Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Vu Cube

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this portable satellite? It's kind of pricey, $699 at Camping World. Seems like a nice compormise between the roof mounts which won't work if your A/S is in the shade and the tripod and dish setups that can be difficult to get aligned...If anybody has any experience with one of these I'd like to hear there experience with it.. :-)
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We got one several months ago...we used it with our truck camper before our 'new' AS arrived!

We have Dish Network, and it picks up the sat's just fine after you get it aligned. It only has a single LNB, so you can only aim at one Sat at a time. There is a memory feature to store the info for two Sats...so after the initial aiming, you can hit a button to go from one Sat to another. The problem with Dish, is that when you move the LNB to the other sat, the system has to find the signal and it takes about 3-5 mins!

I made up my own list of which channels are on which Sat, the 110 or the 119 sats. You can also pick up the 129 HD sat if you need to, but you can only memorize tow sats.

To do the initial set up takes about 5-10 mins, depending on how accurate you are at setting the qube in a level and 'north' aligned position. You then get the Sat alignment info from your Dish installation screen and use the qube's wireless remote control to move the antenna to pick up the signals. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to set up, and you only have the coax lead from your RV out to the qube.

All in all it's a great antenna for use when your roof top antenna is blocked. It's also a great Sat antenna for smaller RV's where you don't have the roof space, or if you are visiting someplace and just want Sat coverage.

After reading info on RV.net, I took the qube cover off and installed a 'U' shaped, stainless steel u-bolt through the 'handle' part so that I can run a locking cable through it for security.

I installed a new Winegard Trav'ler on our AS, and it works like a charm! It's large dish reflector and three LNBs allow great signal strength, and it even tweeks the 'slew' angle for best signal!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Thanks for the reply Mexray. I have DirecTV, but I don't think it's that much different, the only thing I've heard is that it's not possible at this time to get Hi-Def in DirecTV with the Vu Cube, but that really isn't a big issue for me. I've also considered the Wineguard Traveler, but am unsure that I want anything mounted on the roof of the AS and am sure what it would take to run the cableing to get that to work. The cube sounds a good alternative without having to modify the AS.
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Well...you pays your money, and you takes your choice...

The Vuqube is about half the price of the Trav'ler..

As far a mounting the Trav'ler goes, it was not all that difficult. I removed the original fold up TV antenna...our Ambassador had the old type with all the alum elements...looked like a nest of alum sticks!

I riveted a patch to cover the old antenna mounting hole. I mounted the Trav'ler right over this patch...it's attached with a circle of screws.

I made the hole for the cables near the forward vent opening so I could get to it...then I figured out how the center interior skin is removable to get at the wiring...It's our first AS, so still discovering things! I pulled down the panel only in the front, enough to gain access where I needed it...just a few small rivets to drill out.

The Trav'ler uses one control cable and you can run up to three coax cables. I ran only two coax cables...and will use the 2nd for future use in the bedroom. Trav'ler supplies a rooftop plate to cover the cables where they go through the roof's skin...lots of sealant here!

I had saved the original TV twin lead from the antenna, and luckily was able to use it to 'snake' (pull) the three cables from the Trav'ler in the fwd nose, down to the outlet inside the cabinet on the curb side, forward.

We call the Trav'ler our 'Transformer'...kinda neat to hit the button and watch it raise up from it's stowed position, rotate, unfold some more, rotate and hunt for the Sat signals...takes several minutes as it's geared so low, it moves slowly.

We're not big TV nuts, but it's cool to be able tune in some of the big sporting events on weekends if we're out in the sticks!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
I've also been looking into getting satellite tv for when I am boondocking up in Washington state this summer.
I saw the QuVube is cheaper at Amazon.com then camping world and you don't pay for the shipping.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
We purchased a Vue Cube last year and haven't had much chance to use it. We are on Direct TV and it is a lot like Dish Network. If you need tech support it is the luck of the draw if you get a tech that knows what you are talking about. We purchased ours through Discount RV for much less than $699. Julianne, give Lou an e-mail and ask her for the email address (Give Hannah and Rex a hug for us. Hunter is still tired). It is much more convenient than paying for a system on top of your TT.

Bob and Lou
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC

WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748

"Life is an adventure, live it to its fullest."
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Thanks Bob! I am not in a huge hurry to buy one, doing research now. Sandy mentioned something called "Vibe" but I can not find any info on it. I think she was thinking of what you & Lou have.

Poor Hunter, so much excitement with all the pooches at the Rally. Rex & Hannah are exhausted too. They go out, lay in the sun, come back in and crash where ever they land.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Just bought a Winegard Carryout Auto RV Satellite Winegard Carryout Portable Automatic RV Satellite Antenna Di.. for $764.38 with shipping (and it's $30 cheaper now than just 3 weeks ago, dang!) I used it this last weekend. Worked great! Everyday a storm rolled in and afterwords all I could hear was the scream of satellite finders. I took it out and sat it on the ground, plugged it in. It made some noise and at the third spot I missed all the trees and had TV, never touched it again. Reprogrammed the box (from the house) and got the same 'local' TV as I get at home. (outside the scope of my understanding). The wife was happy. She watched TV, I went on long bicycle rides. Got to figure a way/place to put a 12VDC plug and J-connector on the outside so I don't have to run the wires out the window.
Tried to leave Tuesday and ended up on the end of a tow truck cable for about 30 feet. The 'Silver Bullet' will sink like a rock on wet ground.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
I have a vuCube VQ2000 and have been happy with the performance to date. Takes awhile (anywhere from 3-10 minutes) to find a signal but happy after that. Just picked up an adapter at Radio Shack to connect the control unit directly to 12V system when dry-camping rather than use the power supply that comes with the unit and an inverter (why waste energy turning 12V DC into 110V AC so you can plug in a transformer that changes it back to 12V DC!). Very long wait on hold for tech support to confirm I could do this though, once I got someone on the phone, he was very helpful. Mounted DirecTV converter on the underside of the dinette table of my 25' FB International upside down and near the stereo subwoofer so it's close to the satellite/cable entry under the dinette. Stows neatly out of the way and just means pointing the cable remote backwards toward the dinette when I want to change channels In open space with clear southern view, had no problems getting DirecTV Plus sats; have been in wooded areas a couple of times and, even though i tried in what I thought was a clear area, the unit didn't pick up any signals.
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote