Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Verizon brings back unlimited

Verizon is bringing back unlimited plans: http://gizmodo.com/verizon-brings-ba...ont-1792279222

For reference, we have 4 phones and 2 hotspots on our business plan. I'm a heavy user and one of the hotspots is the sole internet at a family home with heavy web users (no streaming). We do fine on 36GB a month. At our home where streaming video is our only source of TV and we often have it on for background noise, we run 200-400GB a month.

I know some don't like Verizon, but for my money their coverage and speed is worth it. This unlimited option is just perfect for some people.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs down

The cake is a lie.

Only 10GB hotspot use. The GOTCHA is in the details. Like T-Mobile's Simple Choice unlimited.

http://www.businessinsider.com/veriz...nounced-2017-2
Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thumbs down Let them eat cake!

So, Verizon's new plan is (1) still expensive and (2) useless.

We're on one of Verizon's other fixed data plans that allows one month of rollover and has "no surprises" (e.g. cuts us off instead of running over and charging us a bundle of extra $). It's enough data for now, but I was really hopeful when I saw this headline.

Like the OP, we use Verizon because of their coverage. We also wish they had an easily available genuinely unlimited data plan.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The cake is a lie.

Only 10GB hotspot use. The GOTCHA is in the details. Like T-Mobile's Simple Choice unlimited.

http://www.businessinsider.com/veriz...nounced-2017-2
Yes, but it's not clear if that affects hotspot mode on a phone; or an actual dedicated hotspot line. Of course they may not let you have a hotspot line with unlimited.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We currently have a Verizon plan with unlimited data. We have this from an old plan that we have had since Verizon has had data plans. For many years our data plan was $30. Since we have the unlimited data plan, they raised our cost to $50 a month last year. Now it looks like we will get another price increase.

We do use our phone to create a hot spot while on the road. We do not use Verizon's hot spot feature. We use an app called Foxfi to create our hot spot.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We do use our phone to create a hot spot while on the road. We do not use Verizon's hot spot feature. We use an app called Foxfi to create our hot spot.
Brian
Can I assume Foxfi uses the unlimited calling feature of your phone to bypass the charges Verizon would apply if you used the same phone as a hot spot?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You are correct, Howie. We have been using the Foxfi app for a number of years. Verizon occasionally tries to block its use, but Foxfi quickly issues a fix for it.

At one time Foxfi was not available on Apple devices, but I don't know if this is still true.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Yes, but it's not clear if that affects hotspot mode on a phone; or an actual dedicated hotspot line. Of course they may not let you have a hotspot line with unlimited.
The plan isn't being offered for their mifi's. Try an add the mifi to it on their website, won't allow it. And try buying a mifi with the plan, won't offer it.

This is wrapped up as a phone plan. You could in theory add a line, and stuff a sim in a mifi, but....

You're also going to experience "network optimization" after you cross 22gb of data.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Connectify

I use Connectify Hot Spot 2017 Max software on my laptop with data SIM. It connects all five of my different devices. Works great.

And yes - the devil is in the details. I haven't found a true "unlimited" data plan from anyone in the US. All plans have wording in the fine details that they "may" restrict or choke throughput for any number of reasons.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We're on one of Verizon's other fixed data plans that allows one month of rollover and has "no surprises" (e.g. cuts us off instead of running over and charging us a bundle of extra $). It's enough data for now, but I was really hopeful when I saw this headline
It gets worse for mid-tier users who don't need unlimited data or for those who are not full timers and whose data needs swing greatly from month to month.

Verizon has eliminated all fixed plans above Large (12 GB). So one is now limited in how they can manage their rollover data by strategically switching plans each month.

Verizon rollover data cannot accumulate over time but must be used the following month and only after the contracted data has been used up first. When on the road, I can manage with 20 GB per month. So I sign up for XXL plan which gives me 24 GB and roll over 4 GB to the next month where I have switched down to XL plan at 16 GB. All for a cost less than unlimited. I won't be able to do that any more, so it's going to cost me more to go to unlimited when I am on the road.

Note, those who are not currently on obsoleted plans (greater than Large) will be grandfathered as long as they stay on their plan.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to synapticon
Here's the link to rvmobileinternet.com that is a comprehensive explanation of what is happening at Verizon: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/veri...-some-catches/

Chris and Cherie really stay on top of mobile communications of all types. I have found them to be the "go to" researchers in this realm.
ProPride

For those who understand, things are as they are. For those who don't understand, things are as they are.
synapticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Always a catch,

"4G LTE only. We may manage your network usage to ensure a quality experience for all customers, and may prioritize your data behind some Verizon customers during times/places of network congestion. Not available for machine-to-machine services. Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10GB/month; domestic data roaming at 2G speeds; int'l data reduced to 2G speeds after 500MB/day. If more than 50% of your talk, text or data usage in a 60-day period is in Canada or Mexico, use of those services in those countries may be removed or limited. Discounts not available."

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks for the heads up, I went and got switched over to this plan today.
This will save me about $30 a month for more data use.

Will have to see how it works for streaming TV and movies.
Which I haven't tried before, so thanks for the related details.
I'm especially hoping for access to F1 and endurance sports car racing, not able to watch now.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Also keep in mind ATT has unlimited.

Signing up for DirectTV Now and streaming it does not count towards your data cap.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
Also keep in mind ATT has unlimited.

Signing up for DirectTV Now and streaming it does not count towards your data cap.

The new ATT unlimited plan costs more than the Verizon plan.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, they've added unlimited but eliminated their 12GB plan...you go from 8GB to 16, unless they have since eliminated that as well.

Trying to get into my own account since they have rolled this out, the only plan option I have been able to access, repeatedly, is the new unlimited.

"A glitch in the system" I'm told, when I call,

Additionally, they don't allow the employer discount on the unlimited plan, telling me I would save $.21 by switching.

I am still a loyal Verizon member, but I hate some of this crap.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #17

Verizon brings back unlimited

We're on Verizon's 16GB plan as well. Didn't see that on their list of plan options anymore. However, I just had a radical thought. If each phone is limited to 10GB as a hot spot and our "Internet device" (a Cradlepoint LTE router) is limited the same way, then maybe we could hotspot up to 30 GB / month on our account. I will have to ask.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
On all plans "unlimited" is true, sort of. If you're a heavy user, they slow down your download rate.
There's only so much bandwidth to service everyone.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
As I said in my original post - a heavy video streaming user, using VoD services instead of traditional TV is probably going to run 200-500 GB a month.

So this talk of 22GB limits is really only practical for weekend warriors.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
As I said in my original post - a heavy video streaming user, using VoD services instead of traditional TV is probably going to run 200-500 GB a month.

So this talk of 22GB limits is really only practical for weekend warriors.
Spot on correct, of course. Guilty as charged, we're mostly weekend warriors. Even when we do go on longer trips, we don't stream video for the reason you noted above.