Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Millville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
In February, while wintering in Key West, I added the " Hotspot" to my Verizon plan. They tell me that the Jetpack option would be a 4G connection and that the hotspot is a 3G and that the jetpack would be much faster. So far for me the hotspot has proven to be sufficient but I'll hang on to the jetpack option if I change my mind on that. I don't know if the security aspect is any different between the 2 options. But so far the hotspot has worked well for me.
I think this depends on the model of your iphone. I know my 5s uses a 4g connection when using it as a hotspot. Earlier versions of iOS only supported 3g. I think the iphone 5 had 4g and all the models before were limited to 3g - not 100% sure which one went to 4g.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
FYI, We had 2-smart phones with VZ and used the 4G phone as a mobile hot spot for a while. Then discovered it was less expensive to get a 4g LTE Jetpack than using a phone to be a "HOT SPOT". Who knew? We keep upgrading phones but he Jetpack is still working great after 2 years. Call Verizon and compare options. See if they have a plan that will work for your budget.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have about 10 years of experience with Verizon data plans and various USB connection devices and Jetpacks or their equal. My words of wisdom (ha) are these:

1. Plans are constantly changing as is available equipment. What I have now is not necessarily what you can get if you are looking to sign up. Plans and equipment come and go very rapidly. Verizon's "grandfathered" plans are especially flakey, and they have lots of ways of removing you from them. So, don't think that a any plan mentioned here on the Forum is one which you can get if you go to sign up.

2. The best source of Verizon information is generally a genuine Verizon store, that is one which is company owned, not a franchise operation. Ask when you go in the store if at all unsure. Although not perfect, Verizon company stores seem to give the best and most current information on their rates and plans and products. I have had some sad and pathetic information from non company stores, where I was told totally incorrect information so the sales staff could make a sale. One even told me that all cell signals now go by satellite and so I would always get a signal wherever I was in the United States. How I wish. I left that place quickly.

3. If using a lot of data, or if you think you can download movies or even a lot of You Tube clips you will find out how expensive things can be and how rapidly you can go through your data allowance. I have found the average cost per GB of data is about $10 when delivered over the cell network. That is not cheap. If you are used to unlimited data on a home DSL or Cable net access, be careful of your expectations on a cell network. You may be shocked at your usage and costs.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think you're correct ESLOSER. I have an older Iphone4 so that might explain the 3G connection. So far it works for me so, All's well.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Best Buy currently has IPad minis with 32GB and wifi for $279 with a 2 year Verizon contract.

The mini can then replace the JetPack and serve as a hotspot for other devices without the lessening of service found when using your phone as the hotspot.

If you're in the market......

Maggie
Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Picked up the new mini yesterday, and love it.

Very fast, small and no jet pack to carry and charge.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Is the Jetpack best for general internet and not streaming due to the high streaming data usage?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #22
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
3. If using a lot of data, or if you think you can download movies or even a lot of You Tube clips you will find out how expensive things can be and how rapidly you can go through your data allowance. I have found the average cost per GB of data is about $10 when delivered over the cell network. That is not cheap. If you are used to unlimited data on a home DSL or Cable net access, be careful of your expectations on a cell network. You may be shocked at your usage and costs.
Great advice.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Just a word of caution on the Jetpack. I have been using a Jetpack for Internet access at home for 3 or 4 years now. Gave up on satellite Internet due do slow speeds and unreliability.

The Jetpack is great but if you leave it plugged in 24/7 over time the batteries start to swell. I'm now on my third battery pack.

So if you leave the Jetpack plugged in for long durations please monitor the battery pack.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Millenicom Mobile Broadband (Cellular Network) Service

FYI, Millenicom is back in business; but they are now a T-Mobile reseller (previously with Verizon).

If T-Mobile's coverage area fits your needs, some of Millenicom's plans appear to provide streaming at no, or reduced, cost. However, I personally do not stream movies and videos, and prefer Verizon's wider coverage, especially in the West.

Millenicom.com

Note: I have no affiliation with Millenicom, except as a former satisfied customer.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have both Verizon and AT&T. Verizon is far superior. With both you do have to watch your usage. I do little or no streaming but now days you are forced to watch a short commercial to get to a new story that you might be interested in. Both are a rip off as is SAT TV but we are stuck.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Just a word of caution on the Jetpack. I have been using a Jetpack for Internet access at home for 3 or 4 years now. Gave up on satellite Internet due do slow speeds and unreliability.

The Jetpack is great but if you leave it plugged in 24/7 over time the batteries start to swell. I'm now on my third battery pack.

So if you leave the Jetpack plugged in for long durations please monitor the battery pack.

Brad
What is your model of Jetpack?

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Is the Jetpack best for general internet and not streaming due to the high streaming data usage?
A typical streaming movie is about 4.5 gb. The Jetpack pay-as-you-go for 10 gb is $100. When I first started using the Jetpack, I thought I was doing pretty good, I was only going to be on the road for 5-6 weeks. I got the 10 gb package and after a couple of weeks the usage was very low for 3 laptops and 2 smartphones. We watched a movie and the next usage check showed us past the 5 gb mark. That was a very expensive movie.

Now we have our media player and ripped DVDs from home for entertainment or we just use the over the air TV stations wherever we are.

If you have Windows you need to disable the automatic updates too (Windows 10 prevents this only by the wireless connection) and set your security preferences to not automatically download and play the advertisements. Ad Block Plus is very helpful in controlling usage.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Understand streaming eats up bandwidth. How is the Jetpack for downloading iTunes movies we already own from the cloud?