Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Check Best Buy they have a number of different kinds of boosters, also what youíre looking for is available at most truck stops. I bought one and it will run 4 different devices at once, but thatís depending on the strength of the signal. Iíve used it in places where no one else can get a cell phone signal let alone anything else, and they coming over to my trailer to send messages.

cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Our experience is that all park wi-fi is pretty crummy, except at 3 a.m. when no one is online using it. The problem is that it is a shared resource and most parks don’t have a big enough data pipe supplying it to keep everyone going at much above dial-up speeds. So, there’s no fancy wi-fi antenna or box that is going to fix that. We did have a cellular signal booster installed in our trailer, which has an outside receiving antenna and an inside antenna in the trailer. It will boost a marginal signal to a usable one, but if there’s no signal, it’s not gonna help. We use our cell phone or our cellular-enabled iPad to generate a WiFi signal inside the trailer that feeds our laptop. Works fine for everything including streaming video.
Be sure your booster uses the same frequencies as your cellular provider and that it’s 4G LTE, not 3G. Carriers are phasing out their 3G cell sites. Right now, 5G is vaporware so I wouldn’t worry about it. I certainly wouldn’t spend a dollar on something that claimed to improve WiFi.
On that score, some parks prohibit streaming on their WiFi; and it is possible for their equipment to detect high data rates (from streaming) and shut off that connection. Other parks with somewhat sophisticated WiFi systems will simply not accept new connections if the system’s capacity is maxed out.

DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseAir View Post
I have a 25 foot FBT and have solved this exact problem to my complete satisfaction. Pick up an ATT ďUnite Express 2Ē mobile hotspot at your local ATT store. This small little unit has a receiver that is remarkably better than the one in your phone or Ipad. It will take a one bar ATT signal as shown on your phone and convert it to a strong WiFi signal covering your entire trailer and a good sized area near it outside.

It works very well from inside the trailer. I set mine on the top of the couch near the door. The best location for you will depend on where you are parked relative to the local cell tower. It has a good sized battery that will last at least 8 hours. You can charge it or run it from an external phone charger.

The unit has provision for connecting an external antenna. I have tried a small patch antenna mounted with suction cups to the outside of the trailer. I quit doing this as I have found it to function perfectly well with the internal antenna.

The beauty of this device is not only that it is small and requires no installation but that it directly addresses the problem you wish to solve. That is, you do not really want to rebroadcast a phone signal in your trailer nor access the usually low speed and insecure park wifi. You want your own high speed wifi that can be used by any of your devices including your phone. You will be able to make phone calls also by using ATT wifi calling, at least if you have an Iphone. There is no setup either. Simply power up the unit and it works displaying all relevant info on its color screen.

It is true that your phone or Ipad will also create a hotspot but not anything like as well as this device. I have several of each and their recievers are much much weaker than the dedicated hotspot.

So, get an ATT hotspot and job done.
This seems like a great option if indeed it indeed "amplifies" the connection when used as a "hotspot" also with the extra data included. I talked with ATT just now and it requires adding a 3rd line with all the extra charges involved, but you can get 10GB to 100GB/month line; the 10gb minimum would be $30/month plus $20 for addition of extra line...I currently have a 3+3GB with my 2 lines for 6GB total...went over first time this past month while using one phone as hotspot for streaming Firestick while in Borrego Springs... they automatically sent me a warning I was over my 6GB data limit and added a $15/GB extra charge coming on next bill. I am going to visit the ATT store also on trade ins now...they said they will apply credit on old Samsung phone to this if I choose to purchase...we shall see.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I went with WeBoost and a hot spot. Keep in mind that the campground internet is not secure so if you are doing on line banking, etc you will want your own secure network

Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote