Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #15

2009 22' Sport
San Francisco , California
The Cradlepoint CTR500 is an excellent cellular router. It comes with a cigarette lighter plug as well as AC for power. It's much easier to configure than the Netgear. It allows you to connect your cell phone to it in tether mode. It also supports connecting multiple cellular modems to it and will load balance between them.

I carry an external battery with me to power my ipod for extended periods. I've used it to power the CTR500 and use it as a pocket wifi hotspot.

-Doug

Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
We bought the Verizon MiFi 2200 today for extensive trips in late April - June. Sprint sells a version of (Novatel) MiFi 2200 too. PC Magazine likes the Sprint version a little better but I'm not sure of their coverage where we will be going. The only con with either is battery life with multiple WiFi users.
-Ken

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We got one of the Netgear wifi routers that uses our air card nearly a year ago. It works just fine. We use it in our trailers to allow both laptops to access the internet. One thing we really like about it is that it is 12v powered, uses 1 amp. Great for dry camping.
Just got two new laptops and an Epson NX515 printer with built in WIFI. They all three link together just fine with our Netgear WIFI router that uses our AT&T air card.
We can print from either laptop.

Look Ma, no wires!

Fun stuff.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've used a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router with my Verizon aircard for several years. It will work with PCI express and USB. It will work with some cell phones.

I like the concept. One of the best features is I can locate the router/aircard for the best signal in fringe areas. Sometimes I'll place it in the window, other times outside-even on the roof if necessary (weather permitting). I like the ability to use multiple computers without having to install the aircard software.

I've had the aircard/router in the trailer and used the computer outside at the table or campfire.

There's more choice now, such as the offerings listed above which serve as both the aircard and router. But I do suspect the dedicated router has more range and features.

I've run the aircard and router on inverter.. Using a Kill-A-Watt shows it draws 4-5 watts.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
the road... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
We bought the Verizon MiFi 2200 today for extensive trips in late April - June. Sprint sells a version of (Novatel) MiFi 2200 too. PC Magazine likes the Sprint version a little better but I'm not sure of their coverage where we will be going. The only con with either is battery life with multiple WiFi users.
-Ken
We also got the Verizon version of this dongle/doohickey. So far it's been great (we usually only use it when we're hooked up to power).

The only bummer is that we paid a lot of money for it before we found out that every other vendor than the one we bought from (a Verizon store no less) is giving them away with a subscription contract.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
We got the Verizon Mi Fi and installed a wi fi in motion system so that the Mi fi can use its antenna and amplifier in areas with poor reception. The mi if has worked great so far, this coming weekend we'll check out how well the combination works on our first trip. Has anyone else hooked up the mi fi to the wifi in motion system? Would appreciate hearing any of your experiences and suggestions. Thanks.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
the road... , California
Mi fi only for us. Good luck with your more mobile setup!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I'm curious, how do you have your MiFi hooked up to the antenna? I believe the MiFi's dont have an external antenna jack.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #23

Nashville , Tennessee
I'm a telecommuter. I can work anywhere as long as I have a direct connection. I'm thinking of working from a trailer but I'm not familiar with air cards/routers etc. I have to be directly connected to a Wide Area Connection (WAN) port in order for my VOIP phone to work properly. Any ideas? info?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland View Post
I'm a telecommuter. I can work anywhere as long as I have a direct connection. I'm thinking of working from a trailer but I'm not familiar with air cards/routers etc. I have to be directly connected to a Wide Area Connection (WAN) port in order for my VOIP phone to work properly. Any ideas? info?
I use both Skype (without a physical phone) and a Magic Jack (with a cordless with the wireless modem setup as I too have to telecommute (also have a cell) and I haven't had any problems with any of the setups, other than depending upon where I am parked I can experience some interference with the Magic Jack.

tbro

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #25

2009 22' Sport
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland View Post
What VOIP phone are you using, does it require a wired internet connection?

Check out the Cradlepoint routers. I use a CTR500 in my trailer. It takes either a USB or cardbus cellular modem. It creates a wifi hotspot for unlimited number of users, plus has one ethernet port for a wired connection to the internet. Its far more flexible than a MIFI. Its small and takes very little power. I run it off the house battery.

I used a wired VOIP phone from 8x8 for a while and it worked great through a Verizon USB modem through the Cradlepoint. I recently switched to using Skype directly through my iPhone. Much more convenient and portable.

Another piece of equipment you should consider is a Ruckus Metoflex 2211ext. Its a WiFi repeater (also low power and runs off 12v). It makes connecting to Rav park wifi networks more reliable, and provides a firewall between your network and the parks. As an added bonus, you can connect to Ruckus to the Cradlepoint router and the Cradlepoint will auto switch between the park and cellular networks. You just connect your computer(s) to the Cradlepoint wifi, and the Cradlepoint will automatically choose the best available internet connection for you.

I work out of my trailer as well. This setup has given me a reliable internet connection.

Doug
Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
cbstreamer: They seem to have changed the name of the product slightly, it's "MediaFlex" now, but with the same 2211-EXT model number. Do you have a permanently-mounted external antenna for it? Or do you set that up when you're hooking up the trailer at a campground?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Here's a fun article about how they keep Willie Nelson's tour bus on the net...

Willie Nelson’s Got a New Broadband Plan | Epicenter*| Wired.com

Dave
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #28

Nashville , Tennessee
My phone is a Cisco/router. Everything except the phone works with WiFi. Thanks for the information Doug.

Tags
hotspot, internet, router, wireless