Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Weatherproof CAT5 connector box

I was wondering if anyone makes an external outlet for an Ethernet connection. I am going to run CAT5 cable to the trailer so I can hook my laptop to it and have full high speed network access to the house and my server. I will be able to watch anything on my media center computers including movies and also stream stuff off my DISH Hopper. For now I will just run the wire through the fridge access door to the entertainment center but it would be nice to have a legit connection outside with a weather proof cover. I guess I can put a female connector on the end of the pigtail that is inside the fridge door. It would stay out of the weather that way but would not be mud dauber proof.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Something like this? http://www.vpi.us/waterproof-rj45.html
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You will need to shield that Cat 5 8 conductor cable. That has 8 lengths of wire that will serve as antennas to bring in RF energy from a nearby lightening strike. I had that experience with RS-232 data lines between two buildings and the repairs were expensive.....

Furrion has cable connectors for the trailers and that might be the best answer as co-ax is shielded. You would then need a cable modem and a router with WiFi generation capabilities in the trailer.

Check this as a start:

Furrion Store | Electrical | Power Cordsets

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Why not use WiFi and skip the Cat5? You can use a "WiFi-as-WAN" wireless router in your Airstream to connect to your home WiFi router, then connect your laptop and media center to the "WiFi-as-WAN" router in your Airstream using CAT5 or WiFi.

CradlePoint, Wilson, PepWave and several other manufacturers make routers that can use WiFi instead of a CAT5 cable for the WAN (Internet) connection. You'll just be connecting (via WiFi) to the cable or DSL router in your home, instead of the free WiFi signal in a campground, or at McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.

The link below is to a YouTube video on a comparison test for three of these routers. Please note that this video is a couple of years old, so I am sure there are newer models available. However, it will give you an idea of how this setup works:

Note: I own a PepWave Surf-On-The-Go (SOTG) "WiFi-as-WAN" router, and have no affiliation with 3Gstore other than being a satisfied customer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Why not use WiFi and skip the Cat5?
That depends on what you want to do. Hardwired connections usually can carry a larger bandwidth than wireless, and if you're streaming high-def videos or something, you'll want all the bandwidth you can get.

But if all you're doing is checking e-mails and updating Facebook pages or something equally low-bandwidth, WiFi will be more than fast enough.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
We use shielded ethernet weather proof connectors all over our aircraft. I can check for you. I'm not sure if they are Mil Spec or not, if they are it will jump the price.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Thanks Gary I think one of those will work.

I already have WiFi at home but the Airstream is a Faraday cage and will block a lot of the signal unless I am close to a window facing the router. I also want bandwidth so I can stream stuff off the server. It is less work at this point to mess with routers than to just hard wire it. I can and might put a router inside the trailer for wireless devices but it will be fed from the Ethernet cable coming in. For the short run, I will probably rig something but it is nice to have a plan. I am going to pull the skin behind the entertainment center at some point and fix some skin issues and pull the stinky pink stuff out. I would also like to replace the bulkhead between the entertainment center and the fridge with real wood. In the mean time, I need to figure out if I am going to put a dinette in or leave the gaucho. I am not thrilled with the functionality of the gaucho layout.

For the short run, I need a place with internet to hide from the mother in law. Last night I went under the house and ran the cable I need. I will just need to put connectors on each end and I am done. My knee still hurts from banging it on the frame surrounding the orifice that leads under that house. You should have seen me trying to wiggle through that opening. I felt like Santa trying to get down a chimney.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Weatherproof CAT5 connector box

Try JAFE technology. Great WiFi kit for RV's
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Tsunami can't seem to find a google match on JAFE technology. Can you elaborate?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Try http://www.jefatech.com/
Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of your mother in law?

Just saying......
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote