Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Verizon's "unlimited" plan is garbage. 10GB is nothing for hot-spots.

I use about 35 GB per month, and those extra large plans don't exist anymore. I am basically screwed. May have to switch carriers.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Verizon's "unlimited" plan is garbage. 10GB is nothing for hot-spots.

I use about 35 GB per month, and those extra large plans don't exist anymore. I am basically screwed. May have to switch carriers.
I completely agree with that, am just scheming for how I could maybe get more by hot-spotting every device on the plan.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The cake is a lie.

Only 10GB hotspot use. The GOTCHA is in the details. Like T-Mobile's Simple Choice unlimited.

http://www.businessinsider.com/veriz...nounced-2017-2
Incorrect. Just looked into it today. Hotspot OK. 22 gigs on each device you have at full speed. After that it drops back a little on speed. Guy described it to me as the difference in 1080p vs 720p. If you have 4 devices on your bill that would be 88 gigs before they cut your speed any.
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The plan isn't being offered for their mifi's. Try an add the mifi to it on their website, won't allow it. And try buying a mifi with the plan, won't offer it.

This is wrapped up as a phone plan. You could in theory add a line, and stuff a sim in a mifi, but....

You're also going to experience "network optimization" after you cross 22gb of data.
Mifi is available on the unlimited. Was at Verizon store couple hours ago.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahya View Post
Incorrect. Just looked into it today. Hotspot OK. 22 gigs on each device you have at full speed. After that it drops back a little on speed. Guy described it to me as the difference in 1080p vs 720p. If you have 4 devices on your bill that would be 88 gigs before they cut your speed any.
Not sure what you are looking at, but Hotspot is limited to 10 GB in the "unlimited" plan before it throttles. That is a fact. It's right on Verizon's website.

That "other" 12 GB HAS to be used on an untethered phone. IE: it's worthless for most of us.

And no, the difference between full 4G LTE ~30 Mbit per second versus 3G ~600 Kbps is a LOT different than 1080p vs 720p video.

Limiting all tethered/hotspot use to 10GB is a sleazeball move by Verizon.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #26
Ge0
1 Rivet Member

Phenix City , Alabama
I've got the unlimited data plan with a jetpack and thus far I've used 40gb with zero noticing difference and have 2 laptops 1 ipad and 1 Rouku stick plugged into my tv. I've been watching youtube like wildfire and will say I'm satisfied.

Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see how well your speed is
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Limiting all tethered/hotspot use to 10GB is a sleazeball move by Verizon.
I have long searched for a better description of Verizon and you have presented it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
I've got the unlimited data plan with a jetpack and thus far I've used 40gb with zero noticing difference and have 2 laptops 1 ipad and 1 Rouku stick plugged into my tv. I've been watching youtube like wildfire and will say I'm satisfied.

Geo, at 40 GB in can you tell me what numbers you are getting on speedtest.net?

Right now on my "normal" XXL plan I am getting:

Ping-39 ms
Down-25 Mbps
Up-16 Mbps
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I went and got switched over to this plan today.
This will save me about $30 a month for more data use.

Will have to see how it works for streaming TV and movies.
Which I haven't tried before, so thanks for the related details.
I'm especially hoping for access to F1 and endurance sports car racing, not able to watch now.

Cheers Richard
YES I just looked at NASCAR schedule I get 17 out of 38 Monster races,8 out of 33 Xfinity races and only 1 out of 23 Camping World truck races on over the air TV. We have no cable TV in this part of CA only have satellite available.I my have to get Dish satellite since they seem to be the most RV friendly
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #30

Quote:

I'm assuming you are on Verizon's brand new "Unlimited" plan. Correct?

Hey, at this point, given your usage, it would be super-cool if you would go to your accounts page and see what it says now about your data usage vs. any limits, charges, etc.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
So GeO, is your streaming of tv. Via the rouku working on the 3G, for movies or broadcast TV?

I've not had the data capacity for streaming, but hope to be able to with the new plan. So my question, is the 3G level enought for streaming?

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I'd also like to know, once you surpass the 10 GB hotspot/tethered data limit, does the hotspot actually drop down to 3G connection technology or does it just limit the speed but remain on 4G LTE? That can make a big difference, as 3G connection is crap.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #33
Ge0
1 Rivet Member

Phenix City , Alabama
I've checked my account and It says "stream all you want, you've got unlimited data." Nowhere in my settings does it cap my usage or increase any fees. I've contacted Verizon for clarification and also found out by bringing my DD-214 to Verizon I was eligible for a $10 military discount.

I'm currently using my laptop and my wife is on Skype video call to Italy and I'm watching youtube through my Roku stick plugged into my tv. Everything is running great.

currently everything is being used from my home and without any booster the jetpack is sitting on my kitchen table.
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #34

I think I see what's happening regarding the 10GB "limit" for hotspotting. The text actually says, "Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10GB/month," and "We may manage your network usage to ensure a quality experience for all customers, and may prioritize your data behind some Verizon customers during times/places of network congestion"

So it feels like after 10GB in one month on a hotspot they can and will reduce speed to 3G if they feel the need to do it. The fact that it's not happening to you today doesn't does not mean they can't do it tomorrow, or ten minutes from now - for whatever reason (e.g. they might decide your tower's crowded).

In addition, any time they want, they can use their network management capabilities to push you to the back of the queue for access to bandwidth - even if you haven't hit the 10GB hotspot "limit." Doesn't mean they will, but it certainly means they can.

For myself, I'm on hold right now with VZW trying get details on the new Unlimited plan that they simply do not cover on their website.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #35

Spoke with VZW about the plan. They confirmed my interpretation above. Once you've hot-spotted 10GB on a given device, they can and will drop you to 3G speed any time they want, until the next month re-starts your data meter. It's capricious, it's unpredictable, it's Verizon Wireless.

They also confirmed that the 10 GB per month hotspot "limit" is per connected device. So if you had two phones and a JetPack, you could hotspot each device for up to 10GB at 4G speeds, followed by lower 3G speeds on each device if they're in a bad mood, or if your tower is congested.

In our case, switching to "Unlimited" with 3 phones and a MiFi device would raise our phone bill by $40 per month because the only discount on the new plan is for active or retired military (we don't qualify), and the new plan simply costs a little more than the 16GB plan we're on now. So, until we find ourselves regularly pushing the limits on our 16GB plan or our current discount code expires, we'll stay where we are.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Spoke with VZW about the plan. They confirmed my interpretation above. Once you've hot-spotted 10GB on a given device, they can and will drop you to 3G speed any time they want, until the next month re-starts your data meter. It's capricious, it's unpredictable, it's Verizon Wireless.

They also confirmed that the 10 GB per month hotspot "limit" is per connected device. So if you had two phones and a JetPack, you could hotspot each device for up to 10GB at 4G speeds, followed by lower 3G speeds on each device if they're in a bad mood, or if your tower is congested.

In our case, switching to "Unlimited" with 3 phones and a MiFi device would raise our phone bill by $40 per month because the only discount on the new plan is for active or retired military (we don't qualify), and the new plan simply costs a little more than the 16GB plan we're on now. So, until we find ourselves regularly pushing the limits on our 16GB plan or our current discount code expires, we'll stay where we are.
Evidentally Verizon doesn't know their own plan then. I was told yesterday at the local Verizon store no slow down until you hit 22 gigs per device on your plan. I have 4 devices so that would be 88 gigs. He even told me he himself is using the new KODI android box to stream live tv and had already used 60 gigs and service had not slowed down.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahya View Post
Evidentally Verizon doesn't know their own plan then. I was told yesterday at the local Verizon store no slow down until you hit 22 gigs per device on your plan. I have 4 devices so that would be 88 gigs. He even told me he himself is using the new KODI android box to stream live tv and had already used 60 gigs and service had not slowed down.

Actually, we're both right. 22 gigs is the slowdown limit for the phone. 10 gigs is the slowdown limit if you're hot-spotting. I don't know how they differentiate, seems more complicated than would be beneficial for them, but that's the claim. That said, the rep pointed out that these limits merely free them up to slow you down anytime you're above them. Doesn't mean they absolutely will do so if your current tower isn't crowded, but they could do so at any moment. This is an odd way to run a railroad, but that seems to be what's happening. Maybe I should call again tomorrow to see whether the answer changes. [emoji57]

Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I've checked my account and It says "stream all you want, you've got unlimited data." Nowhere in my settings does it cap my usage or increase any fees. I've contacted Verizon for clarification and also found out by bringing my DD-214 to Verizon I was eligible for a $10 military discount.
Hmmm...might check that the discount went thru, as the site says discounts don't apply to the new unlimited plan, I thought, and I was told that my state discount would not apply if I switched.

If it works for you, that's great, and military may be different.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I currently receive a 15% military discount from Verizon. I called and asked if it would still apply to the new unlimited plan. Response "yes it would". I mentioned that contradicts the web site. Response "she would have to get further information and would call me back". This was Friday and of course still no call back.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
While these companies aren't usually accused of making logical decisions, it wouldn't make much sense to penalize their top paying customers by withholding discounts on their premier plans.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote