Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Ookla, the makers of Speedtest.net, have a really nice app for the iPhone/iPad as well. You can test your wifi or cellular connection.

However, if I'm using my laptop I prefer www.fast.com.
Thats a good one to. They all basically do the same thing. If your on a cellular you should run it a couple times over a time period. RF communications vary greatly from so many factors its silly. Then cell phone providers intentionally bank on the fact that not everyone will be on at the same time.

powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I bit the bullet and went with the unlimited plan as I purchased the Galaxy S8+. So far I am over 15 GB on my Jetpack and it's still really quick. So the part about Verizon throttling you based on tower load appears to actually be true.

Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Zybane - did you buy an activate your galaxy phone, then added your jetpack to the account with it's own SIM card?

Or when you need a hotspot, do you take the SIM card out of your phone and swap it into your jetpack to get it online?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
"Unlimited" data is dead. Verizon may have sold you on the idea, but what they promise is you won't go over your monthly limit.
As you use more and more data (streaming) they slow down the speed.
Blame Netflix which, I hear, uses 1/3 of all the available bandwidth in America.
The pipe is only so big. What happens when everyone in your neighborhood runs their lawn sprinklers at the same time?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Zybane - did you buy an activate your galaxy phone, then added your jetpack to the account with it's own SIM card?

Or when you need a hotspot, do you take the SIM card out of your phone and swap it into your jetpack to get it online?
Two different phone numbers and sims.

So at 36 GB of "unlimited" data at decent speed, I logged on today and there was huge throttling going on. I guess the towers must be at capacity.

It will be interesting to see if my Jetpack gets out of this heavily throttled state.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
36G usage on your jetpack line or both lines combined? Keep us posted on if throttling gets suppressed in the off hours, or if you are toast for the rest of the billing cycle. Very interested in hearing the outcome
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
36GB just on the Jetpack. Great news is that it is back to normal full speed. Props to Verizon for not keeping you throttled once it gets triggered on a busy tower.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hmmm. Sweet! That sounds like a deal!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Antennas on JetPack

Is anyone using an antenna with their JetPack?
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yes, I use a Wilson signal amplifier with external antenna up on the roof. Adds 50db of signal strength (about 1-3 bars). Works well and hardware so into the antenna port on the jetpack for maximum performance.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ok, I'm gonna jump in here where you all will realize how uneducated I am very quickly when it comes to phones, data plans, and computers in general.....please be patient.
I'm a long time user of Verizon. Until just recently my data plan was 24g (or there about) per month. When I saw the unlimited plan become available I got pretty enthused and made the switch without realizing some of the fine print. We use the phone as a hot spot while on the road and tether iPad and laptop for general use, including video steaming.
Rarely do we have more than one device thethered at the same time. So right now I have my iphone, iPad, and a laptop on the road with us and Verizon's unlimited data plan. We really enjoy streaming movies at night on the road (huge TCM tcm fans).

My question is, would adding a jet pack to our set up benefit speed for streaming? Does the jet pack essentially take the place of using my personal hotspot on my phone for connection of tethered devices? Ive read about the jet pack but so much of the information is just over my head in understanding. I'm not quite clear as to what exactly the jet pack does. I would sure appreciate anyone who would try and give me a brief explanation how it might relate to my situation.
We travel in our 1982 310 Turbo diesel Classic Motorhome. Much gratitude for any help!

Mike n Lynn
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Verizon brings back unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
36GB just on the Jetpack. Great news is that it is back to normal full speed. Props to Verizon for not keeping you throttled once it gets triggered on a busy tower.

I just signed up my jetpack for the unlimited plan. It is my understanding hat VZ has just now started enforcing the 10GB data usage limit, at which point speed will be capped at 600bps (about 1/10th - 1/20th of LTE speed)

I was told they had not been enforcing this for the first 2 months of the program, but their systems are now working and they are now starting to enforce the 10GB.

We'll see.

Peter
Old 05-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post

My question is, would adding a jet pack to our set up benefit speed for streaming? Does the jet pack essentially take the place of using my personal hotspot on my phone for connection of tethered devices?

It depends and Yes...

It depends because of a number of variables such as phone model, signal strength, tower congestion, etc. For instance some iPhones are rated for like 35Mbps tethering, while some jet packs get 45-70Mbps. BUT a congested tower might only give you 5-10Mbps to use, so it doesn't matter. Another point is you only need 3-5 to stream video anyway.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thank you Joshjack. I have an older model 5c iPhone. I will find the specs on my model.
So with the jet pack, do you tether your devices to the jet pack as a hot spot rather than using the phone?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Thank you Joshjack. I have an older model 5c iPhone. I will find the specs on my model.
So with the jet pack, do you tether your devices to the jet pack as a hot spot rather than using the phone?

Yes. That's the main reason I keep a jet pack. It supports up to 8, so my wife and I will both have our laptops, both have iPads, and sometimes other devices while we're working remotely.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had Verizon since the beginning, and have used wired tethering to create a hot spot to run our on-line business. We made the switch to wireless several years ago. We elected to use our phones as we didn't want to pay for an extra device. We use the FoxFI app, so there is no extra fee to Verizon for creating a hot spot.

We were under an old unlimited data plan, but recently went to the new unlimited data plan as it saves us $30 month over what we had been paying.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Yes. That's the main reason I keep a jet pack. It supports up to 8, so my wife and I will both have our laptops, both have iPads, and sometimes other devices while we're working remotely.
Thank you, that clears things up a bit.

Mike
Old 05-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I just signed up my jetpack for the unlimited plan. It is my understanding hat VZ has just now started enforcing the 10GB data usage limit, at which point speed will be capped at 600bps (about 1/10th - 1/20th of LTE speed)

I was told they had not been enforcing this for the first 2 months of the program, but their systems are now working and they are now starting to enforce the 10GB.

We'll see.

Peter
Ya that can be very bad for us Verizon RV'ers. 10 GB is nothing these days. I guess we will see how it pans out.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Well it turns out that Verizon has successfully used the bait and switch. Let users run not-capped for a few months on the unlimited plan.

Now at exactly 10GB the door is slammed on you hard. Internet is a trickle on my Jetpack. This plan is no good for full-timers. 10GB is garbage these days, you can use that up in a couple nights of Netflix.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Well it turns out that Verizon has successfully used the bait and switch. Let users run not-capped for a few months on the unlimited plan.

Now at exactly 10GB the door is slammed on you hard. Internet is a trickle on my Jetpack. This plan is no good for full-timers. 10GB is garbage these days, you can use that up in a couple nights of Netflix.

Well I just stayed at a state park that limited you to 200MB and 750kbs for 3 days...