Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 View Post
One last thing, look for a VPN provider that does NOT save their router/server VPN logs. Keeps the government from getting access to your browser history.
I was with you until this part.
Regardless of the rules or laws, if the government wants it, they will, get it. And your provider will give it to them if needed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Josh, this makes sense for information that you're accessing via secure sites. However, I don't want anyone sniffing around in my computer. I have work product that could conceivably be accessible without a browser's involvement. For me the added security is well worth the cost and inconvenience.

Having VPN software on your machine is NOT the same as firewall software to protect your local machine. The only way to ensure protection on your local machine is to never connect it to the internet (or use a Mac :-) ).

VPNs privatize and secure the traffic, but do not protect the machine itself. Connect to a public wifi and the VPN will not help you in that regard.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
If I'm running a VPN tunnel, the intruder must encrypt and de-encrypt my packets knowing my SSH keys? Doesn't this add a significant barrier to any type of access?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #64

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
If I'm running a VPN tunnel, the intruder must encrypt and de-encrypt my packets knowing my SSH keys? Doesn't this add a significant barrier to any type of access?
IF your local machine is configured to allow ONLY outside connections that go through the VPN, then while you're connected to the VPN you'd be theoretically safe. If your machine is misconfigured, though, there may be other attack vectors open to a hacker. Running a local firewall is a good idea, because even if properly configured there may be times your machine is connected to a public network but not yet tunneled into a VPN.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Having VPN software on your machine is NOT the same as firewall software to protect your local machine. The only way to ensure protection on your local machine is to never connect it to the internet (or use a Mac :-) ).

VPNs privatize and secure the traffic, but do not protect the machine itself. Connect to a public wifi and the VPN will not help you in that regard.
So I'm to understand that a VPN is not effective in concealing my activity on public WiFi?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:

Yes, but a legitimate HTTPS website is already encapsulating your data stream (just to that website) using the same technology.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
So I'm to understand that a VPN is not effective in concealing my activity on public WiFi?

Yes it will, however the statement was made that he didn't want people sniffing around his personal PC because of sensitive work documents. A VPN does not provide that level of protection.

Think of a VPN like an armored car - it protects your data in transit. But it doesn't do anything about protecting the bank vault.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Yes, but a legitimate HTTPS website is already encapsulating your data stream (just to that website) using the same technology.
Are you saying that if I'm already using HTTPS connections via my browser, that a VPN tunnel offers no additional security that would prevent an outside hacker to access other resources in my computer?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Are you saying that if I'm already using HTTPS connections via my browser, that a VPN tunnel offers no additional security that would prevent an outside hacker to access other resources in my computer?

In short - yes.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
I agree with some of what Joshjack says, but consider this. When you are at an HTTPS web site you are safe, BUT, you could have been hijacked before you arrive at that site if you are on a public network. The VPN is a tunnel between you and another computer. The protection doesn't extend beyond that.

For example, if you have a VPN connection to your work or bank and then you have access to go through that connection by browser to a web site. The VPN can't protect you because you have left the protected tunnel. (Most VPN connections won't allow you to go out to the Internet after you have established the tunnel, so it's most likely not an issue.)

Another example would be if you are on a public WiFi connection, check your email, do some browsing, etc. and then go to an HTTPS connection, you may already be compromised before arriving at the secure site.

So it's best to avoid any public WiFi if at all possible. I do use it but only like stores I happen to be in, like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If you're out somewhere and see a hotspot like "FreeWifi" or "PublicWifi", something that looks suspicious, it's probably someone that's looking to get into your computer.

If you don't have the option to use your cell phone as a hot spot, I recommend the Verizon Jet Pack ($50 for the hardware) with "pay as you go" access. It's a secure (albeit somewhat expensive) connection. I use one when I'm away from home and I don't have to worry so much.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Rich for this overview -- very helpful!

For everyone's information, here is a recent Verizon thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ed-162643.html

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I am very happy with PIA

i have used it for years. all around the world
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote