Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Verizon Acquires Millenicom.com Customers

Important information for Millenicom.com customers:

Millenicom customer accounts have been acquired by Verizon; and all Verizon-based Millenicom data plans (e.g., Millenicom Hotspot Plan, 20GB for $89.99) will terminate on 11/08/14.

Verizon appears to be offering former Millenicom customers a 20GB plan for $99.99 with a $10/month discount for 12 months, if one agrees to a one-year contract. Without a contract, Millenicom customers can still get 20GB for $99.99, but without the $10/month discount. Unlike Millenicom, Verizon will add taxes and fees to monthly billings.

Verizon communications to Millenicom customers are spotty, and many/most customers are completely unaware of the information contained in the articles, which appear below.

The last link contains details on contacting a special Verizon/Millenicom service representative who can handle the switch in service. At the present time, it appears that regular service representatives, local Verizon sales offices and third-party resellers are completely unaware of this transition; and they CANNOT offer the special rates described below.

Note: These links were current as of the morning of 10/29/14.

==========

Millenicom Customer Accounts Acquired by Verizon RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

Millenicom Update: Still Waiting For Options RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

Millenicom Update: November Billing & Service Questions RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

Alternative Options to Millenicom RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

Verizon Starting to Make Contact with Millenicom Customers RV Mobile Internet Resource Center

Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I became aware of this a couple of weeks ago when I read about it on another RV blog that I follow. This month (October) Verizon (and several other carriers) are offering double data plans for their higher limit data plans. We upped our data to 40G and it costs us about the same as the 6G on our old phone-only plan plus the 20G we got from Millenicom. We are reusing our Pantech JetPack on our new Verizon plan. This worked out very well for us.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Phoenix, I could not reply to your message directly, so I will do so here and hope that you get this.

We pay about $120/month (includes a 20% Ford Retiree discount) for 40GB which is less than we used to pay VZfor 6GB on our phones and Millenicom for 20GB on the JetPack. Since we were running against our 26GB cap each month and wanted more data, this transition has been good for us.

However, if you don't have data plans for your phones, and are happy with 20 GB, then you are probably best served by accepting VZ's offer of extending the Millenicom plan for another year. I believe that they will keep the $89/month pricing if you sign up for a one year contract, or will charge you $99/month if you go month to month.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
UPDATE (as of 11/21/14):

It appears Millenicom has deleted all account logon data (user IDs, passwords, etc.) for mobile broadband customers, so previous account information is unavailable. Their Website looks OK; but it appears no one is monitoring it, and it is basically inactive.

The Millenicom customers who switched to Verizon Wireless the first few days in November were offered a special 20GB plan for $99.99 per month, plus a $10.00 monthly discount for signing a one-year contract. This $89.99 discounted offer was quickly dropped, and the plan offered was (and currently is, as of 11/21/14) 20GB for $99.99 (plus fees and taxes), with no contract.

Other mobile broadband blogs and newsletters report that Verizon is currently calling all remaining Millenicom customers; and free service will continue for those who haven't already switched to Verizon or another carrier (or canceled their service) until the former Millenicom customer is contacted by a Verizon representative.

We switched to the special 20GB plan for $99.99, and our previous Millenicom $89.99 monthly bill is now $102.65 with Verizon, with no interruption in mobile broadband service.

FYI, the following text is extracted from a mobile broadband newsletter, regarding Verizon Wireless overage charges on Millenicom transfer accounts:

“For those who took the Millenicom deal and reported billing and data tracking problems – Verizon has acknowledged the problem to several customers, and says everything will be straightened out in the next billing cycle. In the meantime, those not getting reliable data tracking will supposedly not be held accountable for overages this month.”

==========

With the updates above, this discussion thread is probably closed.

So long, Millenicom; it was great while it lasted...
Old 09-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: Millenicom is Back (08/22/16)

Note to former Millenicom mobile broadband customers:

On 08/22/16, I received an e-mail announcing "Millenicom Is Back".

It looks like Millenicom is now using T-Mobile as their carrier, and they have an interesting twist on their service offerings. Without going into details, some may find the following enticing: T-Mobile's improved coverage, rollover of unused data, unlimited non-LTE data (after your LTE data limit is reached), free data for movie and music downloads, and free coverage in the USA, Canada, Mexico and 140 countries (see restrictions on their Website).

However, we are staying with Verizon due to better coverage throughout the USA, and in the boondocking locations we visit.

For more information, see Millenicom online at the same Web address.

==========

Please note that I have no connection with Millenicom/T-Mobile or Verizon Wireless, except as a former or current customer.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Verizon Acquires Millenicom.com Customers

For what it is worth I have a similar arrangement with AT&T. I just changed plans 2 weeks ago. AT&T now provide unlimited data with their standard family share plans. The catch is that you get full bandwith until you hit your cap (25G for $100/mo in my case)... Then they throttle your device down to a non-video streaming bandwidth / speed once you exceed your plan allowance so you can still do email, etc.. but cannot continue to watch videos...

The major difference is that T-mobile (and Millenicom who offer exactly the same data plans at the same rates) on the other hand allows you to stream video from 100+ providers without using up your LTE data - which is very appealing for those who wish to watch streaming video content without taking a hit to data usage...
Old 09-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
I recently checked on switching from the grandfathered "Millenicom Plan", which is 20GB for $99.99 + tax (about $103), to a new Verizon plan, 24GB for $110 with data rollover, "safety mode" (continued service at lower speed after data plan limit is used), and free coverage in Canada & Mexico.

I learned the following (partially quoted and/or reworded from online chat with Verizon) regarding unused/rollover minutes: Example, you have 24GB of data, and say you only use 20GB of data; the 4GB of unused data would carry over to the next month, so you'd have a total of 28GB (24+4=28) to use for the next month. The unused data only carries over one month at a time, and it is not accumulated month to month. Continuing with that example, in the second month with 28GB available, if only 20GB is used, only 4GB would carry over to the following month (24-20=4).

This was OK with me, but the change that kept me from switching was that the new Verizon 24GB plan would also add a LINE ACCESS FEE, which is not assessed on the grandfathered Millenicom Plan. That fee would add $20 onto the $110 per month resulting in a grand total of $130 + tax.

Thus, the additional 4GB with other plan extras would add $30/mo to our current bill. Considering that we rarely exceed our 20GB limit, the $30 would be wasted.

So, the above rationale, along with Verizon's coverage in the US, is why we are staying with the old, grandfathered Millenicom Plan...