Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Here are some good tips on saving data use.
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-sa...hone-and-ipad/

I don't know much about these matters but sure learned a good deal recently. Ive followed most of the tips in the link. We shall see how much it helps.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Maggie,
Looks like you use an iPhone and iPad. Don't know if someone else mentioned this yet, but you can go to Settings- General- Background App Refresh and turn off all or just choose the apps you will allow to refresh (use data) in the background. Here's an article showing ways to reduce data usage.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.howto...?client=safari

On a related note, I had been doing the 'swipe up' quitting of background apps as a strategy of housekeeping to preserve battery life for quite some time as I'm sure many people here do, but that turns out to be mostly superstition. Here's an article stating that Apple (the chief iOS engineer in fact) says quitting background apps isn't necessary.
Even apps that do background refreshing do it only occasionally and would have a negligible effect on battery life.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-exec...-battery-life/

I'm lucky in that I still have my original unlimited data plan (not cheap) but never have to think about data. It will come in handy when our Basecamp gets delivered in the spring!

By the way Maggie, I love reading your posts!

Safe travels,
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Rich, and I have been diligent about keeping cellular data off for apps I am not using.

As I seldom use my iPhone for anything but talking and text, I have just turned Safari, Mail, etc., off on there, as well...can always turn them on if I need them.

I suspect it is this Video and Gaming category, which has to have recently changed, that is the culprit, and I intend to get to the bottom of it.

If I click on an NBC or CNN news article, which includes a video that I don't open and watch, this should not be categorized as Video, in my opinion.

Nor Gaming for switching from one article to another.

Particularly, if these minutes are charged at a higher rate of usage.

I'm going to watch my stats for a few days, and will report back.

Maggie
Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Also check to see it you are automatically backing every picture, message, text etc. up to the Cloud. My new phone did a 2.6g back up the first night it was on. Have since switched the ICloud access off.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #25
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've got some apps that came from a gen 3 iPod, on my new iPhone, every time I use say the level app I get a screen that states my cell won't access unless I turn on cell access in settings.
Why do I need cell access to run an app that has no need for cell access? How do I kill those pop ups?
I use my computer as data backup for my iPod, iPad, iPhone, nothing in the cloud. I bought an unlocked 128 gig so I don't have to go to the cloud for my music and such. Those small memory phones target the up and down cell data use.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, not surprisingly, my biggest data user, by a landslide, is Safari.

I also suspect that the final install of this last upgrade took the big chunk of data that recently had me thru 3GB in less than a week.

I need to watch to only do those when connected to wifi.

I think wifi assist was on, also suspect using my map functions ate a lot of data early in this trip, and am going to keep PocketEarth off cellular as much as possible from here on out....it saves maps for offline use, and still tracks my locations in real time, even when not connected to cellular, so no need....

It wants to be connected to cellular, as with your apps, CDONA, but it isn't required for use.

I am keeping Google off unless using it, and have turned of almost everything on my phone...I can turn on Mail, Safari, etc., for the rare occasions I check those on the phone...then, back off.

Not interested in $$$ phone bills when traveling.

Thanks for all the tips, folks.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I also Skype with darling daughter and sweet SIL most Sundays, and my son/grands periodically when traveling...another data eater.

Going to keep those a little more brief...

Maggie
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My wife and I experienced a similar situation when we got our Verizon Jetpack. Being an IT guy I knew we wouldn't need any more than 4GB on any given month. Then we used 4GB in 2 days.

That's when I learned about the data hungry nature of iOS devices.

I had to turn several things off, starting with automatic app updates. I have some apps that are 2GB in size, and if they decided to update, that's 2GB right there. There's app updates almost every day.

I then had to turn automatic iCloud backup off. That overnight backup can be several GB.

We also turned off iCloud syncing of our photo library. I hate losing this feature, but we take a lot of pictures and constantly syncing them with iCloud eats up way too much data.

I was also very careful about not leaving any app running when not using my devices.

We finally got our usage under "control", but we still use 8-10GB per month. iOS devices are very "chatty". I had never realized that before since I mostly used them at home where I have wifi. It's the price we pay for having the cool new toys.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found that adding wifi at home was much less expensive than maintaining on
Y a data plan with Verizon.

I keep mine at 2 GB of cellular when at home, just to cover the phone and other time away, and the home wifi takes care of everything else....plus, I can watch movies, Skype as long as I want, etc., as it is unlimited.

Always learning something new.

Maggie
Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Maggie,
On a related note, I had been doing the 'swipe up' quitting of background apps as a strategy of housekeeping to preserve battery life for quite some time as I'm sure many people here do, but that turns out to be mostly superstition. Here's an article stating that Apple (the chief iOS engineer in fact) says quitting background apps isn't necessary.
Even apps that do background refreshing do it only occasionally and would have a negligible effect on battery life.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-exec...-battery-life/

Rich
Both my iPhone and iPad have the minimal amount of memory, a mistake which my daughter pointed out recently since, with the new AT&T Next plan, the max memory units are only a few dollars more a month.

While those background apps may not take much battery power, I think they use memory. It has been my experience that, if I have a lot of those apps in suspense, the performance is degraded. Closing those apps speeds things up.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We use Verizon but being at home most of the time we are on Wifi. However, our last trip to Montana we used GPS from mine and my wife's iPhones and we exceeded our 2g shared data plan after that trip and had to pay the additional charge on the following bill.

Kelvin
Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I noticed the other day, when visiting a web page that had an imbedded video in it, it loaded the video (taking data), even though it didn't play the video. My usage on my iPhone was 2.5Gb last month. And I never watch any videos when on data only...
Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I do not use verizon cell phone but have jet pack for computer internet. Just changed plan to 8 gig from 5 gig plan, in 10 days used 1.5 over. We do not stream any vids. music etc. 99% email. Before change of plans some mos. went over by 1 or 2 gigs not every mo. We use celluar one for 2 cell phones, only for talk no pics. text etc. never use full amt. May be a govt.agency or some private entity should take note of these issues with verizon as to usage being charged. I would drop verizon but only serv. avble. at this time except hard wire ph co. and so far out takes hrs. to send 10 word email. Satellite out of pic as not dependable for wife usage.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #34
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Maggie, sign into your MyVerizon account and activate "Safety Mode." That will prevent you from accidentally being charged for data overages. This feature will still allow you to use cellular data (but at a restricted trickle feed speed) once you hit your account limit for the month and prevent triggering additional charges.

Since you mention Safari being your primary surfing app, be aware that those news sites you visit that contain video are the most likely source of your data usage. Even though you may not 'play' the video, it still downloads to your phone while you are reading the text. Hence the large amount of data consumption. I wish I knew how to prevent the video download via Safari. I suspect there is a method or setting somewhere but a more educated user is needed for that insight. I restrict news site viewing to my Android device where I can turnoff video download and usage via that method is minimal.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Just saw an ad for " no limit data" with Verizon starting tomorrow. May be interesting.
Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for your suggestions, folks.

Rather than using the Safety Mode, I have an alert set up to notify me when data is getting low...when I am at 25% and 10%.

I can add data, which I have twice this trip , or monitor/reduce usage, depending on how far I am from the biling period ending,

I have to have data while traveling, just need to be highly cognizant of what is using it and act accordingly.

Rather than an hour or so Skype with daughter yesterday, we did about 15 minutes.

There should be a way to turn off videos loading, unless I click on them....going to call tech support and see what they tell me.

Maggie
Old 02-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Maggie, please let us know what tech support tells you. I have a sneaky suspicion I already know what that will be, thoiugh...

I just read this article. Interesting...
https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/15/ios-1...ayback-safari/
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I turn data off in my Verizon phone.
You don't use data for phone calls or when you're on wi-fi.
If I need it, I turn it on and after using it, turn it off again.
Verizon is pretty slippery when it comes to pricing. Don't believe anything the salesperson tells you on the phone, they're there to sell.

BTW, I'm thinking of dumping Verizon, what carriers do you find adequate?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
My phone started gobbling up data a few months ago. My big culprit was Gmail. Can't remember how I did it but I was able to turn many of the features of Gmail off. This really cut back on data consumption. Then I deleted all apps I never used.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I turn data off in my Verizon phone.
You don't use data for phone calls or when you're on wi-fi.
If I need it, I turn it on and after using it, turn it off again.
Verizon is pretty slippery when it comes to pricing. Don't believe anything the salesperson tells you on the phone, they're there to sell.

BTW, I'm thinking of dumping Verizon, what carriers do you find adequate?
Hmmm...thanks for that, didn't realize I could turn data off completely on my phone.

Going to call Verizon today about the video issue...

Maggie