movies we've recorded

Anyone have any ideas? TIA, Dave
Dave, I believe this is what I do to get past the boot phase.
I turn on the TV. Then I turn on the power to the receiver that has the external HD on it. I push power on the remote to turn on the receiver. I press menu and then select DVR to get to the recorded programs on the external HD. Mine usually starts searching for a signal, I push MENU and then DVR.
Hopes this helps, enjoy your Alaska excursion. Wish I was doing that this summer.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecamp` View Post
Dave, I believe this is what I do to get past the boot phase.
I turn on the TV. Then I turn on the power to the receiver that has the external HD on it. I push power on the remote to turn on the receiver.
Funny thing is that this morning my wife turned on the TV in the BR. Our RV camp has digital cable so only the dinette tv works. So she clicked on the Dish and we saw the 'acquiring signal' screen. I hit the DVR button and it worked 😀 We just spent 5 wks in the Baja and we never did access our stored movies. Dummy me. Now we'll be able to watche our recorded shows when needed

Thanks for your post, Dave
Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Funny thing is that this morning my wife turned on the TV in the BR. Our RV camp has digital cable so only the dinette tv works. So she clicked on the Dish and we saw the 'acquiring signal' screen. I hit the DVR button and it worked 😀 We just spent 5 wks in the Baja and we never did access our stored movies. Dummy me. Now we'll be able to watche our recorded shows when needed

Thanks for your post, Dave
I'm glad it worked for you.