Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We purchased a WeBoost Drive 4G and have been happy. You can see increase in signal when using. That said if there is no signal you cannot boost nothing. That has been a problem with many campgrounds.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Bloomington , Indiana
If you use cellular data, find who has the best signal in your neighborhood, then which of the alternate carriers that use that base carrier's signals have low-cost data plans. Then tether, sharing the phone. I use T-Mobile and have a grandfathered ancient data plan, but MetroPCS uses T-Mobile, and their plans are cheap. Beware that watching videos will eat your available data allocation like a football team.

Getting data at a long-term stop using WiFi means getting a sensitive router, and positioning the location of the router (which serves technically as a network bridge) helps a lot. Best is an external antenna, but no router using the 802.11n or 802.11ac protocols (meaning 5GHz bands) is allowed to have an external antenna that can be user-modified. Yuck.

For WiFi, a range-extending router is therefore, the best choice if you can't get close proximity to the RV resort's WiFi antenna. Big aluminum stuff blocks WiFi mightily. Sorry.

There are satellite dish options, including ones that can mount on the RV. Generally, they're fine for most purposes, but can be spotty for voice and video. Check their data/month allocations, too, as overage fees can be steep, just like cellular data.

Tom W9YW (my amateur radio call sign).
hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Hartwell , Georgia
WeBoost and WifiRanger

I have both WeBoost and WifiRanger since I work out of my RV. Currently I am based where i needed wifi amplification so the WifiRanger is great - I am still learning how to use it at other locations. The WeBoost is also terrific since my Verizon cellular signal is variable. I can now do conference calling without worrying about dropped calls.
The WeBoost is the cheapest option and if you are comfortable Hotspotting off your phone for both you devices then that works great. I've done all of the above at different times.
Nancy in Georgia
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Just a thought I have not seen mentioned yet: we are probably months away from the significant deployment of 5G cell service by the big carriers. I’m not sure if the specs but I think it will help with the issues we all have with campground internet service. Hope so, anyway! Also want to endorse the fairly new offering from Verizon if true unlimited Jetpack, $70/month prepaid- if you don’t pay, it’s ok. You can start again any time.
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Carter Lake , Iowa
I have in same concerns as UnklJoe, and am looking at the various options to add hardware to my 2016 25ft Flying Cloud.

Has anyone else checked into a new service offered by AT&T through a partnership with Airstream? It's called Airstream Connect, and it requires that existing Airstream owners take their rig to dealerships to have hardware installed that will boost both Wifi and Cellular signals after the Airstream owner signs up with AT&T and has a SIM chip installed. I've attached the link ..

https://www.airstream.com/att/

Airstream Connect

Stay connected with family and friends, stream entertainment and share your Airstream adventure wherever you go with two 4G LTE Data Connect Plans from AT&T for any Airstream.

- Unlimited Adventure 1 year of unlimited data at $360
- Weekend Adventure 5 GB at $25/mo

Other features include:

- Intuitive and easy-to-use Wi-Fi hotspot
- High-gain, roof mounted antenna to ensure the best possible coverage
- Wi-Fi boost technology to improve the performance of weak campground Wi-Fi

Airstream Connect is offered exclusively through Airstream's dealer network and requires professional installation.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Have you looked at the "WiFi on Steroids?" We have used it with fairly good results. The best feature, besides enhancing the signal, is the we can set it up with our own security, eliminating the potential for having an open-public signal going out.
One other positive is that technical support is easily obtained on the cell phone (or land line) by the inventor.
A negative is that in one rather remote area that had a monopolist internet provider, we occasionally had to restart our system. Even though the inventor swears it isn't true, I think that the enhancement and security process looks like a "hack" to the provider. It is like there is a new customer that hasn't paid to get in (this is only a guess, because we have not checked it out). This has only happened in one area, however.
We take our WiFi on Steroids" with us, everywhere, even if we are staying at hotels & cabins when not camping. It works wonders there. I like the security we can maintain outside of the non-secure version the lodgings seem to always provide. It probably works in airports, too--just never tried it, yet. All one needs is an outlet.
Disclaimer: we are in no way connected with the inventor or product marketing. We are simply users. Call Gary Drake (tech support-inventor) at 904-806-6400. He is a "full timer" himself. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Williams , Oregon
Use an ATT Mobile Hotspot

I have a 25 foot FBT and have solved this exact problem to my complete satisfaction. Pick up an ATT “Unite Express 2” mobile hotspot at your local ATT store. This small little unit has a receiver that is remarkably better than the one in your phone or Ipad. It will take a one bar ATT signal as shown on your phone and convert it to a strong WiFi signal covering your entire trailer and a good sized area near it outside.

It works very well from inside the trailer. I set mine on the top of the couch near the door. The best location for you will depend on where you are parked relative to the local cell tower. It has a good sized battery that will last at least 8 hours. You can charge it or run it from an external phone charger.

The unit has provision for connecting an external antenna. I have tried a small patch antenna mounted with suction cups to the outside of the trailer. I quit doing this as I have found it to function perfectly well with the internal antenna.

The beauty of this device is not only that it is small and requires no installation but that it directly addresses the problem you wish to solve. That is, you do not really want to rebroadcast a phone signal in your trailer nor access the usually low speed and insecure park wifi. You want your own high speed wifi that can be used by any of your devices including your phone. You will be able to make phone calls also by using ATT wifi calling, at least if you have an Iphone. There is no setup either. Simply power up the unit and it works displaying all relevant info on its color screen.

It is true that your phone or Ipad will also create a hotspot but not anything like as well as this device. I have several of each and their recievers are much much weaker than the dedicated hotspot.

So, get an ATT hotspot and job done.
MooseAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Woodhaven , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollieboy View Post
My wife and I are staying in a campground while looking for a new home. The campground has internet service but the other campers say its pretty iffy which is typical of most places we've stayed. Another camper suggested an antenna which he said will help pick up the signal. My question is what to buy and how does it work? Will one antenna work for both my wife's laptop and my Macbook? Will I need a router also? Sorry if this sounds pretty remedial but I know just enough on the internet to cost me money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
You can buy a WiFi extender which will multiply the original signal. It also allows you to password protect your new signal. Got mine at Best Buy.
wseeloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Check Best Buy they have a number of different kinds of boosters, also what you’re looking for is available at most truck stops. I bought one and it will run 4 different devices at once, but that’s depending on the strength of the signal. I’ve used it in places where no one else can get a cell phone signal let alone anything else, and they coming over to my trailer to send messages.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Our experience is that all park wi-fi is pretty crummy, except at 3 a.m. when no one is online using it. The problem is that it is a shared resource and most parks don’t have a big enough data pipe supplying it to keep everyone going at much above dial-up speeds. So, there’s no fancy wi-fi antenna or box that is going to fix that. We did have a cellular signal booster installed in our trailer, which has an outside receiving antenna and an inside antenna in the trailer. It will boost a marginal signal to a usable one, but if there’s no signal, it’s not gonna help. We use our cell phone or our cellular-enabled iPad to generate a WiFi signal inside the trailer that feeds our laptop. Works fine for everything including streaming video.
Be sure your booster uses the same frequencies as your cellular provider and that it’s 4G LTE, not 3G. Carriers are phasing out their 3G cell sites. Right now, 5G is vaporware so I wouldn’t worry about it. I certainly wouldn’t spend a dollar on something that claimed to improve WiFi.
On that score, some parks prohibit streaming on their WiFi; and it is possible for their equipment to detect high data rates (from streaming) and shut off that connection. Other parks with somewhat sophisticated WiFi systems will simply not accept new connections if the system’s capacity is maxed out.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseAir View Post
I have a 25 foot FBT and have solved this exact problem to my complete satisfaction. Pick up an ATT “Unite Express 2” mobile hotspot at your local ATT store. This small little unit has a receiver that is remarkably better than the one in your phone or Ipad. It will take a one bar ATT signal as shown on your phone and convert it to a strong WiFi signal covering your entire trailer and a good sized area near it outside.

It works very well from inside the trailer. I set mine on the top of the couch near the door. The best location for you will depend on where you are parked relative to the local cell tower. It has a good sized battery that will last at least 8 hours. You can charge it or run it from an external phone charger.

The unit has provision for connecting an external antenna. I have tried a small patch antenna mounted with suction cups to the outside of the trailer. I quit doing this as I have found it to function perfectly well with the internal antenna.

The beauty of this device is not only that it is small and requires no installation but that it directly addresses the problem you wish to solve. That is, you do not really want to rebroadcast a phone signal in your trailer nor access the usually low speed and insecure park wifi. You want your own high speed wifi that can be used by any of your devices including your phone. You will be able to make phone calls also by using ATT wifi calling, at least if you have an Iphone. There is no setup either. Simply power up the unit and it works displaying all relevant info on its color screen.

It is true that your phone or Ipad will also create a hotspot but not anything like as well as this device. I have several of each and their recievers are much much weaker than the dedicated hotspot.

So, get an ATT hotspot and job done.
This seems like a great option if indeed it indeed "amplifies" the connection when used as a "hotspot" also with the extra data included. I talked with ATT just now and it requires adding a 3rd line with all the extra charges involved, but you can get 10GB to 100GB/month line; the 10gb minimum would be $30/month plus $20 for addition of extra line...I currently have a 3+3GB with my 2 lines for 6GB total...went over first time this past month while using one phone as hotspot for streaming Firestick while in Borrego Springs... they automatically sent me a warning I was over my 6GB data limit and added a $15/GB extra charge coming on next bill. I am going to visit the ATT store also on trade ins now...they said they will apply credit on old Samsung phone to this if I choose to purchase...we shall see.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I went with WeBoost and a hot spot. Keep in mind that the campground internet is not secure so if you are doing on line banking, etc you will want your own secure network
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote