Old 08-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs down

Buy a Pepwave Soho it has all the features of the ranger, the Wifi Ranger is a seriously over priced piece of hardware for what it is. They are exclusively marketing to people who don't know in the RV world, taking advantage of that, and over charging for a $100 product. And it's not even a very good one at that.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Pep wave is a great product for sure... There is only one downside from what I can tell when I compare to my old school wifi-ranger+sky setup - that the pep wave only has one radio, which would be located inside your trailer. The wifi/sky system has 2 radios - one is physically located on the roof/exterior of the trailer so has the best access to the Internet / WAN / wifi source and a second radio in the wifi-ranger router itself, located inside the trailer, which provides LAN connectivity inside the trailer. The 2 radios are bridged via a PoE physical cable...

That is really the only reason why I liked the wi-if ranger - One would think that the external radio / antenna would have better range than a radio located inside the airstream.

Note that with both routers you still want a weboost in the system to amplify your LTE hotspot signal independently of wi-fi LAN/WAN connectivity....

Old 08-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Pep wave is a great product for sure... There is only one downside from what I can tell when I compare to my old school wifi-ranger+sky setup - that the pep wave only has one radio, which would be located inside your trailer. The wifi/sky system has 2 radios - one is physically located on the roof/exterior of the trailer so has the best access to the Internet / WAN / wifi source and a second radio in the wifi-ranger router itself, located inside the trailer, which provides LAN connectivity inside the trailer. The 2 radios are bridged via a PoE physical cable...

That is really the only reason why I liked the wi-if ranger - One would think that the external radio / antenna would have better range than a radio located inside the airstream.

Note that with both routers you still want a weboost in the system to amplify your LTE hotspot signal independently of wi-fi LAN/WAN connectivity....
Well, just to bring you up to speed, the Pepwave has two antenna's, and still for half the cost you can do what you described. The Wifi ranger does not have "two radios" either. That's a misunderstanding of the internal and external antennas.

I just added these two videos highlighting my setup the other day. Same setup you described, internal and external.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrIH6BD...=boldadventure

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrKJOUD...=boldadventure

Becuase the Pepwave is capable of wifi over wan you can have the same setup at a fraction of the cost.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Weboost 4G-X vs WiFi Ranger

I stand corrected! Your setup is bad ass thanks for schooling me!

Btw my ranger does not use an external independent antenna like your sure call... I used the obsolete "sky" unit which is in of itself a wifi bridge with radio.

But I think your setup with surecall antenna is the way to go....
Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Yes, I was wrong on that end, they seem to use a setup similar to using a Ubiquiti BULLET with the antenna mounted to it and an ethernet cable. The Bullet is about under $100, so you could still build an identical system for under the $399 or $599 price tag.

For me though, using the dual antenna array allows for the best bang for buck. If I wanted to extend power range, I could use a Bullet on the end of the sure call. But I am LTE 99% of the time and only repeating my own wifi rather than a parks. So I stay on the low end.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Everett , Washington
I had the same questions as you. Ultimately, we decided to go with both the WeBoost 4G-X and the WiFi Ranger--we are very happy with the set-up. We use a Verizon Jetpack that is USB'd into the Go2 Router. Both antenna are mounted on our TV Mast Antenna.

We utilize cellular about 70% of the time and WiFi 30% (rough guesstimates). WiFi Ranger is paying off now as we reached our cell limit in Northern Michigan and are relying on WiFi while mooch docking with family for the next couple of weeks.

I considered going the Pepwave route, but decided against it based on the ease of the WiFi Ranger set-up and their highly rated customer support (I'm NOT an IT guy). Yes, it was more money, but it was a cleaner and easier set-up for an IT novice like me.

So far, I'm pretty happy. We have had some issues with our set-up and WiFi Ranger Customer Support has been incredible. We have contacted them 3x for various issues (all via email) and each time they have solved our problems within hours (including finding problems that we weren't aware of).

So, my 2 cents is you will pay a premium for the ease of set up and awesome customer service, but so far it's been worth it for us.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searun View Post
So, my 2 cents is you will pay a premium for the ease of set up and awesome customer service, but so far it's been worth it for us.
I don't understand how the setup is easier. It's about the same. That's the point I'm making. The marketing is just aimed at the RV market and those who aren't, as you described yourself, tech smart. They know that, and they took advantage of it.

Just my opinion based on my experience and being an IT guy who has examined both hardware setups.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 AM   #22
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
Pepwave SoHo...sold out...replacement 'this fall'...shoot dang.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Bold, WFR has moved past the Ubiquiti to a different external radio/antenna system. Having had the UB Bullet the new 'Elite' setup has gotten better range and signal than the UB in the past. I forget the brand of the external radio/antenna.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Perhaps, but I don't think the hardware is worth the price point still. You're buying a router and an antenna with boosted amplifier. I stick by my assessment, that the hardware is over valued. This is a segment that it's very difficult to make margins; routers are a commodity basically. They found a niche. Good for them.

If it works for you, and you're fine paying a premium and knowing you paid it for marginal gains and a customer support number (which you'd get with 3gstore too); then all the power to you.